Observation on brutality vs. quests

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Observation on brutality vs. quests

Post by Cherek » 17 Oct 2015 14:09

Aristos wrote: I'll take your word for it since I can't see numbers, but you're doing a wonderful job and I believe you, as I do any wizard who tells me anything.

Just one thing I do have to say is that regardless of the quantity of people who benefit from this, regardless of their age, it is still a reality. A small advantage is still an advantage.

The new system should allow no exceptions whatsoever. No special cases.
When you finish a quest you get a pre-set amount of QXP, and that's it. It can't really be changed afterwards unless you do it manually for each player. Should we change the amount of XP a quest gives, any new player doing the quest would get the new amount, but the old player would still have the old amount. This unfortunately means it's basically impossible to change the amount of XP a quest gives, since it would cause an unfair advantage for new players, leaving us with the rewards at the time quests were created. In some cases over two decades ago. Which was a time when characters were A LOT smaller than they are today.

I agree the quest XP cap is not the perfect solution, but it's still far better then before when really old characters had a pretty big advantage, at least now it's smaller. I think everyone wants a better solution, and it would be great to be able to adjust quest XP rewards as well, but in order to do that we would need a considerable recode of how the system works. There's been a lot of discussion about this, but it's massive job and so far no wizard has decided they want to tackle it. And like I said, this applies to a VERY small numbers of characters. For the large majority of the playerbase, questing is completely fair.
Aristos wrote: Btw, when you say "all our current quests", do you mean those from the orbs or all of them? Keep in mind please that not every newcomer will be able to do all the orb quests. Things will hold you back, things like race, align, and guild affiliations.

So, if we substract those, we're a bit further apart from that cap that gives us equal opportunities.
Not sure what you mean with "those from the orbs or all of them"? All quests available should be in the orbs. I know there are a couple of exceptions (3 I think) where the quest only shows up in the orb _after_ you've solved it, something that really should be fixed, but other than that ALL quests in the game should be in the orbs.

But a newcomer has the same chance of doing all the quests in the orb as an old player. The race, align and guild restrictions on some quests applied when older players did them too, so nothing different there. Actually, in some regards older players had it worse since some guilds were more restrictive about races, and we did not have all these sub-races that can help you get around such restrictions sometimes. And not to mention we did not have the orbs at all, meaning we never knew how many quests existed, and there were no hint system. And let's not forget that the quests in the tutorial are unavailable for all old players, actually giving new players a slight quest XP advantage. A new player could theoretically get more QXP than Cherek, created in -97, should I still be a mortal. So I don't really agree old players have an advantage unless you're really really ancient enough to have XP from now closed quests. I believe the last quest that closed did so a few years before the new millennia. And that's not yesterday...:)

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 18 Oct 2015 14:43

Cherek dont tell me you (wizards) cant write script, which add diifference between new and old amount of XP from quest and automatically add it to old chars who done it?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Oct 2015 15:24

Irk wrote:Cherek dont tell me you (wizards) cant write script, which add diifference between new and old amount of XP from quest and automatically add it to old chars who done it?
I am not saying it can't be done, but it still means someone must volunteer to do it. And no, it's not just about writing a script. It will be a big job no matter how you do it. And it's not something just any wizard could do. We maybe have a handful, who's skilled enough to pull it off safely.

But before that, we need to decide HOW quest xp should be recalculated, or IF it should? How does that affect other things? If suddenly all players get more quest XP they'll be less brutal, be able to grind more, and increase in size even more. Is that a good thing? Or do we need to recalculate brute as well? Or maybe brute should be removed altogether?

Also we need to figure out WHY we should do it. What problem are we trying to solve? If the problem is quests give unbalanced amount of rewards, then one solution could of course be to remove quest XP from too high rewarding quest, and distribute it to low rewarding quests, leaving the total quest XP in the realms the same.

Another solution could be to leave QXP alone, and instead add other types of reward to quests with poor rewards. Money, items, general XP for example, to make them more attractive.

There's many solutions that could be found. Some harder, some easier to implement, but in all of them we need a wizard with both skill and motivation to take on this big task.

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 18 Oct 2015 16:08

there is no good solution for new players to catch old players who play this game for 20years. Even if you set cap size to fresh myth, new player (and i say really new player not another alt) needs LOTS of time to reach such size. So i am not sure is it really something you should bother with. There will be always someone better, bigger, stronger.
However there is one excellent system to negate all differences in sizes - imbues. With them you can really easily, negate you are smaller and have fun with myth stats :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Oct 2015 23:46

Irk wrote:there is no good solution for new players to catch old players who play this game for 20years. Even if you set cap size to fresh myth, new player (and i say really new player not another alt) needs LOTS of time to reach such size. So i am not sure is it really something you should bother with. There will be always someone better, bigger, stronger.
However there is one excellent system to negate all differences in sizes - imbues. With them you can really easily, negate you are smaller and have fun with myth stats :)
Except those who use imbues the most are... myths.:) So I am not so sure imbues is the solution to player size differences. It could be, if imbues were capped as well. Say you could never get above supreme stats, in any way. Then it would definitely help. Not sure what you mega myths would say about that though...

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 20 Oct 2015 00:30

because most active players in game are myths :)
But as i said, you cant expect new player will catch old players in the blink of eye. When they reach 1000days we can speak about sizes :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Oct 2015 02:52

Irk wrote:because most active players in game are myths :)
But as i said, you cant expect new player will catch old players in the blink of eye. When they reach 1000days we can speak about sizes :)
I am thinking something in-between "the blink of an eye" and 1.000 days would be preferable though.:)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/