Herbs needs to be looked at

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drip
Wanderer

Re: Herbs needs to be looked at

Post by Drip » 28 Mar 2015 21:30

The Gardeners should have more herbing commands and stuff like <lfind> , instead of having the highest herbalism level.

Make herbalism cost more to level up, but gardeners have their book and scroll, and maybe other tools to help finding herbs faster?

P.S. (what's a qarraba)
(if you don't understand what I've written, assume I have bad wording)

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 28 Mar 2015 21:33

Drip wrote:The Gardeners should have more herbing commands and stuff like <lfind> , instead of having the highest herbalism level.

Make herbalism cost more to level up, but gardeners have their book and scroll, and maybe other tools to help finding herbs faster?

P.S. (what's a qarraba)
A jar, to keep and sort your herbs. You buy it at the bazaar in Sybarus.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 28 Mar 2015 22:57

Why would eating an herb have a different effect on your body due to your herbalism skill?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 28 Mar 2015 23:02

Mortis wrote:Why would eating an herb have a different effect on your body due to your herbalism skill?
Because with higher herbalism you'll know that chewing it 10 times is better than chewing it 7 times? Just a suggestion.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 28 Mar 2015 23:14

So now that I know chewing it that many times is better, why do I need herbalism?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Mar 2015 03:02

Mortis wrote:So now that I know chewing it that many times is better, why do I need herbalism?
There are definitely ways we could thematically justify it. A trained herbalist knows how to properly harvest the herb, whereas an untrained hand might damage the most valuable parts and make it far less effective. A trained herbalist knows that the herb is more effective when eaten on an empty stomach. A trained herbalist knows that the herb will be less effective on the half-moon. Etc. etc. etc.

If what we want to do is make herbalism more important, the themes are there for us to creatively imagine. The question is whether we want to introduce that mechanic.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 29 Mar 2015 07:21

That's always the first question I want to know in these complaint/suggestion threads:

What's the problem we're trying to address? Then, why is it a problem? And, how is what's being proposed going to address it?

Thematically, you'd have to do better. A guru herbalist could give the "properly harvested herb" to a friend. Why wouldn't it be fully effective then? Or purchased from a store after having been so harvested? I like the concept of players as herbalists. You increase your game knowledge of herbs, you benefit thereby. You learn that an herb is better under the full moon, you benefit. You learn to chew an herb vs. eating it, you benefit. The skill doesn't define that, the player's skill level or experience does. Herbs have always been a kind of equalizer in that regard. If you want to learn them and take the (extensive) time required to accumulate them, then you benefit. You benefit at the rate that anyone else in the game does, 1/minute.

It's hard to balance a game this complex. People complain that it's too easy to see in the dark for long periods of time. That's true, so you can complain I guess.

However, were that to be changed, the complaint would be, "Someone came into the room with 12 levels of darkness, and I had no chance to see them! I got slaughtered or they stole and looted my kill, and I don't even know who did it."

People can heal themselves without a layman cleric or spell guild or heal spells by just using herbs and alcohol. That's true, so you can complain I guess.

If you take that away, the complaint would be, "I stand around healing after battles, and it's sucky and boring. I wish there were a way to speed that up and maximize my limited play time."

It's not easy for sure :)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 29 Mar 2015 10:10

This thread is about herbs that has effects that has gone out of proportion. Some people pay taxes for these abilites while other can gain it for free, not fair in my eyes.

The way herbalism could be used to limit the effect of herbs was just an idea, you can adress this issue in other ways.

Mortis; Obviously you will be negatively affected by such a change, I suggest you find a guild with those abilities instead. For the record, some of my points is a suggestion for improvement on herbs and you only read it as complaints?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 29 Mar 2015 14:16

Mortis wrote:That's always the first question I want to know in these complaint/suggestion threads:

What's the problem we're trying to address? Then, why is it a problem? And, how is what's being proposed going to address it?

Thematically, you'd have to do better. A guru herbalist could give the "properly harvested herb" to a friend. Why wouldn't it be fully effective then? Or purchased from a store after having been so harvested? I like the concept of players as herbalists. You increase your game knowledge of herbs, you benefit thereby. You learn that an herb is better under the full moon, you benefit. You learn to chew an herb vs. eating it, you benefit. The skill doesn't define that, the player's skill level or experience does. Herbs have always been a kind of equalizer in that regard. If you want to learn them and take the (extensive) time required to accumulate them, then you benefit. You benefit at the rate that anyone else in the game does, 1/minute.

It's hard to balance a game this complex. People complain that it's too easy to see in the dark for long periods of time. That's true, so you can complain I guess.

However, were that to be changed, the complaint would be, "Someone came into the room with 12 levels of darkness, and I had no chance to see them! I got slaughtered or they stole and looted my kill, and I don't even know who did it."

People can heal themselves without a layman cleric or spell guild or heal spells by just using herbs and alcohol. That's true, so you can complain I guess.

If you take that away, the complaint would be, "I stand around healing after battles, and it's sucky and boring. I wish there were a way to speed that up and maximize my limited play time."

It's not easy for sure :)
A. Shit ton of torches, guild with darkvision, darkvision items, light imbuements.

B. Join a healing guild, get a member of a healing guild to follow you, healing imbuements

I mean it is kind of funny because you are right and I remember reading a few posts over the years of those exact same complaints, now it's reversed.

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 29 Mar 2015 14:30

Greneth wrote:B. Join a healing guild, get a member of a healing guild to follow you, healing imbuements
It is a fact that rangers were highly sought after by knights, calians and other "goodies" for healing on big grinding.

It is also a fact that that with the restrictions a ranger have hardcoded and the fact that 99% of these do not apply to SCoP make SCoP immensely more popular for this task today.
Flee you fools!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/