Web Content Generator / Pseudo Coder

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Earth
Great Adventurer

Web Content Generator / Pseudo Coder

Post by Earth » 05 Mar 2010 17:19

I just read the question from Ilrahil and response by Petros on "New Forum". Since we are on a new machine with greater access, this means that possibily many other things can be opened up. The forum is a good start, but how about this.

As having some previous experience coding for lpmuds, I know that coding is easy, but generating content can be quite tedious and time consuming for wizards. How about this idea:

Create a application that allows for the coding of basic Genesis content (rooms, items, mobs, etc) that can be generated by players via the web. You can start with basic things such as rooms (short desc, long desc, exits, examinable objects), armours (short desc, long desc, location, AC, etc), weapons, then build your own area for mobs.

Content generated here can perhaps be tested somehow and voted on (perhaps?) then content is added once the wizards have a chance to modify the values and such to maintain balance, etc.

This would allow users to kind of wiz without actually commiting their character to it full time.

What do you all think of this as an idea? Would anyone be interested?

Rhynox
Titan

Re: Web Content Generator / Pseudo Coder

Post by Rhynox » 05 Mar 2010 19:43

I would up the ante: open a wiki with a coding section where people could post examples of code, and a farm compiler (in this case, only LPC code) that allows people to compile code and receive the warnings. The compiler could be like a W3C checker for HTML or CSS. This would allow the site not only useful for Genesis-related stuff, but any other game running LPC code could link to us for their users to use it as well, kind of a LPC hub.

Licensing of code could be either public domain (now that the server isn't in Chalmers anymore it may be time to check into a real license?) or an exclusive, perpetual license could be given to the Genesis community to use the submitted code into the game base.

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 05 Mar 2010 20:31

I would be really interested, think it would be fun to learn a bit and get to code a few things.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 05 Mar 2010 23:03

This is really a cool idea. I did something similar a long time ago with a "room/item code generator" where it was a menu based system where you can add items and descriptions (short, long, etc) and it would auto generate code for you.

I imagine that anyone with any kind of web coding know-how can do this. Any takers? If you code a code generator that we can put on a sort of web app and have it be stored somewhere in a database, wizards can then browse the rooms, approve them and get them added to the game. It's a real way for players to get involved in the design and implementation process.

Petros

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 06 Mar 2010 03:18

I would, but I failed my intro to C++ class 12 years ago lol

B

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 06 Mar 2010 03:21

Such a thing already exist within the game in the Sybarus tunnels, if I recall correctly. I never got it to work properly, though, but it seemed that you could code your own stuff there, as a player. Anyone else tried it out, or is it even there anymore?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 30 Mar 2010 19:19

With the support of Petros, I have begun to work on this project in earnest.

I am creating a web based application where you can create your own player generated content. This application will allow users to design whole areas without having to wiz or learn LPC (the coding language of Genesis).

The application will basically be a set of forms which prompt for items specific to the item you are trying to create. By submitting the form with all the required prompts filled in, the application will automatically generate the code needed to create the item.

For example, to create a room, the form will ask for filename, short description, long description, exits, a list of 'examinable' objects in the room, etc. Once you submit this form, the code will be autogenerated. I am currently also working on a way to get this generated code into a test mud so that you can actually check out the things you create.

Of course, there are specific wizinfo values such as hit and pen for a weapon, that would be 'masked' in Genesis style, so that players would not be able to set any specific value directly.

My goal for this would be for this player generated content to be evaluated by the wizards and administration of Genesis and eventually included in the game.

So eventually, if you feel that there are not enough areas for evils to go and hunt, then you can create your own and submit it for evaluation. If you feel that we are lacking in newbie areas, then perhaps you can help in creating one.

I am currently working on creating the framework upon all this will run, but I would like your comments and suggestions. Maybe you can come up with an idea that you would like to see. Since I am writing this from scratch, I want to ensure I included enough things in the basic framework to be able to more easily extend the application for future functionality.

Of course, at a certain point, I will also need people to help me test this, but this is still a ways off.

I'll keep you informed as I make more progress...

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 30 Mar 2010 19:41

Nice dude!
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Creed

Post by Creed » 30 Mar 2010 19:43

Very nice indeed, Earth.

If it ends up being good, I believe this can hugely expand several areas that people would like to see expanded, and will help the wizzes a whole lot with new content.

I mean.. if all a wiz will have to do, is to change a little here and there, instead of creating it all from nothing, there is some serious time to be saved.

And then we can finally be rid of the "wiz and do it yourself" remark.

Because Im sure that many people would like to see some things done, but either do not have the ability or the wish to be a wizard.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 30 Mar 2010 20:03

Kudos to Earth for taking the initiative on this. It's one of the most exciting projects right now, and it's not even being done by a wizard. Hopefully, that trend will continue once it is completed.
Creed wrote:And then we can finally be rid of the "wiz and do it yourself" remark.

Because Im sure that many people would like to see some things done, but either do not have the ability or the wish to be a wizard.
We will never be rid of this remark. :lol: A wizard with full control over LPC will be able to do many things that a pseudo coder will probably not be able to do. What's even more exciting about this project is how it will actually help future wizards. If you want to learn LPC, and you use the web generator, you'll be able to see the effects of your changes immediately in the code. There's nothing like learning by example.

Please do submit your ideas here on this board or directly to Earth. Here's one idea from Bromen's rumor mill. If players can use this to design their own castles, how cool would that be! :o

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/