weekly quests and quest xp

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mayobe
Adept

Re: weekly quests and quest xp

Post by Mayobe » 21 Mar 2016 03:33

Going through it at the moment, my brute level does seem sort of like my "now I have to stop having fun and go fight with syntax for a week" level.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 21 Mar 2016 03:43

Mayobe wrote:Going through it at the moment, my brute level does seem sort of like my "now I have to stop having fun and go fight with syntax for a week" level.
That's the best way to put it. It's not fun when the game forces you to quest to grow.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Mar 2016 06:22

Ody wrote:
Mayobe wrote:Going through it at the moment, my brute level does seem sort of like my "now I have to stop having fun and go fight with syntax for a week" level.
That's the best way to put it. It's not fun when the game forces you to quest to grow.

Ayupp

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 21 Mar 2016 06:26

On the other hand, the epic quests were fun, but the normal ones are sort of meh and the brute reduction is agonizingly slow.

AND WHY CAN'T I FIND THE BLACK HORSE!?

-------
And then I found him like 2 minutes later.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 21 Mar 2016 10:38

you dont have to fight the syntax since quest solutions are published

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 21 Mar 2016 11:48

(I still have to fight the syntax.)

Incidentally I just spent four hours questing and my brute went from brutal to somewhat brutal.

That's the part that chafes the most.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Mar 2016 17:08

Kvator wrote:you dont have to fight the syntax since quest solutions are published

They are far from 100% :P

varian
Wizard

Post by varian » 21 Mar 2016 17:18

A lot of these comments revolve around where I would have one of my concerns.

I think what everyone is saying is that they just want to get free quest xp to maximize the grinding... which is not really a solution at all in my eyes. If the game gets to that point, I would just suggest that the quest element of xp is removed entirely.

After all.... what would be the point of having it?

Anyways... this is nothing more than a personal take on things. I think that there might be some people out there who enjoy solving puzzles and interacting with the game world (rather than pwning every mob they can see). I always saw quests as a way to balance those types of players against the hardcore hack and slashers. It allowed both types of players to be relatively equal, as one would tend to get a lot more instances of combat xp for lower values, while the other would get fewer instances at higher values. Meaning the game didnt just become dominated by one style of player alone.

Of course, these days, there are people who can grind through the solutions to every quest out there and then start grinding on npcs for maximum value and benefit. So, I guess any model can be broken. But, that concept always appealed to me in its nature.

That Genesis could be a place where all sorts of players could succeed and be an important part of the community.

As such, I still maintain that removing the quest portion of the game detracts from our ability as a game in the long-term. Just a personal, private opinion. I don't think that I would ever enjoy seeing it go unless we had some other game mechanic to replace it.... one which offered more options for different types of players. Not just the hack 'n slash grinder.

For the record... again.... this is a personal viewpoint... these comments do NOT reflect the views of the wizarding community in whole or part. Just me.

Varian

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 21 Mar 2016 17:32

Meh, we could just make it into one XP pool and be done with it : ]

Make quests repetable and/or add/change them now and then so people dont script them

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 21 Mar 2016 17:45

Draugor wrote:Meh, we could just make it into one XP pool and be done with it : ]
One big pool.. Or..
Independent accumulation for all sorts of experience points..
One for quests, one for general combat, one for herbing, one for sneaking around/hiding, one for stealing, one for each type of weapon, so on and so forth..

Could use these to dictate how far skills can be upgraded.. Eg; fight with a sword a lot if you want to level your Sword skill up.

Meh. Too complex.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/