Non-combat OCC guilds

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Okotok
Wanderer

Re: Non-combat OCC guilds

Post by Okotok » 18 Jun 2020 22:24

Zhabou had a really detailed post about cool ideas for a smiths-like guild.
https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... ery#p43055

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 28 Jun 2020 21:24

I would love to see guilds that allowed you to progress in new and interesting ways, but I do think there would have to be meaningful reason to want to join those guilds. For example - being a blacksmith and progressing to the point where you're this legendary blacksmith who can craft the most powerful items in the game would be a cool way to tell a new story with your character within Genesis. As long as what you can do with those guilds provides something meaningful for those power-players who love grinding and combat, there will be demand for them as well.

I think the main issue with guilds like this would be just balancing progression against the players who chose more traditional combat guilds.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Jul 2020 22:43

Not really about a non-combat guilds but I didn't feel like starting a brand new topic for that and I think we might as well discuss it here. I was wondering how would players feel about some "cosmetic" upgrades to guilds in form of a club or something.

What I have in mind is that if a player has specific combination of guilds they could then join such "club" and it would change their appearance, titles, maybe even special hits descriptions.

We already have some of it in place (Mercs and SoHM being able to change their titles to reflect their other affiliations), but what if we could push it a bit further? I bet that RF/AA members would love to become warg-riding uruk-hai. Perhaps some more evil-inclined minotaurs would like to downscale a bit and become savage beastmen? Warlock dwarves growing demonic horns and spewing brimstone from their mouths? Pirate elves could become true Dargonesti. Evil minstrels being doctors of Cacophony etc. etc.

Personally I think this might be a cool way of increasing variety and enabling more roleplay without actually adding any more guilds. Just the "skins".
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 28 Jul 2020 01:27

What I have in mind is that if a player has specific combination of guilds they could then join such "club" and it would change their appearance, titles, maybe even special hits descriptions.
I think this is a really cool idea, and could tie back into the idea of the non-combat occupational guilds. I think it would be cool to have custom sets of armour, for example, that conferred the benefits of high end equipment. Having your own set of armour adds more customization and flavor to the character.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Mavros
Wizard

Post by Mavros » 28 Jul 2020 01:43

Zhar wrote:
26 Jul 2020 22:43
Not really about a non-combat guilds but I didn't feel like starting a brand new topic for that and I think we might as well discuss it here. I was wondering how would players feel about some "cosmetic" upgrades to guilds in form of a club or something.

We already have some of it in place (Mercs and SoHM being able to change their titles to reflect their other affiliations), but what if we could push it a bit further? I bet that RF/AA members would love to become warg-riding uruk-hai. Perhaps some more evil-inclined minotaurs would like to downscale a bit and become savage beastmen? Warlock dwarves growing demonic horns and spewing brimstone from their mouths? Pirate elves could become true Dargonesti. Evil minstrels being doctors of Cacophony etc. etc.

Personally I think this might be a cool way of increasing variety and enabling more roleplay without actually adding any more guilds. Just the "skins".
Flexibility and diversity would be easier to add this way.

Celemir
Wanderer

Post by Celemir » 28 Jul 2020 08:02

Zhar wrote:
26 Jul 2020 22:43

I think this sounds like a good idea, if it does not muddle up guildhalls and training facilities mm.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 28 Jul 2020 10:45

All those sound nice embellishments. I imagine we'd need some time to digest the new stuff and, anyway, maybe pick a single case for testing and see how it goes?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 28 Jul 2020 11:46

Well, I can see if I could potentially cook something up.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/