roleplay tutorial

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Azuri
Beginner

roleplay tutorial

Post by Azuri » 18 Dec 2015 05:13

I also would like to propose a segment or if possible second tutorial on using emotions to characters to get new players use to using emotions and adverbs.

Like the quest could be getting read to go to s festival from being an outfit to dancing and talking to others.

I think this will encourage more roleplay within the game as well, as fresh players like me will learn the commands of emotions and adverb use, a bit better.

Caramell
Novice

Re: roleplay tutorial

Post by Caramell » 13 Jun 2019 18:16

Yes, I agree. There should definitely be something like this. But maybe make it optional? I know a lot of people that don't focus much on role playing.

Maybe there would be a guide there to teach you? And it would be like an empty place where you can just practice for yourself.

Would it be like the actual tutorial? Not able to go back ever? Or could you use it as a practice place? Would there be private rooms for people who want to practice by themselves?

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 14 Jun 2019 06:22

There is a difference between knowing which emotes to use, knowing when to use them, and all around role-playing. I wish the difference was clearer at times. Playing a role means having a backstory to your character, making decisions based on that backstory, maintaining consistency and coherence in your actions, and creating an immersive experience when you interact with others. We've a need for suspension of disbelief in the game in many factors, so this is no easy task. However, some opportunities provide for a more immersive experience, such as:

If you're going to be chatting with someone in a café, does it make sense for you to keep your weapons wielded, wear a helmet, or carry a backpack?

If you're talking to someone, what is the subtle difference between using 'say' in general or 'say to'? This is especially important in a room with more than one person.

A gesture can mean a thousand words. How do you acknowledge someone's comment? Do you fleetingly look at them? Do you address their words?

If you're hunting together with someone, does it make sense to have a philosophical conversation while you're trying to survive an encounter with 3-4 mobs?

Roleplaying is more or less like writing: use all five senses to communicate something, stay consistent within your character, and do not under any circumstances use things like 'asay ooc' or mix up your persona with your character. It can be incredibly difficult to separate them once you've grown used to mixing them, and it also throws people off (is he saying that in-char now, or ooc?). For me at least, and this is something rare in the game, it is important to strike a balance between making decisions based on what your character knows rather than what you know and being conveniently oblivious to things that will eventually damage you. I've been strict to a fault in the past when it comes to being fair in roleplaying and I have learned that although it can be considered virtuous, it is by no means a way to make it too far into the game. People will have no scruples when it comes to using every means and knowledge necessary to achieve their goals regardless of how that might or not be considered roleplaying. However, be careful not to turn into what you dislike when trying to find that balance. It's a daily struggle.

Other than that, if it helps, at least mechanically speaking I began by trying out every emote on npcs, keeping a list of my favorite ones in an open file next to the mud client, and once I had grown comfortable with those I moved on to explore others if they fit the context.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 14 Jun 2019 06:28

Caramell wrote:Yes, I agree. There should definitely be something like this. But maybe make it optional? I know a lot of people that don't focus much on role playing.

Maybe there would be a guide there to teach you? And it would be like an empty place where you can just practice for yourself.

Would it be like the actual tutorial? Not able to go back ever? Or could you use it as a practice place? Would there be private rooms for people who want to practice by themselves?
Some guilds have the luxury of having a specific room with very useful npc and room attributes which allow you to see how your emotes look on the first, second, and third person. This should be a common feature to everyone in the game, I agree.

Okotok
Wanderer

Post by Okotok » 14 Jun 2019 07:11

Dhez wrote:I began by trying out every emote on npcs, keeping a list of my favorite ones in an open file next to the mud client, and once I had grown comfortable with those I moved on to explore others if they fit the context.
I use this method all the time!

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 14 Jun 2019 07:43

Although i agree with Dhez (i hardly use emotes, but i think Goldbezie has become a nice stable character), i do like the idea suggested here.

Roleplay is pretty hard, some are much better at it than others.
Also giving good emotes as an extra reward for a quest would work great to get people more interested in doing them.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 14 Jun 2019 07:50

The only thing I'd add is to not place this tutorial room or area within the newbie beginners area, which would only create an influx of alts used to try emotes out. I'd suggest perhaps expanding on the idea (whatever happened to it?) of using the pub in Sparkle. There could be a room you rent (instanced, so different for every player) for a low price which would have an echo of sorts to your emotions and a mannequin you could perform emotes on and the echo would reverberate how it looks. Example:

'You smile happily at the mannequin'
'The mannequin smiles happily at you' (reflects your emote on it back to you)
'The room echoes: 'Player smiles happily at the mannequin'

As for emotes in quests... I doubt that's something any wizard would want to spend time on, reviewing all quests and adding functionalities to it. The aforementioned example would suffice.

I can provide short and long descriptions, along with more detailed ideas on implementation if any wizard wants to pick this up.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jun 2019 12:37

Azuri wrote:I also would like to propose a segment or if possible second tutorial on using emotions to characters to get new players use to using emotions and adverbs.

Like the quest could be getting read to go to s festival from being an outfit to dancing and talking to others.

I think this will encourage more roleplay within the game as well, as fresh players like me will learn the commands of emotions and adverb use, a bit better.
Fun idea! We always focus a lot on learning the technical stuff, but something like that would be pretty cool I think.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/