Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by gorboth » 09 Mar 2016 23:00

I like the idea of a captcha with a buyout bid. This takes care of the bot issue but still allows for remote access, if that is deemed best.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Val
Apprentice

Post by Val » 09 Mar 2016 23:00

cotillion wrote:I think maybe we should pool buyout bids over 2-3 minutes and draw a winner after that time.
Quoted the idea once more. So simple, so good. Looks like the best from all the ideas proposed, as already stated.

Edit: adding captcha is fine ofc, better than trying to prove if anyone is botting or not. But implementing Cottilion's idea will not give botters any advantage.
Last edited by Val on 09 Mar 2016 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 09 Mar 2016 23:05

Cherek wrote:Either way, I think IF we do not want this, is not a captcha when bidding better than rules and punishments? Saves some trouble for AoP, and saves players from getting into trouble with AoP?
Yup, this is a very good idea. Also it would help with all those bot accusations. Winning an auction by grinder would prove he/she might be script-grinding but ain't botting.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 09 Mar 2016 23:07

Yup, this is a very good idea. Also it would help with all those bot accusations. Winning an auction by grinder would prove he/she might be script-grinding but ain't botting.
Or haha if your AH bid script fires off and you dont answer the captcha, you are botting illegally.

Due to randomness of AH postings this might make some remove their AH scripts haha.

Got to go ****, AH BING! CAPTCHA answer is? .... 10min **** later .... return to screen .... why am I in Gs office? UGH!
Last edited by Ydred on 09 Mar 2016 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 09 Mar 2016 23:08

Val wrote:
cotillion wrote:I think maybe we should pool buyout bids over 2-3 minutes and draw a winner after that time.
Quoted the idea once more. So simple, so good. Looks like the best from all the ideas proposed, as already stated.

It gives active players a chance to win an auction but it does not prevent people botting on scripts, they still have a shot at winning. It is the best idea so far but is it possible to tweak it to prevent unattentive players to bid?

EDIT: Captcha...what on earth is that?

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 09 Mar 2016 23:14

Cherek, AoP, yes it is in a rules. Unattended play is illegal. If you look, I bet you find already happen now.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 09 Mar 2016 23:15

A captcha is like this

=======================================================
NUMBER CHALLENGE
=======================================================

The Genesis Administration welcomes players to enjoy
the game. Using scripts to make life easier is a part
of modern gaming, but we don't want unattended bots
to roam the lands. To show that you are an attentive
player, please look at the number below and <answer>
the question. You can <redisplay> to show the number
again.

_ _ _ _ _ _
| |_||_| | | _| |_| |_||_||_
_ | | | | _| | |_| | _|

which would look better in game client and answer is 199139845
it is just the formating here doesnt allow for the number to show
if you ask an admin they can send you one in game so you can see it is very easy to read

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 09 Mar 2016 23:18

Sykil wrote:Cherek, AoP, yes it is in a rules. Unattended play is illegal. If you look, I bet you find already happen now.

And if they are using script to bid and are botting, as I said up abit .... the captcha will force them to give an answer at a random time (due to none knowing when next AH posting comes) and could show them to be afk while they are grinding.

This alone a bot check built into all AH bids to me makes Cots method very elegant. Though I was for the run to AH to bid method. This new insight seems very interesting too.
Last edited by Ydred on 09 Mar 2016 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Val
Apprentice

Post by Val » 09 Mar 2016 23:18

Btw. I believe AH botting is against the rules already:

Quote from help botting:
" Automation designed for UNATTENDED control of the character is unwelcome in Genesis..."

So if someone stays logged on UNATTENDED but still controlls his char to bid - it is breaking the rules, even if not specified as combat botting, herb botting, etc. So we already have punishments for that - no need to implement new one. Anyway, the problem for AoP is to check it, prove it, hunt it = put work in it. It is much better to code soultions preventing it (as Cherek has already stated).

Anyway, Cot's soulution removes advantage from botters. Both botters and active players have a chance to bid what they like.

Sykil
Adept

Post by Sykil » 09 Mar 2016 23:24

Maybe. I bet our scripter is to make one to bypass captcha easily.

Why waste code when one line adjustment to existing is done? In tent, done.
Somebody send this to me when I start:

Genesis Start Guide

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/