Newbie Command Name Change?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Re: Newbie Command Name Change?

Post by Drazson » 13 Jan 2021 18:49

I opened this post at least 4 different times until I even realized what the problem is with the commands. :)

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 13 Jan 2021 18:51

Skythus wrote:
13 Jan 2021 18:44
Cherek wrote:
13 Jan 2021 14:06
I think every person in the world understands it's short for newbie-ignore and absolutely nothing else?
Every person born before 1997, possibly. Makes me want to go live in the mountains.
Then why did you bring it up if you don't even

fuck, forget it jesus christ the millennials are everywhere

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 13 Jan 2021 19:28

Rache wrote:
13 Jan 2021 18:51
Then why did you bring it up if you don't even
This is what I get from taking advice from discord lol

Some people don't publicly voice their opinions and I'd rather have brief awkwardness than continue to genuinely offend people who are sensitive to those kind of things. Although it seems many are indifferent to it, you never know because the amount of newbie helpers/people that can use the command is significantly lower than the genesis population.

Unless someone thinks <nignore> is problematic I'd just shut the topic down. 90% of Genesis is mature enough not to care.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 13 Jan 2021 21:49

This is a non-problem. Loads of things deserve our time and energy. The immaturity of someone who wants to turn <nignore> into a racial slur isn't one of them. Such people will find ways to be assholes whether we change this particular command or not.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Jan 2021 00:35

This might come up again so, to be clear. In my opinion, this is not an issue not because "some people are too fragile" and "that's rediculous", but because the particular example needs some imagination to see the small semblance of slurring in.

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 14 Jan 2021 12:04

Take a step back, and ask yourself:
Do i care if it is <nignore> or <nmute>?
Does one sound better than the other?

Instead of discussion how other people are allowed to feel.

Personally, i don't care which is selected, but <nmute> has a softer context for me than <nignore>
Thus <nmute> would actually be the one i selected.

We all are too quick to get stuck in "THEY" shouldn't influence how i feel, instead of thinking should i feel something for this?
I did too.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Jan 2021 12:33

As a matter of fact, I like <nmute> too. I read it "enmute", kind of like "entell" for <ntell> :)

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 14 Jan 2021 12:52

Alisa wrote:
14 Jan 2021 12:04
Take a step back, and ask yourself:
Do i care if it is <nignore> or <nmute>?
Does one sound better than the other?

Instead of discussion how other people are allowed to feel.

Personally, i don't care which is selected, but <nmute> has a softer context for me than <nignore>
Thus <nmute> would actually be the one i selected.

We all are too quick to get stuck in "THEY" shouldn't influence how i feel, instead of thinking should i feel something for this?
I did too.
You're not wrong. The issue for me is, why do we care in the first place? I'm sure if we tried hard enough we could find any number of commands or syntaxes in the game that could possibly, theoretically, in some light be construed as "potentially offensive." Does that mean we need to go and fix them because someone, somewhere might someday think they are potentially offensive? I vote no. But you're free to <nignore> that.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 14 Jan 2021 17:04

yes...what next?! rich *persons* club? I say we close this pandora's box before it destroys us all.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Jan 2021 17:13

Raelle wrote:
14 Jan 2021 17:04
yes...what next?! rich *persons* club? I say we close this pandora's box before it destroys us all.
I support your Rich People Club idea.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/