Issue with the main website

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kaiya
Greenhorne

Issue with the main website

Post by Kaiya » 07 Oct 2015 18:10

Hi guys,

I'm brand new. So far I'm really liking Genesis. Only got to play a few hours last night, and now I'm at work and am frustrated that I can't be at home learning this new game :/ While I am really enjoying what Genesis has to offer so far, I wanted to make a suggestion about genesismud.org.

My main issue is that the entire website really skips over what Genesis is all about. It really doesn't describe the theme of the game at all. It talks about how long it's been around a lot, and that's great. But for a new person trying to figure out if this is their genre/niche, that's incredibly difficult based on the website alone. I actually had to go to the "Community" section and find the Wikipedia to figure out what the game is about, and even that was still pretty vague. And someone shouldn't have to go to another website to figure out what the game is. The game's own website should be boasting about it.

Really don't mean to come off as too critical. But in perusing the forums, I see many posts about how to promote the game and get new players, so I can tell this is really important to the Immortals. The website should be #1 priority, and I think you may be losing new players to it not being clear what Genesis is all about. Not everyone will sit and investigate like I do, they'll just move on.

I also don't mean this to sound like the website is bad. It's actually pretty neat! I just think it's lacking this critical piece of information.

Super excited to start RPing with all of you!

Ody
Hero

Re: Issue with the main website

Post by Ody » 07 Oct 2015 19:23

The game isn't about any one thing in particular. If you want to know if it fits in with your "genre" check under words. Genesis is based off of a lot of different works. LOTR and D&D just to name a few. It's the people who play Genesis that make it special not an underlining story. Welcome to the doughnut enjoy your stay.

Kaiya
Greenhorne

Post by Kaiya » 07 Oct 2015 19:51

Ody wrote:The game isn't about any one thing in particular. If you want to know if it fits in with your "genre" check under words. Genesis is based off of a lot of different works. LOTR and D&D just to name a few. It's the people who play Genesis that make it special not an underlining story. Welcome to the doughnut enjoy your stay.
This is actually exactly my point. None of the information you said really comes across unless you do some research, which I think turns some people off.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 07 Oct 2015 20:05

Elyssia wrote:This is actually exactly my point. None of the information you said really comes across unless you do some research, which I think turns some people off.
A lot of the fun in Genesis is you can make it what you want, everything blends. You want to be a Gladiator, Shieldbearer hobbit from Middle Earth? You can. A Dunedain Monk? Yup you can do it. How about a Ranger with ties to the clans of Khalakor? Absolutely! The newbies who stay are the ones who realise everything blends and they can make the game and themselves whatever they want it to be.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Oct 2015 21:32

Thanks for the feedback Elyssia. I am the one who created the current webpage layout. Funny that my main arguments all the time about the old page was that we're most likely not catching anyone's attention, after grumbling about it for quite some time I simply decided to do something about it myself. So about a year ago I completely redesigned it with a much more modern look, with the main goal of catching people's attention. (Exactly the thing you do not think it does.:P). Ever since we got on the chrome store and updated the webpage player numbers have been rising, so hopefully it does help at least some compared to before. But everything can of course always improve. It's far from perfect.

The goal with the new page was to make it simple to navigate, with only the most basic info on the main page, but be eye-catching enough so you decide hit the "play now" button, and learn about the game inside the game. Some of the content I copied from the old page, and some players helped out with information in the "guide" and "world" section, and I wrote the rest so there's at least basic info there, but that's about it right now. But no, it does not contain that much "deep" info. Why? Well, it's simple really, someone has to do it. I think it would be cool if we had more in depth info about the game, and I'd happily welcome anyone who wants to help out with that. Genesis is a big game, run be a small number of volunteers, and everyone is welcome to help out.

I would like to expand the website with all sorts of things, like a big graphic world atlas, deeper info about domains, quest information, better guild info, all sorts of things. Anyone who wants to write for the webpage is welcome to contact me by any means possible. Regardless if you're a "new" or "old" player.

It's kind of interesting though that we really do not mention that it's a fantasy game anywhere (should be obvious from the pictures but still), but I am sure we've missed some basic stuff that we old players just take for granted, but that someone like you, who have fresh eyes, might notice much easier. So input from new players is really important.

Feel free to make more detailed suggested on things that could be changed to make things more interesting. Major redesign or new a lot new content would require someone to volunteer to do it, as we currently do not have a person responsible for the webpage. I am the closest thing we got, but my main job as Arch of Players, so I will have limited time to work on the webpage. But if you have some simple changes that you think would make the first impression better, and tell a little more about the game itself, I am listening!:)

Kaiya
Greenhorne

Post by Kaiya » 07 Oct 2015 23:51

Hi Cherek! I'd first like to say that your effort into the website completely shows. Kudos to you on a great job.
Cherek wrote: So about a year ago I completely redesigned it with a much more modern look, with the main goal of catching people's attention. (Exactly the thing you do not think it does.:P).
I totally think it is attention grabbing! Just a bit information lacking. Not saying an entire overhaul needs to be made or anything, just think a little more information about what you're actually getting yourself into while playing would be nice :) Though, I realize I am a very neurotic and thorough person who will literally spend hours research a game before ever trying it for the first time. So there is the very real possibility the problem is me and not the website!

I'll try to think of things that might improve the website. I don't understand mechanics at all (this will become very evident on the forums and in game), but I can come up with ideas.

(I also have a running list of things I notice that I love about Genesis, and things I don't love if you ever want to read it. I do this for every new game I try. I told you, I'm a freak. And presumptuous.)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/