Opensourcing engine, volunteer based coding

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Re: Opensourcing engine, volunteer based coding

Post by petros » 05 Oct 2017 15:11

The GitHub is maintained by our very own Cotillion, who maintains the game driver. It's everything you need to get up to speed on developing outside of Genesis. You won't have access to specific domain code, but you can definitely create your very own and test your own LPC coding skills.

Toferth
Wanderer

Post by Toferth » 05 Oct 2017 18:31

@petros
I know that, but I don't want to make genesis2 ;)

I'm just annoyed (sometimes) by bugs or lacking things.

Actually I have at least one idea that could be implemented in driver or very low in mudlib, question is - will you ever accept code from non-wiz (to review it and obviously, integrate/retest yourself).

What I was thinking of:
2fa (TOTP) for oldschools (using telnet) like me as an option. Unless there is some way to securely connect to the mud (I tried writing websocket-telnet bridge, but it was not 100% reliable).

Question is - would you (wiz) accept line of code from non-wiz (assuming you want feature that line implements).

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 05 Oct 2017 19:15

No reason that we wouldn't. Best way to interact with wizards to do that is if you wiz yourself ;)

If you're dealing with the driver, just submit a pull request in Git.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 05 Oct 2017 19:31

petros wrote:Best way to interact with wizards to do that is if you wiz yourself ;)
Wearing the hat means that you don't get to play the game though (or at least sacrificing one character), plus probably not choosing what you work on since what you are interested in just might not be up for tinkering. Also, it means responsibility that many may not be able to sign up for. At least it's presented as such, or I am confused.

I see the point of Toferth. For example, I would certainly abolish sleeping to delve into Rangers' code and try to figure what's the issue and how it could be untangled, yet I wouldn't go Gandalf to work on much else than that right now (especially if I am not as well accustomed to as the aforementioned).

This whole thing will make me absent-minded for the rest of the day. See you in some hours! :)

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 05 Oct 2017 22:39

Drazson wrote:
petros wrote:Best way to interact with wizards to do that is if you wiz yourself ;)
Wearing the hat means that you don't get to play the game though (or at least sacrificing one character), plus probably not choosing what you work on since what you are interested in just might not be up for tinkering. Also, it means responsibility that many may not be able to sign up for. At least it's presented as such, or I am confused.

I see the point of Toferth. For example, I would certainly abolish sleeping to delve into Rangers' code and try to figure what's the issue and how it could be untangled, yet I wouldn't go Gandalf to work on much else than that right now (especially if I am not as well accustomed to as the aforementioned).

This whole thing will make me absent-minded for the rest of the day. See you in some hours! :)
Why can't you play the game or need to sacrifice a character? The rules have changed since 20 years ago, the key to it is: balance. If you're going to grind for 5 days a week, 6+ hours a day and then code for one or two days maybe an hour or two... Then chances are you're probably not really wanting to code things in the first place.

You can create a brand new character for your wiz now and several wizards over the years have also had mortals and continued to play them. But choosing to be a wizard and code should take priority over playing.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 05 Oct 2017 22:52

Greneth wrote:But choosing to be a wizard and code should take priority over playing.
That's needlessly restricting, no? Somebody who is interested for all this is going to look at digitalized letters and maybe provide some fix / alteration / creation to be considered and possibly integrated to the game. That's it. He/she won't go at Gorboth's house for free food and beer or borrow Cotillion's car, he/she is going to look at code and possibly write some additions/whatever on his/her pc to help the community. If it's security issue, let's talk security solutions. If it's not that, I'm not sure what we are talking about.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 06 Oct 2017 03:37

Drazson wrote:
Greneth wrote:But choosing to be a wizard and code should take priority over playing.
That's needlessly restricting, no? Somebody who is interested for all this is going to look at digitalized letters and maybe provide some fix / alteration / creation to be considered and possibly integrated to the game. That's it. He/she won't go at Gorboth's house for free food and beer or borrow Cotillion's car, he/she is going to look at code and possibly write some additions/whatever on his/her pc to help the community. If it's security issue, let's talk security solutions. If it's not that, I'm not sure what we are talking about.
Not sure how that is restricting if you want to code then go code. If you're going to play a mortal 24/7 then why do you need a wizard? I already said people can do both but balance it properly, no need to blow it out of proportion.

Toferth
Wanderer

Post by Toferth » 06 Oct 2017 07:34

What I was looking for is "casual relationship" not full blown marriage :)

That means - I see bug or something missing that really annoys me/others (and can be done outside of "restricted/domain code") I stop playing for few days, fix it, send for integration to some wizard, and then resume playing.

That was whole point of my questions.

If gamedriver is public (and it is), perhaps it should include "issues" or "want to have" list at github, that would make our life even better.

It seems there are only 2 people interested in that, so I guess anything other than modifying gamedriver makes no sense.

mallor
Rising Hero

Post by mallor » 06 Oct 2017 13:06

Drazson wrote:

Entire game is "digitalized letters", so I don't get your point here.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 06 Oct 2017 16:37

mallor wrote:Entire game is "digitalized letters", so I don't get your point here.
It's not wheat you are sharing, or your apple pie. It's code that works for all of us (and is not consumable, you are not taking it from someone). Heck, you wont even use it for yourself. You are trying to fix/make it better for everyone. Maybe you will fail, no harm done. Maybe you succeed and it's a good thing for everyone. Having to "pay" for the chance to do it, in the form of some kind of self restriction on how much you play or what you work on sounds... something between counter-intuitive and disheartening (neither stands exactly but I can't find a word to suit me, sorry for that)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/