please be more active with hunting bullies

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gold bezie
Expert

please be more active with hunting bullies

Post by gold bezie » 18 Dec 2020 02:01

Hello immortals,

i like the new nban idea, it seems to work alright.
But lets make things a littel bit better in the Donut.
It seems, very weird for me, but then again im 45 so
i know what is important in life, and bullying someone
you dont know is simply not!, that there are still people around
who like to make fun of a certain char in the donut

The fun i dont get, i dont get what is wrong or weird or strange about
being gay. I dont get either why one would spend time making
new chars with gay in the name of the people they seem to hate.
i really cant understand the idea of hate as well, but then again im
a very lucky person.

But what i do think is that those bullies should be stopped.
nban was good, but we seem to need more.

i would suggest that the immortals make it happen that this name cannot
be misused again. That the term gay is not being able to use in someones name
or the name of this person that is bullied as well, he has his char, he wont mind
if other uses of his name will be banned

also i know this is hard to make happen
if you need any help on reporting as you did with the nban, let us know.
Most people in the Donut really dont like what is going on.

be well
goldbezies puppetmaster
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Skythus
Adventurer

Re: please be more active with hunting bullies

Post by Skythus » 18 Dec 2020 02:14

Not sure how easy it would be to implement but banning the phrases "gay", "mom", "dad", and "two" during character creation seems like a solid way to prevent alt trolling. The downside being it limits creativity, if you had a character named Gaylord, D'addario, etc but the trolling has gone on and off for nearly a year. I would like to see an end to it. Alternatively we could force people to register emails to make sure they're using the <alt> function. There's no easy way to stop the abuse, sadly.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 18 Dec 2020 04:39

I wonder if it could be done by adding an extra layer basically. You register with your email and you use that to log in and then you can select one of your chars to play as. Kinda how most online games work now.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 18 Dec 2020 05:07

Zhar wrote:
18 Dec 2020 04:39
You register with your email and you use that to log in and then you can select one of your chars to play as.
I like the idea of this. Not super hard to get past but added defense and harder to forget to use alt command

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 18 Dec 2020 06:12

nban?

What is that?

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 18 Dec 2020 06:56

Newbie Helpers can ban abusers, if I remember correctly. I can't remember if it's a vote or a flat-out ban. Either way it's almost certainly logged to make sure people aren't silencing actual noobs.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 18 Dec 2020 11:10

The individual behind this campaign is not welcome in Genesis.
Unfortunately it is using VPN and proxies so permanently banning it is tricky.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Dec 2020 13:32

We know of this person of course, and we delete their charactes as soon as we can. For security reasons only admin members can delete characters, and since we're not here 24/7 this troll can unfortunately wreak havoc while we are away... And like Cotillion explained, it's hard to permanently ban a person from entering Genesis, especially if they know what they are doing.

As for the other suggestions...

We could probably implement some way to ban certain combinations of words from being used in character names, although, I have a feeling that these kind of "serious trolls" would find ways to do it anyway. There are thousands of ways you can combine words and letters in an offensive way, and also easy to get around such restrictions with alternative spellings. I think it would be very hard to create a word list that covers all options. I mean, we already have a list with banned offensive names, and people tend to get around that anyway. For example the creative player who named himself "Hltler" (l instead of i). That said, I am not opposed to giving it a shot if someone volunteers to do the work to make it happen.

As for requiring an email address when registering. Sure, that's been discussed several times. It would have many benefits, for example it would be a good way to keep track of alts and to be able to automatically recover passwords. However, this would require a quite serious recode of one of our core systems, so, it's not a small task. Because of this, it's currently not a top priority :( And... even if we did this, I don't think it would have a huge effect on trolls unless we also have a system where people have to confirm they own the email address by clicking on a confirmation email. Adding that would of course make an already big project even bigger, and it would also come with a potential downside. While adding this kind of security is good for many things, it also makes it harder for someone interested in Genesis to easily try it out, which means fewer new players, unless we also create some sort of trial or "guest" system...

For this particular troll I think hunting he/she down and deleting them as soon as possible is our best defence right now. And, you mortals can help out by notifying myself and/or Mirandus as soon as you see something suspicious. While I usually don't encourage pinging me on Discord for AoP matters, it's perfectly fine to do so in this case. Communing is okay as well, however, only commune me or Mirandus, as "commune all" isn't likely going to help, since most wizards don't have access to delete characters anyway. So, let's fight this silly troll together.

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 18 Dec 2020 14:22

As a side note, we should also remember to mention how pathetic one has to be to keep this up...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Dec 2020 17:54

Thalric wrote:
18 Dec 2020 14:22
As a side note, we should also remember to mention how pathetic one has to be to keep this up...
Yeah whoever it is is spending (wasting) a lot of time on it....

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/