Stealth guild for newbies?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Redblade
Adept

Stealth guild for newbies?

Post by Redblade » 07 Jan 2021 18:01

Hello everyone!

Skythus started a thread recently on re-working the Academy: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5227

I support the idea, and it got me thinking about something else, so not to derail, new thread.
When you're a fresh newbie, you're instructed to visit Gelan and most join one of the newbie guilds - Cadets or Academics.
The website (https://www.genesismud.org/occGuilds.php) lists three types of Occupational guilds, we could name them Fighters, Casters and Stealth guilds. So newbies are encouraged to join and try either a Fighter guild or a Caster guild.
Note that there are 5 occ Caster guilds and 4 occ Stealth guilds (and 5 caster layman compared to 3 stealth). So... perhaps there could be a newbie Stealth guild?

Where I see the impact this would have: it would potentially increase the playerbase for future Stealth occ. I think all 4 of those could use more active players (well technically I can only speak for myself, so if I am wrong, I stand corrected, don't flame me right away :) )

What could the guild do?
Train you in stealth somewhat, perhaps skills like stealing? A special that is oriented on avoiding damage perhaps? Cadets and Academics focus more on dealing it. Proficiency with knives/bows(/you name it)? Cheers for more ideas!

Sidenote: Never been a Stealth Layman. Maybe I just described how they work. But I haven't seen many Tricksters around, Thieves are debated in another active thread... the point is not to create "some stealth guild" but a one that would accurately describe Stealth guilds for newbie players.
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Drazson
Titan

Re: Stealth guild for newbies?

Post by Drazson » 07 Jan 2021 20:00

The way I see it, stealth is currently useless in the gameplay of current Genesis. Otherwise, it would be a good idea. Paired with dodging, dagger skill and a backstab skill. That's more than some occupational rogue guilds have though, so I'm not sure what can be done.

I would not consider thievery mostly because it promotes actions that make others hostile, and you want newbies to be welcomed and included in order to stick around, not promped to do things that will make them wanted.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Jan 2021 01:39

Tricksters are a good stealth guild for newbies.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 09 Jan 2021 02:23

Zhar wrote:
08 Jan 2021 01:39
Perhaps, but they are not advertised as such and I barely even met one...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 09 Jan 2021 02:29

Redblade wrote:
09 Jan 2021 02:23
Zhar wrote:
08 Jan 2021 01:39
Perhaps, but they are not advertised as such and I barely even met one...
That's because they're pretty much useless when you're bigger in the current meta-game so people tend to steer clear of it. For a newbie though this guild is pretty great: higher weapon skill than Cadets, a bit of defensive skills, sneaking, hiding, trading etc. No offensive specials though.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 09 Jan 2021 02:40

Perhaps that would be the perfect fit then? But they come with a "stay neutral" sort of restriction if I am correct? Might be harder to do if you're killing orcs for the quests. And they are pretty hard to find and not advertised. I mean, Carlsan does not tell you "oh and check Tricksters, they are meant for newbies!" :D

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 09 Jan 2021 04:44

Zhar wrote:
09 Jan 2021 02:29
No offensive specials though.
We're practically talking about replacing Cadets and this is a deal breaker.

Otherwise, fun idea! I like to say to myself that I just haven't tried enough, but I never found that guild so maybe some eye-poking tips from Carlsan?

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 09 Jan 2021 05:23

Drazson wrote:
09 Jan 2021 04:44
Zhar wrote:
09 Jan 2021 02:29
No offensive specials though.
We're practically talking about replacing Cadets and this is a deal breaker.

Otherwise, fun idea! I like to say to myself that I just haven't tried enough, but I never found that guild so maybe some eye-poking tips from Carlsan?
Noone is talking about replacing Cadets at all :) Cadets work well, in my humble opinion. Not all guilds in the game get offensive specials.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 09 Jan 2021 10:49

Redblade wrote:
09 Jan 2021 02:40
Perhaps that would be the perfect fit then? But they come with a "stay neutral" sort of restriction if I am correct? Might be harder to do if you're killing orcs for the quests. And they are pretty hard to find and not advertised. I mean, Carlsan does not tell you "oh and check Tricksters, they are meant for newbies!" :D
The alignment restrictions on Tricksters were removed many years ago. You can be holy, you can be damned.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 09 Jan 2021 16:31

Redblade wrote:
09 Jan 2021 05:23
Noone is talking about replacing Cadets at all :) Cadets work well, in my humble opinion. Not all guilds in the game get offensive specials.
Cadets are ooc + lay so you are choosing either or, that's why I say "replacing". Unless you go through all the newbie experiences, that not many do with cadets + academy for example (if any)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/