Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Kitriana » 07 Mar 2016 20:18

Cherek --

isn't idling to gather equipment illegal?
isn't idling with good equipment illegal? (which one would have on them should they win the auction).

So I would think anyone who is camping at the Auction Tent would be breaking the rules.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 07 Mar 2016 20:22

Cherek wrote:Mayobe: I am not sure you understand how it works? I think you're talking about a different type of auction system than the one we use. The auction house "buy now" lets someone buy something immediately when it is listed so there is no auction and no chance for anyone to bid higher. So if the seller put it up at buy now 100p, it does not matter if you wanted to pay 101p, whoever pays exactly 100p first gets it. Meaning the person with the quickest connection, if several people have the same buy-script. Since I am physically pretty close to the Genesis server and have a high-speed connection, it gives me an advantage over most other players. If set up my script to buy all stat-enhancing imbues with a price between 0 and 500p, then I will probably get them all, and nobody else will have a chance.
Um... The system after the change would - by definition - be different from the system before the change.... 0.o

A five minute (or even one minute) close would solve both issues quite simply. If you want to buy something out you place your buyout and the timer display is replaced by "Closing Soon!". After the delay (and possibly 30 seconds of variance) the auction closes. During the delay anyone can outbid you and thereby reset the timer, so the price will shoot up to whatever the highest bidder will pay and non-scripters will have a bidding window of at least 5 minutes to drive the price up and potentially win. For sniping non-buyouts the effect would be the same. If someone bids during the last 5 minutes it just invokes the same behavior.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Mar 2016 20:37

Mayobe: Ah, I see what you mean now. You want to replace the current static buy now with another way. Yeah that's of course an option too.

Kilrayne/Kitriana: You're right. Although I bet they'll find some way around it by idling somewhere else and speedwalking there etc.. If there IS a way to script for valuable EQ someone will figure out how to do it without breaking the rules, or be tempted to break them.

I personally like the ideas that simply does not provide an advantage for good connection scripts at all.

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 07 Mar 2016 20:43

I can imagine it working like that:

New auction is on, min. 20, buyout 50. Timer starts (lets say 3 mins).
Lets imagine avg. market-price of an item is 100.

0.2 s: player 1 script bids 40
0.3 s: player 2 script bids 60 (he can then see 50 has been reached on aulist; no win as still 2:59.7 of buyout auction time left)
20 s: player 3 manually bids 80 (he can only see 50 has been reached on aulist, no info how high is winning bid atm; 2:40 left)
45 s: player 4 manually bids 110 (he can only see 50 has been reached on aulist, no info how high is winning bid atm; 2:15 left)
2:59 s: player 5 script bids 90 (he can only see 50 has been reached on aulist, no info how high is winning bid atm; 0:01 left)

After timer hits 3:00, player 4 wins an item for 110 instead of cheap 50.
So cheap script won't win before people most determined to buy an item.

Freya
Beginner

Post by Freya » 07 Mar 2016 21:21

Is it just me who find Irk and Morg bitching about buy scripts ironic, seing how they both use 'em.

I say change paddle so it does not vibrate when something new comes up for auction, then just tell the players who are using scripts(were talking 4-5 people in total)to stop using 'em, have buying time logged, then any player who uses script to buy stuff of AH gets punished.

Doesnt have to be hardcoded, just prevent it with rules, its simple :)

morgzaash
Adventurer

Post by morgzaash » 07 Mar 2016 21:38

Freya wrote:Is it just me who find Irk and Morg bitching about buy scripts ironic, seing how they both use 'em.

I say change paddle so it does not vibrate when something new comes up for auction, then just tell the players who are using scripts(were talking 4-5 people in total)to stop using 'em, have buying time logged, then any player who uses script to buy stuff of AH gets punished.

Doesnt have to be hardcoded, just prevent it with rules, its simple :)
1. We not bitching - we use and see that system may be unfair to others. And our 2cc to help it to be fair for everyone.
2. Scripts, triggers are legal ?
3. Well, how you measure script/not script ? Making alias to get coins and bid on aution is still unlegal ? Btw. I like (ed) stones.
Wasn't you one of these who sold me some gems and some trade for others ?

I would like to see imbues on AH and everyone whos interested to make offer. I could use scripts to buyout but I see thats unfair for some
who are interested in purchasing and don't have chance to buy something .
For now we have 2 kinds of sells :
- scripted buyout
- overpriced buys from players who don't have scriptes but have some money and want to imbue something

I could stop and say : don't touch system, its good. Without Morr online I am sure I'll be fine. Is that bad that I care ?

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 07 Mar 2016 21:40

I created script for AH, cuz someone else had it already and i was pissed i couldnt buy anything :P

If you bring proof to Cherek that someone is using script for AH, maybe he will do anything, MAYBE :P Wish you luck

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 07 Mar 2016 21:41

Yeah, scripting is generally allowed in Genesis.
We are mostly discussing how to avoid flaws made by scripted bids. It seems doable, without any need of baning AH scripts as whole.

Freya
Beginner

Post by Freya » 07 Mar 2016 21:54

There's nothing positive to allowing auto-buy scripts from the Auction house though, why should it be legal?

I say make it illegal and wizards can code something to prevent it, if people keep buying stuff within a few seconds, punish them, its that simple really.

Using scripts to make sure you get super items before anyone else does NOT benefit the game one bit, so make it illegal.

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 07 Mar 2016 21:56

Freya wrote:There's nothing positive to allowing auto-buy scripts from the Auction house though, why should it be legal?

I say make it illegal and wizards can code something to prevent it, if people keep buying stuff within a few seconds, punish them, its that simple really.

Using scripts to make sure you get super items before anyone else does NOT benefit the game one bit, so make it illegal.
It's not simple though. It's simple to say it, but carrying it out requires establishing and enforcing new rules, which adds to the already overloaded wiz burden.

It's also obviously wrong to say that there's nothing positive about it. If there were no positives then people wouldn't do it to begin with and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/