rainstorms

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
sylphan
Veteran

rainstorms

Post by sylphan » 19 Apr 2019 23:56

It would be cool to experience rain. There are the passing showers west of Sparkle. Are there other places? I want to wander through a wilderness while the rain falls.

Mim
Rising Hero

Re: rainstorms

Post by Mim » 20 Apr 2019 08:11

sylphan wrote:I want to wander through a wilderness while the rain falls.
... and where your weapons rust? :)

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 20 Apr 2019 23:06

The realms are, and should be, about more than just combat. You don't like to roam around and enjoy the environment? Good for you I guess.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 21 Apr 2019 00:05

it's only natural for a dwarf to be concerned about weapons and rust!

sometimes there are storms over Estwilde..

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 21 Apr 2019 02:04

sylphan wrote:The realms are, and should be, about more than just combat. You don't like to roam around and enjoy the environment? Good for you I guess.
There used to be a puddle south of the Huge Sign west of Bree.
I think people slipped in it and at some point I even think weapons could rust.
(Not absolutely sure about that)
That puddle was so hated some wizard had mercy and removed it.

A LOT funnier was the Shire thief who grabbed small players and demanded them to give the thief all their money.
It was impossible for the newbie to escape him without a fight or dropping all money worn.
One could ofc call for help also. The thief was not that big.

Fairlight
Apprentice

Post by Fairlight » 21 Apr 2019 11:37

Mim, nothing in the Shire is big. They are all hobbits!!! Thought you'd know by now :D

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 22 Apr 2019 05:42

All that said. And even if my armours rusted and needed to be cleaned or repaired. Still like to see a rainstorm now and again.

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 23 Apr 2019 09:46

sylphan wrote:All that said. And even if my armours rusted and needed to be cleaned or repaired. Still like to see a rainstorm now and again.
I'd second this idea. More environmental immersion would be fantastic.

If we can fit a whole castle's armory into a backpack, and climb up mountains with it on our backs, we can experience some rain without having our armour rust.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 24 Apr 2019 07:21

On the Polish MUD Arkadia they introduced calendar seasons that actually have an effect on players. And so in winter heavy snowfalls can almost block a road and you become tired very quickly trying to trudge through, it also slows down your movement. A perfect spot to setup an ambush :twisted: This ofcourse makes the game harder, as you cannot run on paths when it's winter and there are a lot more pkills.

We already have something similar, eg. the passage between Palanthas and Spur can be blocked in winter, but that's about it.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 24 Apr 2019 12:36

I can't tell what current priorities are but such changes could make the game much more immersive. Calendars are weird in the donut though and areas have peculiarities. Light/Dark/Survival(could include sleep!!)/Weather/Crafting/Wounds could be mechanics that make the game double the experience :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/