Size matters

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Re: Size matters

Post by Amberlee » 03 Mar 2016 17:33

trick wrote:
Ydred wrote:
Not neccessarily. As I said in the OP, 2000ies was a time of large content influx, which happened together with population decline.
The population decline had nothing to do with that.
I am sorry, you seem to miss the point.

No in fact, you seem to miss the point.
People who are not interesting in running into people limit their interaction.
This has nothing about size or content, simply the general populace attitude.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 03 Mar 2016 19:30

Ydred wrote:
Not neccessarily. As I said in the OP, 2000ies was a time of large content influx, which happened together with population decline.

The population decline had nothing to do with that.

M59 released in 96 and I played that for a time while playing genesis.

Then I think Everquest in (1999?) released and drew many gamers and MuDs declined.

Asherons Call not long after.

Gamers moved on to the next new thing and many still do those. I came back for abit in 03' but WoW would be more my enjoyment.

And then there are the gamers who married a spouse who dont understand gaming and just quit for RL.

I think growing into our 30s and MMORPGs (it was more complex than land mass within genesis) killed Genesis.
There were a number of design decisions that killed the game in concert with this.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 03 Mar 2016 20:48

trick wrote:
Amberlee wrote:The donut doesnt need LESS options.
It needs MORE options.
Progression not regression.

Instead of closing things down, things need to be fixed instead.
Like that useless blight called Khalakhor.
Fantastic theme pissed away by no content.
To close down things would only result in more people going away.
Bring something new and wonderful and people will get curious and come back again.
Closing down things that nobody uses wouldn't result in anyone going away, as nobody who knows about them would care. And at the same time somebody who is exploring the donut wouldn't be wasting his time on some godforsaken piece of no content where he wouldn't even meet others.
You contradict yourself here. Why close down things that nobody uses if it has no result?

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 03 Mar 2016 23:04

Chanele wrote: Closing down things that nobody uses wouldn't result in anyone going away, as nobody who knows about them would care. And at the same time somebody who is exploring the donut wouldn't be wasting his time on some godforsaken piece of no content where he wouldn't even meet others.
You contradict yourself here. Why close down things that nobody uses if it has no result?[/quote]
I kinda thought the second sentence explained it?

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 04 Mar 2016 00:06

trick wrote:
Chanele wrote:
trick wrote: Closing down things that nobody uses wouldn't result in anyone going away, as nobody who knows about them would care. And at the same time somebody who is exploring the donut wouldn't be wasting his time on some godforsaken piece of no content where he wouldn't even meet others.
You contradict yourself here. Why close down things that nobody uses if it has no result?
I kinda thought the second sentence explained it?
No, it doesn't. "Shutting down" things requires work and can potentially cause issues. If it accomplishes nothing then the CBA says don't do it.

Honestly I'd rather leave the barren areas in place because they serve exactly the purpose of being barren places. People can go there if they want a place without much going on, either to get away or else to make something 'unscripted' go on. It also means that there are wide open areas where new ideas can be experimented with outside of the beaten path.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/