Roleplay and the new "who" command

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Roleplay and the new "who" command

Post by Aristos » 15 Apr 2015 10:50

Just an opinion:

I think one of the things hindering curiosity when meeting others is the "who" command that allows you to see people which you haven't met. In the past months, we've had some posts on how "nobody stops to interact" in Sparkle or any other place, and in my humble opinion I think the "who" command discourages roleplay in the following ways:

1. Why should I stop to interact? I can easily deduce who this person is, if I'm interested, by checking the "who" command and "nlist". If I'm interested in interacting, I do so, but if I'm not, I already get the information I want. In other words, meeting someone doesn't really spark curiosity, fear.

2. The command itself discourages roleplay: why should I know of a person that is currently walking the realms if I haven't met him/her ?

3. Younglings requiring signatures for their census quest can just mass mail people they don't know.

The newbie line is different since I can decide if I want to be listed or not, same with the web rankings.

But, if a person isn't curious about this other traveller he's meeting because he can already go ahead and say "Hi <x>" without even knowing who this person is, then there's little chance of roleplay happening. Now, if there was no way (except through experience, connections, etc) of knowing who this person was, one could look at the person, see what he's wearing, become curious, interested, whatever, and try to interact with this person.

What's your opinion on this?

Greneth

Re: Roleplay and the new "who" command

Post by Greneth » 15 Apr 2015 12:09

I thought it was a bad idea years ago and still do.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 15 Apr 2015 12:24

Think its good to have a who list. so newcommers can see that there is actually people online and awake.

Im for the nline, love when people chatter and have fun there. good to see the game like that, feels alive.

but its against the rules.. so.. i donno, people use skype or messenger, and rarely speak in game. then the rp will slowly fade away.. only used for introes and short talks.

make a rp line where people can rp on, to team and so. but keep it rp. and an on and off switch ;)
just like the nline..

people are use to the wowish general chat window, diablo has it. all games have it.. we dont. and the one we have we have strict rules on how to use it.. so perhaps give the people what they want. will and measures to rp freely and chitter chatter.

wouldnt hurt my butt. Yours ?
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 15 Apr 2015 12:35

I didn't like the who list when it came and I still don't.
People used to join RMC and raise in title for the rc list and I liked the idea of having to have lists from different guilds and clubs to identify someone or know when they are awake.

In the old who list you could still see how many players were awake just not their names so they would still see that there are people around.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 15 Apr 2015 13:00

who cares :P

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 15 Apr 2015 15:20

Yes. I do not care about 'who' command, neither about new guys comments on interacting.

When i stopped and "interacted" with some guys, they were (really) pissed off
as i was not being "nice" to them. If interacting is patting on heads and telling
them they are cool, then count me out.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 15 Apr 2015 17:16

Syrk wrote:Yes. I do not care about 'who' command, neither about new guys comments on interacting.

When i stopped and "interacted" with some guys, they were (really) pissed off
as i was not being "nice" to them. If interacting is patting on heads and telling
them they are cool, then count me out.
You interacted with me and i was far from pissed, then again were on different sides but i still had fun. I never would of expected you to be nice in the first place though nor should you expect me to be nice and friendly. ;-)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 15 Apr 2015 18:26

I think the change to who list served a purpose when we had low numbers of players, making the game feel more alive. Now this has changed and I think we could go back to the old system.

It's not really an issue for me personally, Aristos reasons has never been a problem for me.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 15 Apr 2015 18:34

I didn't like the changes to the who list before and I still am not a fan of them. Made items (torque) and lists like the above mentioned kind of pointless.

My suggestion then and what it would still be now is that as long as you are considered a newbie (newbie pin available) you can see players known to you and players not known to you. Once you transition to helper you are on your own.

Sure there's a potential for abuse where people log in a newbie to check out who's all awake and then log in their main but players awake changes every minute so its not that great of an exploit.

It will also bring back the usefulness of Mages (forget name) and SCOP's (divine name) back because you know we wouldn't want to tax them any more than is necessary. :twisted: :twisted:

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 16 Apr 2015 13:11

I actually think the new who system doesn't go far enough.

Logically, as a player progresses in fame/infamy, their titles should become more obvious. An unknown legend? That makes no sense.

Anyway, for the new or returning player the detailed who list adds to the interest new players are likely to have. I know when i started playing Genesis I fell in love with the title of the leaders of the Vampyrs... Undead Master of the Nether Planes??? Noble Gogonaur of the Deaths Elements?? I wanted to know who these people were, and spent lots of my early time in Genesis seeking these mysterious characters out. I never ended up becoming a vampyr, but those early days certainly influenced what I ended up becoming.

Genesis guilds are rich in title description. Why on earth would we want to hide it? Text is what our game is based on, and something we should be harnessing rather than hiding. I think as players increase in level/rank etc there reaches a point where they should become known by everyone as default.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/