Move cadets and academy to Sparkle

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ody
Hero

Re: Move cadets and academy to Sparkle

Post by Ody » 29 Sep 2016 18:56

Cherek wrote:
Ody wrote:On the magic map in Galen south of the Academy and Cadets is a space labeled "Portal to Sparkle" perhaps this portal idea has already been done before? Or was in the works?
Interesting. Don't know anything about that. If/when Petros returns I'm gonna try to remember to ask him, I would imagine he knows.
You can only see it on the magic map box in the web cliant. It doesn't show if you <exa map> (In case you wish to see for yourself)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Sep 2016 20:06

Ody wrote:
Cherek wrote:
Ody wrote:On the magic map in Galen south of the Academy and Cadets is a space labeled "Portal to Sparkle" perhaps this portal idea has already been done before? Or was in the works?
Interesting. Don't know anything about that. If/when Petros returns I'm gonna try to remember to ask him, I would imagine he knows.
You can only see it on the magic map box in the web cliant. It doesn't show if you <exa map> (In case you wish to see for yourself)
I trust you! It's probably like you said, probably something that was planned but never happened

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Oct 2016 20:39

Cherek wrote:
I think that was my doing. I created that map, and the Carlsan quests (including the ones for finding the Cadets and Academics.) I probably intended to put a portal in place, but then decided against it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Emmiline Calaith
Adventurer

Post by Emmiline Calaith » 01 Nov 2016 16:33

gorboth wrote:
Cherek wrote:
I think that was my doing. I created that map, and the Carlsan quests (including the ones for finding the Cadets and Academics.) I probably intended to put a portal in place, but then decided against it.

G.
Would there be any chance it COULD be added? Or is there a reason that I and others are not aware of that would make that a bad idea? (Asking purely out of curiosity even though I do think it would be helpful for newbies).
There are three types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 01 Nov 2016 16:40

Yeah. It wouldn't be the only one way newbie portal. The church in Hobbiton and north of Faerie for example. A one way portal in the very newbie centric area of Galen is an excellent idea.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 02 Nov 2016 00:19

Wouldn't an NPC giving directions be better? Perhaps one in the Cadets as well to give directions back to places?

A portal doesn't teach a new player much of anything, and if you can't get from Sparkle to Gelan you are really going to struggle as you try to progress at anything else.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Nov 2016 00:23

What Mers said. The reason I think I scrapped the idea is that the Carlsan quests are meant to teach you something. The quest to find the Cadets/Academics does two bits of that - how to use boats to travel, and the location of a useful starting guild.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 02 Nov 2016 01:23

That's why I said a one way portal. You have to get to Galen to use it in the first place. Once you've gotten there you've already learned how (presumably) and you're not going to miss out on any "teaching moments."

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 02 Nov 2016 03:38

Ody wrote:That's why I said a one way portal. You have to get to Galen to use it in the first place. Once you've gotten there you've already learned how (presumably) and you're not going to miss out on any "teaching moments."
Getting back is making sure you got it right :)

Learning by repetition. And later on you're going to tread on this road many, many times so you might just as well get used to it while young.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Nov 2016 05:11

Yup.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/