Global Chat

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Vlek
Wanderer

Global Chat

Post by Vlek » 07 May 2015 07:11

After a long discussion with many players about the etiquette of the newbie help line, it became abundantly clear that there needs to be a place where players can speak to each other en mass within the game without there being rules other than playing nicely with others.

My idea: create an item that allows sending global messages to all of those who are also wearing the item that also has other options such as knowing who all is in the global chat, being able to ignore people within global chat, possibly sending private messages, turning on and off a curse word filter, and reporting system that allows one to notify wizards of those who they feel are harassing them.

I believe that my idea fits the needs of people who are on both sides of the fence when it comes to global messages. If you do not like the concept of a global chat, then do not wear the item and you will not be subjected to it. If you do not like a particular player, then ignore them using the item and you will not have to hear from them. If you're okay with chatting but you don't like swearing, go ahead and turn that curse word filter on.

Ives
Beginner

Re: Global Chat

Post by Ives » 07 May 2015 07:16

I think this is a great idea and would love to see it implemented.

Greneth, most chat lines/forums have volunteer moderators, right? I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would be willing to help with that if it was necessary. From what I've seen on ntell though, most off-topic or off-color comments are shot down very quickly - there seems to be a good deal of automatic moderating happening anyway.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 07 May 2015 07:26

Ives wrote:I think this is a great idea and would love to see it implemented.

Greneth, most chat lines/forums have volunteer moderators, right? I'm sure that there are plenty of people who would be willing to help with that if it was necessary. From what I've seen on ntell though, most off-topic or off-color comments are shot down very quickly - there seems to be a good deal of automatic moderating happening anyway.
And who polices the favoritism? We have had several chat lines over the years on forum boards, facebook etc. Each one of them has failed even with volunteer moderators. I fail to see how spending time coding one to add into the game would be any different. It's not like this is the first time this idea has been tried or even thought of.

Furthermore a global line destroys what little roleplay we do have and I don't imagine most guilds would see the need in even using their messaging spells, which they pay a tax for. Nor would we have a need for the various messengers in game because everyone would just be asking for teams/questions about random things on the global line. What is being asked to create is destroying much more and there isn't a single thing preventing anyone from starting up their own chat room like many have done in the past.

Based on the Vleks behavior on the current line we have I see absolutely no reason to code such a thing just so he would be able to continue to do so and promote others to act in such a way. If one cannot follow simple rules what makes you believe he or others will listen to a volunteer moderator?

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 07 May 2015 07:37

Greneth wrote:If one cannot follow simple rules what makes you believe he or others will listen to a volunteer moderator?
Let me stop you there. The rules that you're referring to are the rules of the Newbie chat line. If you have such a HUGE, insurmountable issue with global chats, then you can, just as I mentioned in the topic post, choose not to use it. That's the beauty of what I'm suggesting. I'm not saying, "Hey Genesis, make this thing for me because I want it", I'm more than willing to write up a prototype that's basically a mock version of the ntell line with added features. Thank you for your two cents, but I think you're missing the point. There are those, especially the newer people it seems, that want to be able to talk to others in game. How do you expect people to meet up, get a group going, and do something in this game by bumping into each other? There's generally 30 people online, and there are literally thousands of tiles a player can be. A lot of the new players have little to no MUD experience, so they don't get nor are anywhere near happy with the in-game mail system. It's thoroughly inadequate for a game being played in this decade to condone such an outcasting, hermit environment. You're perpetuating a culture of silence for the simple fact that that has been how it is. I'm sorry, but your reasoning seems irreparably faulty.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 07 May 2015 08:47

This has been suggested before and Gorboth clearly stated that this will not happen while he is in charge of the game. I agree with him, a global chat does not fit in Genesis. The newbie line is an exception for obvious reasons even though it often is used as a chat it has an important role.

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 07 May 2015 09:35

vlek wrote:After a long discussion with many players about the etiquette of the newbie help line, it became abundantly clear that there needs to be a place where players can speak to each other en mass within the game without there being rules other than playing nicely with others.

My idea: create an item that allows sending global messages to all of those who are also wearing the item that also has other options such as knowing who all is in the global chat, being able to ignore people within global chat, possibly sending private messages, turning on and off a curse word filter, and reporting system that allows one to notify wizards of those who they feel are harassing them.

I believe that my idea fits the needs of people who are on both sides of the fence when it comes to global messages. If you do not like the concept of a global chat, then do not wear the item and you will not be subjected to it. If you do not like a particular player, then ignore them using the item and you will not have to hear from them. If you're okay with chatting but you don't like swearing, go ahead and turn that curse word filter on.
there is such thing, search for palanthirs :D

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 07 May 2015 09:47

big NO to this idea

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 07 May 2015 09:58

why not? they will have fun with searching :)

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 07 May 2015 16:33

I want a chat channel, I'm so bored when playing since none wanna team up with me.
Just have player or wizard moderators and it will be cool, trust people. There are no big
secrets anymore so just ease up a Little.
Of course a chat channel should be mainly ooc :)
Not a datechannel however, mainly aimed at Laurel who's been at it for quite some time.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 07 May 2015 17:06

Laurel has been at it on you aswell...? Persistent to say the least.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/