Guild and race balance.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Chanele
Champion

Guild and race balance.

Post by Chanele » 05 Apr 2015 10:35

So, I'll start with asking a question. Which is the undisputed strongest melee race out there?

Currently, when guilds are balanced, only the abilities are tested against each other. The test subjects has equal stats, something that is not a reality in todays Genesis. I think a very important factor is being ignored when these tests are conducted, Race possibilities.

The goblin race are very strong when it comes to melee. Just look at the rankings, there are very few races that can compete with them. This is a big concern when you match guilds like the Dragonarmies and Knights of Solamnia, something that also has effect on the activity in said guilds.

Personally I would like to see a change in race benefits, smooth out the differencies at end game sizes. One way to do this is to make it harder to advance in stats that are much higher than the avarage stat.

If nothing is done with the race inbalance problem I suggest that guilds that can not benefit from this is compensated in stronger abilities.

Balance today is only on paper, not in reality.
Any thoughts on this?

Alorrana
Myth

Re: Guild and race balance.

Post by Alorrana » 05 Apr 2015 13:50

why not just leave it.. there HAS to be differences.. Its fantasy..

Think they should perhaps toss in some bonuses if you where human in BDA.

You could get a better dragon than the goblins, cause your a human and can
train it better, more clever. so it does more dam.

As for the knights.. humans.. Well they do suck terribly, but couldnt they get
a bonus attack or something too? when mounted they could buy and fit armours
to their horses, and then get a ramming special with a stunn chance. ?

But i dont think we should all just be the same, balanced puppies bumping in to
eachother. there NEEDS to be a different.. Dont nerf to balance.. Improve the guilds
to match insted.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 05 Apr 2015 14:03

IMo there SHOULD be differences, but the ones we have now are just to big, minor bonuses to stats sure, but the insane hobbit dex? The insane goblin str? The Gnome int?
Sure they get minuses but alot of races such as goblins arent really getting a real minus, some int etc, who cares?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 05 Apr 2015 14:31

Just know that if they nerf any race. it will be unplayable. like all the
guilds they nerf.. people dont want to be in them.. And i can assume
it would be the same with the races if they got nerfed.

Problem is with Balance/nerfs on races and guilds are not done propperly
they just get a good old beating with the Balance/nerf hammer and end
up sucking.. and then the players can pick up the pieces and try figure
out how to make it work.

Dont do this..

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 05 Apr 2015 15:10

There was a recent discussion on racestat modifiers, I remember.

I don't think it's necessary to nerf races, but rather just make races with equal stats (raise them all up to the highest one for each race), and let the "set" command while meditating dictate which stat you'd like to concentrate on.

If this is done, I'd think we could see more roleplay and less powergaming. Not that powergaming is "bad", but everyone would have the chance to roleplay AND powergame, instead of having to choose one over the other. Powergame on your own, and then roleplay with your guild and/or other interactions. Wonderful.

At the moment, races are chosen due to their stats and desired guild limitations instead of the role you want to play. The guild limitation makes total sense, but the stats, meh? Differences are good, but maybe just a 1-2% thing instead of the existing one?

If you pay attention to the younglings arriving at Genesis now, you see that most of them want to roleplay. Not hardcore elite rp such as found in elite guilds, but they want their character to "make sense".

There are elven archers, wildrunners, gnomish inventors, etc. That should say something.

Most of them are reviving guilds that were a bit forgotten. What kind of powergamer with 20+ years experience in the game would become an elven archer? A thief? (What exactly do thieves pay a guild tax for?).

Anyway, I could be wrong. I'm not as experienced as 99% of you, but just my two copper.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 05 Apr 2015 15:35

Question, though.

I've only been around for two years, so I'm not sure.

Was it always like this with races? They always had differences?

From what I've heard, RP was a bit more hard-core before? What made it change?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 05 Apr 2015 17:04

Alorrana wrote:why not just leave it.. there HAS to be differences.. Its fantasy..

Think they should perhaps toss in some bonuses if you where human in BDA.

You could get a better dragon than the goblins, cause your a human and can
train it better, more clever. so it does more dam.

As for the knights.. humans.. Well they do suck terribly, but couldnt they get
a bonus attack or something too? when mounted they could buy and fit armours
to their horses, and then get a ramming special with a stunn chance. ?

But i dont think we should all just be the same, balanced puppies bumping in to
eachother. there NEEDS to be a different.. Dont nerf to balance.. Improve the guilds
to match insted.
We do not need to nerf it but we need to compensate in guild balance if it remains as it is. I'm all for differencies between races but it needs to be balanced. Remember à few years ago when hobbits were the dominant race? They got nerfed because it was to good compared to other races, this is a simular case and needs to be adressed one way or the other.

Why would it be bad to have a check against avg. stats to give bonus/decrease on stat exp gained? Right now we have a bunch of mini ogres roaming the lands. Goblins would still have an advantage but not as much as today.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 05 Apr 2015 17:22

hobbits where the uber ?? that passed me.. well many many things do :)

But ok, what im saying.. balance it ok.. but balance it.. dont go nutts as
wizards do when they Balance/nerf things..

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 05 Apr 2015 19:43

Alorrana wrote:hobbits where the uber ?? that passed me.. well many many things do :)

But ok, what im saying.. balance it ok.. but balance it.. dont go nutts as
wizards do when they Balance/nerf things..

Back when dex was everything, and they didnt nerf hobbits, they changed the combat system making Dex not the primary stat but str

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 05 Apr 2015 21:40

Aristos wrote:Question, though.

I've only been around for two years, so I'm not sure.

Was it always like this with races? They always had differences?

From what I've heard, RP was a bit more hard-core before? What made it change?
What made it change was 5% RP Content added to the game and 95% Size, Grinding and NPC changes. Lack of enforced RP, Allowance of Scripting... really the list goes on and on. But when the game caters to the power player RP took a huge hit. It's at the point now where it's pointless to RP, there are no benefits and as stated previously the racial differences are so dramatic with all the power players theres no need to choose anything but Goblin. Maybe Dwarf or Human based on Guilds.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/