Guild Tax

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kilrayne
Apprentice

Guild Tax

Post by Kilrayne » 05 Mar 2016 00:43

Some time ago it used to be possible to see one's guilds and taxes in certain adventurer's guilds. I noted the other day that you can still list your guilds, but that taxes have been removed. Can this functionality be restored? If not, what's the compelling factor from doing so?

Thanks,
Kil's player

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Guild Tax

Post by gorboth » 05 Mar 2016 02:16

This has been gone for around ten years (or longer?) It was concluded by the Admin that the concept of visible "guild tax" with numbers and percentages does not fit with our system of immersive descriptions and words. It is too abstract and does not feel like the rest of the game to have that information presented in numerical form. I suppose it would be possible to create an equivalent system that used descriptive words, but that has not been attempted.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kilrayne
Apprentice

Post by Kilrayne » 07 Mar 2016 19:41

Thanks for the response.

On the subject of hard numbers, understand the stated concern and particularly how numbers play out in Genesis as a whole. That said, tax as a hard number has been a part of life for millennia, and so I would argue that provided this information in a hard way doesn't necessarily detract from the mood of the world.

Thoughts?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 07 Mar 2016 22:47

Sure, tax in terms of "pay the government" is part of life as we know it. But that doesn't translate at all toward the way tax works in Genesis. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 08 Mar 2016 00:18

Kilrayne, I am agree. You can say gen is not numbers so remove that a guild is #% tax is right, but you can't do that until you replace it with a scale:
This guid have average tax, this have high, this have way high don't join! etc.

I say restore % until replace is in place.

Gorboth, what does your last note mean? I am always right?
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 Mar 2016 00:25

Not sure what you're asking, Sykil. We have not shown guild tax in numbers for a decade or so. We stopped doing it because it didn't feel like Genesis norms to show numbers like that. Is there something about this that is unclear? There may be additional reasons for why the change was made, but I do not think I was on the Admin at the time of the change, so I do not recall.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 08 Mar 2016 00:31

I know when it happen and I remember all the guild tax before it happen. New players dont kno or understand.

And tax does work exactly like in government life. If you guild charge 20% and your layman is 7% and your race is 1%, you only gain 72% of what you get from combat and general to your stats. That is pretty simple and all old players know this range and how it work and no new players do. They don't even get a description scale to say it.

So yes I say restore it and I know what I said.

Genesis Start Guide

Titan

Post by Avatar » 08 Mar 2016 00:40

Sykil wrote:I know when it happen and I remember all the guild tax before it happen. New players dont kno or understand.

And tax does work exactly like in government life. If you guild charge 20% and your layman is 7% and your race is 1%, you only gain 72% of what you get from combat and general to your stats. That is pretty simple and all old players know this range and how it work and no new players do. They don't even get a description scale to say it.

So yes I say restore it and I know what I said.
I disagree. There can be such a thing as to much information.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 08 Mar 2016 01:36

Yep. It isn't coming back.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 08 Mar 2016 01:43

this is a sweeping statement "too much information." Yes, too much of anything is defined as not good.

If too little information is the same, what is zero information? That's what everyone but old players has now.

Genesis Start Guide

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/