Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Jar
Apprentice

Re: Stopping script-buying on the Auction House

Post by Jar » 09 Mar 2016 17:21

Kirsach, your idea is very good, same for Kilrayne's and a few more.
They simply give everyone a chance to participate and make prices more market-based.

In opposite, 'first one at tent wins' rule doesn't fulfill any of the above two goals. They suppose we shall be running back and forth only to get more and more annoyed.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 Mar 2016 17:33

kirsach wrote:Gorboth,

One question. Why do you vote so much for the option of biding personally in AH "buy now" prices? What is your goal with promoting such option? Why your proposal is better than mine?
Hey, that's three questions!!

Q1: I like that option best?

Q2: It seems like it might result in the best dynamics overall, both for the game, and for individual players. It would create more socialization in Sparkle, and it would remove the problem of instascript buyouts robbing other players who are interested in a decent chance of getting an item that comes up for bid.

Q3: Uh ... who said it is? I didn't!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 09 Mar 2016 17:53

gorboth wrote:it would remove the problem of instascript buyouts robbing other players who are interested in a decent chance of getting an item that comes up for bid
No, it would not. Scripted char will still come to tent from common/church/orcs/... much faster then others.
Other ideas presented here were fulfilling this goal much better.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 Mar 2016 18:00

I guess? But would that really happen? The players who are doing it right now are doing it remotely while they grind. Are you saying they would give up grinding to sit for hours at a time scripting in the AH?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

kirsach
Wanderer

Post by kirsach » 09 Mar 2016 18:03

gorboth wrote: (...)
Q2: It seems like it might result in the best dynamics overall, both for the game, and for individual players. It would create more socialization in Sparkle, and it would remove the problem of instascript buyouts robbing other players who are interested in a decent chance of getting an item that comes up for bid.
(...)
Gorboth,
I think you have forgotten to add a smile emoticon that will show us you are joking, haven't you?

My proposal for sure solve much, much better the issue of instantscript buyouts, than this proposal. If this solution will be implemented there will be a change in the scripts of some person from
Check auction -> get cash from purse -> bid

to Check auction -> get cash from purse -> move from church to AH tent (since you plan to forbid idling in AH tent) -> pay

Am I wrong? And my proposal gives equal chance to anyone who is in any place of Genesis.

And argument of socialization in Sparkle ?? I dont know what to say. Who will socialize with whoom? Maybe buyers will just try to take sellers before they will enter AH and buy directly. Is it your goal to create black market? You sound a bit Piratish :D

kirsach
Wanderer

Post by kirsach » 09 Mar 2016 18:07

gorboth wrote:I guess? But would that really happen? The players who are doing it right now are doing it remotely while they grind. Are you saying they would give up grinding to sit for hours at a time scripting in the AH?

G.
Sorry for two note in the row. But Gorboth can you read my proposal from previous page once again? In my proposal scripters will dont have any advantage agains "normal" players. If normal player will decide to give 2 times higher price than scrip he will win. And it is fair, right?

Jar
Apprentice

Post by Jar » 09 Mar 2016 18:22

gorboth wrote:I guess? But would that really happen? The players who are doing it right now are doing it remotely while they grind. Are you saying they would give up grinding to sit for hours at a time scripting in the AH?
Of course not. But I had impression everyone shall have "decent chance of getting an item that comes up for bid", not just a few people occupying Sparkle.

A few other possible negative scenarios are:
1. Players grinding orcs regularly add some AH-script now, then they insta go and buy bargains, instead of grinders you meant.
2. People get caused to double-login to have chars doing 1. Why to cause them even? Only to hunt down then? Just don't cause - simple and overally better.
3. People do idle here and there (church, common, Fearie etc.) to do 1. Again, why to even cause them to do it?
4. People play a real broker role, buying every bargain only to sell it later for much higher price.

Seriously, almost every other ideas posted above would work better then this one.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Mar 2016 18:42

I still think Cotillion's suggestion is the best one of all. Everything basically stays the same as now, except if more than one person bids the max bid within say 5 min of the auction is added, a random winner is drawn, and the "losers" get their money back.

Pros:

- There will be no need to even consider people idling in the AH, and all potential problems and punishments that may come from that. And we do not need to bother about checking players who try to break any new rules about this we might implement.

- Bidding is still convenient as you do not have to run to Sparkle each time something interesting is put up.

- Everyone gets a chance, scripts or connection speed does not matter. It's still convenient to use scripts, which it should be, but it gives no real advantage in bidding either. Nor does connection speed.

- Sellers keep the option to have an open-ended auction or a buy now auction, depending on which strategy they want to attempt when selling.

- Removing the buy now function would mean in order to buy something you'd always have to match a certain time, regardless of how inconvenient that is for you iRL, with this solution buy now does not have to be removed, while still being fair for everyone.

Cons:

?

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 09 Mar 2016 18:57

still think Cotillion's suggestion is the best one of all. Everything basically stays the same as now, except if more than one person bids the max bid within say 5 min of the auction is added, a random winner is drawn, and the "losers" get their money back.
So once five scripts are written, then the scripts always win? Not sure I follow how this changes anything from the first one to bid wins since it was a script too which caused this issue?
Or is this under the guise of all AH bid scripts are illegal now? I might have missed that

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Mar 2016 19:01

Ydred wrote:
still think Cotillion's suggestion is the best one of all. Everything basically stays the same as now, except if more than one person bids the max bid within say 5 min of the auction is added, a random winner is drawn, and the "losers" get their money back.
So once five scripts are written, then the scripts always win? Not sure I follow how this changes anything from the first one to bid wins since it was a script too which caused this issue?
I think the first issue was that scripts with faster connections beat scripts with slower connection, but also that scripts beat anyone not using scripts?

People not using scripts will have 5 min to make their bids too, and have the same chance to win as the scripters. People not awake when the auction is added obviously will lose out. But you're worried of people idling 24/7 to buy everything they want on scripts? Or? Then no, this won't "solve" that. If that is a problem? Is it?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/