A brute system revision

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ragni
Wanderer

Re: A brute system revision

Post by Ragni » 18 Feb 2015 00:57

Dread wrote:
Agree to disagree. I have no problem at all with you enjoying questing. I am glad you do. I don't, and as long as I am forced to do it while:

A. Syntax in some of the quests is a joke, requiring leaps of thinking that make NO sense.
B. Quest mobs are required that are slaughtered as part of someone's scripting route.
C. Items are required that are farmed for other purposes thus interrupting or ruining the ability to do the quest at all.
D. Quests can only be done once per armageddon.
E. (I am sure there are more)

I will campaign as strongly as possible for the removal of that requirement. I would love to see how long it took a dedicated individual to solve ALL the quests in Genesis in a vacuum. No assistance except the quest orbs. No files, no player help. I would bet anything it would NEVER happen. That is indicative of a broken system. The logical flow from one clue to the next does not exist for a great deal of the quests here.
5 years ago I was completely new to Genesis and I managed to do all the quests without access to any files but I did have lots of help from other players. I asked numerous other players in the game for quest tips and help plus at the time I regularly teamed with 3 others with whom I shared quest information. So no I don't think it's indicative of a broken system that you need to ask for player help to do the quests rather I think it encourages player interaction.

I do agree with your A,B,C and D and these are all issues that we are looking at as part of the quest reform process it's just a long and slow process.

Ragni

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Feb 2015 01:00

No matter how much we improve quests, interaction with other players will always be a must to solve quests without solutions and/or guides. But as Ragni said, that may not be a bad thing either. As I player I had the most fun solving quests without solutions, since it made me get to know a lot of people in game.

So there are positive sides to questing as well. In my opinion at least.

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 18 Feb 2015 01:09

Ragni wrote:5 years ago I was completely new to Genesis and I managed to do all the quests without access to any files but I did have lots of help from other players. I asked numerous other players in the game for quest tips and help plus at the time I regularly teamed with 3 others with whom I shared quest information. So no I don't think it's indicative of a broken system that you need to ask for player help to do the quests rather I think it encourages player interaction.

I do agree with your A,B,C and D and these are all issues that we are looking at as part of the quest reform process it's just a long and slow process.

Ragni
I am all for player interaction, but I think this is quite a stretch. Quests, IMO, should be solvable in a vacuum. Most of these are not.

Cherek wrote:No matter how much we improve quests, interaction with other players will always be a must to solve quests without solutions and/or guides. But as Ragni said, that may not be a bad thing either. As I player I had the most fun solving quests without solutions, since it made me get to know a lot of people in game.

So there are positive sides to questing as well. In my opinion at least.
I am not sure why other players will always be a must for quest solving? Why? Completing a particularly difficult quest that requires slaying a giant monster? Sure, get some friends together for a grand adventure. Requiring me to make friends because someone thought 'rummage' was a good verb to use? Dumb. :)

Nowhere have I, or will I state that quests should be removed. Questing for people who enjoy it is a grand thing. The requirement is what I want rid of.
Last edited by Dread on 18 Feb 2015 02:43, edited 1 time in total.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Feb 2015 02:17

Dread: I was just saying it's not ALL bad to get stuck on a quest since you might get friends thanks to it. If you want to find something positive with it I mean. There's never an excuse for poor syntaxes of course.

But like I said before, you're more than welcome to help out with making things better. I've PM'ed you about it.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 18 Feb 2015 12:10

I like that quest exp is not lost on death. if there was 1type of exp that would not be the case.
you could always change the pacivist bonus to be something other than exp. lets say low bruit gives a luck bonus for imbue drops, or a small health and or mana bonus. these will also make questing more useful to young members as extra money/health is way more visable when your small. and less important to people who have done all the easy quests and have to depend on weeklys.

also more repeatable quests could help the big folk. as they are less likly to have syntax issues.

Kilrayne
Apprentice

Post by Kilrayne » 20 Mar 2015 22:34

Realize this conversation has gone dormant a bit, but have been considering the issue myself lately. I like questing, and am one of the people ( I guess rare) who enjoy solving puzzles and discovering new secrets. While I agree that the syntax in some tasks can be extremely painful, overall I'm satisfied with the quest system in the game. That said, fully understand concerns expressed by others on the matter, and was wondering if the following suggestion might work.

I've heard many and varied opinions on the brute/qxp ratio, how to best optimize xp overall, etc, and it's still clear as mud (no pun!) to me. What if, instead of having a ratio, you have a flat brute tax. Basically the same percentage from the creation of your character through myth. Brute tax is like guild tax today, you pay in combat xp. The purpose of Quest xp, then, would be to get an alternative, untaxed xp, as well as to reduce your overall brute tax. So let's say the brute tax is 15%. If you never wanted to do a quest, you'd pay 15%, forever. But if you wanted to pay less, you start questing. the more quests you do, the less tax you pay, with tax being reduced in tiers. (number of quests done/number of total quests in realm would determine your tier).

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/