Change of herb limits?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Darken Rahl
Apprentice

Change of herb limits?

Post by Darken Rahl » 18 Sep 2019 08:33

Greetings all.

I don't know if this version have been up for discussion regarding herbs.

I've been thinking a lot of how we can change the limit of consuming only 1 herb/minute. It is kinda wrong that you only can eat 1 blueberry, blackberry or any other herb per minute. I know why it was implemented, cause with enough herbs you were unbeatable, having 2000 attanar and you solo the Balrog if you have enough size etc. And some clients were used to "spam use" the herbs to gain more of it than it should give. Knowing that we need to adress this to change without breaking the balance.

My suggestion of change is:
Every herb is unique for 1 minute. Moving the limit from using herb to using x/y/z/etc herb

Eat a skunk berry, and you can eat an attanar as well, add an astaldo, add a tuo as well and <insert_whatever_other_herb_you_have_not_used>.

Each herb gets a unique timer, a lot of flags and code stuff in the character I assume.

How would you think this would affect the balance? Will it be broken ?

Arman
Wizard

Re: Change of herb limits?

Post by Arman » 18 Sep 2019 11:42

I am not against the suggestion... it would certainly make it a more complex meta.

It would take a bit of coding effort though... and right now we are a bit light on active coders with the access to that part of the code.

So an idea worth considering, but not one likely to be acted on.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 Sep 2019 11:54

Personally I was for the idea of diminishing returns.

You can eat as many herbs as you want but each next one gives you less benefit. So if you eat 4 attanars it's fine (with each attanar providing less benefit) but a 5th one and onwards will give you no benefit at all and then you enter a 1 minute cooldown before they start working again.

Cooldowns and diminishing returns would be unique per herb of course.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 18 Sep 2019 12:40

The fact that you can easily get hold of several thousand attanars is the real problem I think...
That precludes individual herbs from being very powerful

Maybe we could do something to actually have powerful rare herbs again...

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 18 Sep 2019 13:16

cotillion wrote:
18 Sep 2019 12:40
The fact that you can easily get hold of several thousand attanars is the real problem I think...

Cot's the man to make such a change :)

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 18 Sep 2019 14:47

Yes, please make more changes to lessen the experience of Genesis! Line them up! I can't wait to suck, it's the best ever!
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 18 Sep 2019 15:11

nils wrote:
18 Sep 2019 14:47
Yes, please make more changes to lessen the experience of Genesis! Line them up! I can't wait to suck, it's the best ever!
Lessen? Are you saying you think the herb cooldown is great mechanic?

Darken Rahl
Apprentice

Post by Darken Rahl » 18 Sep 2019 15:32

cotillion wrote:
18 Sep 2019 12:40

If I understand this correctly you plan to change the chance to get a hold of that many herbs, and boost the effect of some of the herbs so you can keep the 1 herb/minute, rather than change so you can eat/use 90 herbs/minute if each was unique and on their own timer?

Does it precludes the herbs at all my idea? It rather opens up for more herbs to be used rather than just the "best" ones.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 18 Sep 2019 15:44

cotillion wrote:
18 Sep 2019 15:11
nils wrote:
I think it's the devil we know, and that you and whoever has the power to make changes should play the game on a regular basis before you make another dumbfounded idea like foreversaving items a reality.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 19 Sep 2019 21:16

nils wrote:
18 Sep 2019 15:44
cotillion wrote:
18 Sep 2019 15:11
nils wrote:
I think it's the devil we know, and that you and whoever has the power to make changes should play the game on a regular basis before you make another dumbfounded idea like foreversaving items a reality.
I think there's actually a rationale for maintaining the cooldown as is, beyond just aversion to the risk of unforeseen (or perhaps foreseeable but ignored) consequences: most people who would use more than one herb per minute would do so during combat. It's perfectly reasonable to say that not more than once a minute while engaged in combat can you open a container, retrieve the herb you want, and ingest it using the proper method (while parrying, casting a spell, moving behind a teammate, etc.!).

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/