Newbie Command Name Change?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Skythus
Adventurer

Newbie Command Name Change?

Post by Skythus » 12 Jan 2021 20:52

Is it very difficult to change a command name? I think changing <nignore> to <nmute> would be a good idea in the near future. I do not find the syntax particularly offensive as is but a friend of mine pointed out how little it takes to be read as a slur.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Command Name Change?

Post by Cherek » 13 Jan 2021 14:06

Skythus wrote:
12 Jan 2021 20:52
Is it very difficult to change a command name? I think changing <nignore> to <nmute> would be a good idea in the near future. I do not find the syntax particularly offensive as is but a friend of mine pointed out how little it takes to be read as a slur.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with command <nignore>, it simply starts with the letters n-i-g... the rest is in people's heads. Would anyone truly be offended by this? I think every person in the world understands it's short for newbie-ignore and absolutely nothing else?

Sure, we could change it "just to be safe", but are we really doing the world a favor by censoring stuff that could be offensive if you switch out half the letters in the word :) I don't know...

Does anyone else feel this is problematic? If the consensus is that we should change it, <nmute> works fine too I suppose.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 13 Jan 2021 14:16

I didn't find it offensive until Skythus pointed it out. Once he did I can see some people having problems with it (it's a bit of a stretch but still).

In any case, I think that `nmute` sounds better than `nignore` regardless of connotations :P
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Jan 2021 14:28

But can anyone really be offended by <nignore>? I mean truly offended? I don't think so. I think everyone understand there is absolutely no intent to offend anyone, and it requires a lot of imagination to turn that command word into something offensive.

But... I think the potential problem here is that it's possible some silly kids may giggle a little about it, and perhaps use it to actually offend someone. "Let's nignore this n..." You get the idea. But isn't that on them? If people want to act like idiots they tend to find a way.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 13 Jan 2021 15:54

This is precious! :D
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 13 Jan 2021 15:55

Skythus wrote:
12 Jan 2021 20:52
Newbie Lives Matter.

Zedex
Beginner

Post by Zedex » 13 Jan 2021 17:28

Oh for fuck sake. Even here that overly political correct bullshit. Jeez.
If your "friend" is offended by something like this advice him to go and see therapist or something as he is not completly sane.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 13 Jan 2021 18:02

Zedex wrote:
13 Jan 2021 17:28
If your "friend" is offended by something like this advice him to go and see therapist or something as he is not completly sane.
Noted, thanks for your contribution.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 13 Jan 2021 18:38

Zedex wrote:
13 Jan 2021 17:28
That was my initial thought. It's pretty much a non-issue unless you'd want to future proof, we're playing a game for adults. But, if it makes people uncomfortable, we can gauge the severity.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 13 Jan 2021 18:44

Cherek wrote:
13 Jan 2021 14:06
I think every person in the world understands it's short for newbie-ignore and absolutely nothing else?
Every person born before 1997, possibly. Makes me want to go live in the mountains.

<nmute> is cool 😎

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/