weekly quests and quest xp

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gold bezie
Expert

weekly quests and quest xp

Post by gold bezie » 19 Mar 2016 01:08

Hi, maybe its a stupid idea, but i was thinking why not raise the quest xp one gets for doing the weekly quests from kiosk and chefs station?
I mean i understand a lot of high players have done almost all the quests they are able too and have a problem with their brutality. So isnt this a better idea than making new quests since the wizards have to do it all in their spare time?
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Draugor
Myth

Re: weekly quests and quest xp

Post by Draugor » 19 Mar 2016 09:21

gold bezie wrote:Hi, maybe its a stupid idea, but i was thinking why not raise the quest xp one gets for doing the weekly quests from kiosk and chefs station?
I mean i understand a lot of high players have done almost all the quests they are able too and have a problem with their brutality. So isnt this a better idea than making new quests since the wizards have to do it all in their spare time?

Yupp, make these quests alot more worth doing so people dont have to do all the annoying quests, might want to update the herblists etc over items to obtain tho, some herbs seems to be nowhere in the game to be found, mainly the Faerun ones tho

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 19 Mar 2016 11:37

I don't think we'll do that, sorry.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 19 Mar 2016 18:35

I dont mind doing quests, but lets face it everyone hunts more than they can do quests. For me the biggest problem is i can never focus on the game for long since i have a tot running around, so quests are harder than grinding or herbing. And the wizards already made clear that they dont have enough of them around to make more interesting quests for the people who have done all the quests they can.

Any reason why not Gorboth? Seems to me as the easiest way to solve the problem.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

trick
Apprentice

Post by trick » 19 Mar 2016 20:30

Can't speak for the wizards, but wasn't it to do with some sort of soft/hard cap on player size that is intended to be in place?

On the technical side, having a game where players are allowed to grow and grow endlessly, usually requires churning out new content regularly, and by inference making old content obsolete (I mean, whoever does fight Onyxia in WoW anymore, except maybe for fun?).

Not even asking whether such WoW-type mechanic is desireable in general, for a volunteer uncommercial game like Genesis, it would hardly be possible.

varian
Wizard

Post by varian » 19 Mar 2016 22:32

I will not presume to speak for Gorboth or the rest of the Genesis wizarding community, but I can quickly offer a few thoughts from my perspective why this idea is impractical.

First, it removes a certain flavour from the game. By adding this in, there is no reason for people to go out and do the existing quests.

Secondly, it creates an imbalance. The balancing of brute has always been a tricky thing, and offering a method to quickly pump everyone up to max quest xp would likely create an imbalance to the game mechanics as a whole.

Thirdly, it will generate more than its fair share of complaints no matter how it is done. If we do not give enough quest xp fast enough, people will complain that we are not listening to them and solving the 'problem' (by which, it means we would have recognized there being a problem by virtue of trying to 'fix' it). If we give enough to satisfy that group of people, others will complain that they had to work hard, risk deaths etc.... for their quest xp, and now we are just giving it away for free.

In a final note (and this is my PERSONAL opinion, this does NOT reflect the opinions of the Genesis wizarding community in part or in whole) - I am of the belief that if we were going to consider this, I would rather vote to remove quest xp entirely. To me, a solution like this (and I'm not yet convinced that there is a problem to solve) feels like a button people can press to get free xp so they can quickly max up the quest xp quota. So.... why have the quota or the quest xp?

To answer the concerns that just came to several people... Yes: I know that Goldbezie was not trying to ask for an "I win" button. Yes: I know that this is an attempt to address what many mortals see as a problem.

If there is a problem, I see that problem in being that we do not have enough options like quests for players to participate in. I think that in the long-term end game of a scenario like this, we would just make our game more about scripting and botting, losing the game element. I would (personally) have some really strong concerns about adding something like this into the game.

Varian, Steward of Gondor.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 19 Mar 2016 22:35

Everything generates complaints, quests just annoy more tho :P If it was possible to reach the cap within a reasonable time period without doing the multitude of annoying, usually big-ridden and horribly syntaxed quests, it would be better :P Oh, add illogical :P And "Report it and we will fix it" wont work since if I actually gather the energy to grind my arse to the end, only to find the quest broken AF without anyone that can just fix the damn thing, I wont be doing that horrible crap again :P

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 19 Mar 2016 22:54

How about no maximum to quest experience and the experience reward for weekly quests goes up based upon how many total quests are completed.

For example:
100 possible quests
1 completed; weekly gives 10 exp
10 completed; weekly gives 100 exp
100 completed; weekly gives 1000 exp

Of course it's just an example to show the concept.. The actual numbers and scaling would be much different..

Incentive to do the main quests and makes the weekly ones far more worth doing for larger players. Excellent compromise in my book.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 19 Mar 2016 23:24

Secondly, it creates an imbalance. The balancing of brute has always been a tricky thing, and offering a method to quickly pump everyone up to max quest xp would likely create an imbalance to the game mechanics as a whole.
Really depends on how you implement it.

What if you had a requirement of X days played and minimum of 1year RL time and X number of quests to get max quest.

1)So you create a player on Jan 1st 2016. On Jan 1st, 2017 you meet one requirement.

2)Next requirement how many days played? 200 is a pretty solid amount. There are some that could log in and idle, but being 200 days needed they would only get one requriement every 1/2 year.

3)Third is pick a number of quests needed to be done.
Currently if you do about 1/2 a year of the weeklies and 300 quests (assuming the big ones for sure are done), you are not far behind Mim. So perhaps 250 quests and 50 weekly quests (approx 26X2).

When you meet the above 3 criteria, you get max quest xps.

The people who know how to quest could still get this done alot faster. But for those that cant they would still not 'fail' to get there either.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 20 Mar 2016 23:17

I would never play Genesis again if I had to redo all the quests. Unfortunately the way Genesis is set up now questing is vital to your character. The syntax and logic, time and other factors are just not worth the hassel.

Couldn't you scale the amount of exp of these weekly quests based on your size and whatever amount of quest exp you already possess?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/