Idea - Tweaking Recovery system

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Rate the idea

Great Idea - I would like to see this implemented as soon as someone can get to it.
70%
Nice Idea - Its one to consider for the future but not at the top of the list.
20%
Idea needs more work - I think there is a better way.
10%
Not something I would be interested in.
No votes

Total votes: 10

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Idea - Tweaking Recovery system

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 10:57

Splitting this out from the player killing thread as it is worthy of its own topic...
Rhynox wrote:Those saying death penalty should be lowered haven't died lately. When you die, you lose a fifth of your experience, but your brute goes down to touchy or so. However, it is not actually touchy from what I see, but much lower. When the vampire team killed Rhynox (he was myth, dropped to legend) every three orcs in Faerun would give Rhynox a progress.

(Side note: Thanks to that death I could kill all kinds of NPCs and make a table in "Gont kargs" about how much experience each gives (like every lizard in Faerun giving as much experience as three kargs, each orc in Faerun giving as much experience as nine kargs, etc)).

On the first day of recovery I did I think 6 fantastic progresses. True, it becomes much harder on the second week, when you may spend all day and get a couple of fantastics, and on the last week of recovery you may get one fantastic in ten hours. The scale looks like logarithmic (?) so you recover probably 3/4 experience in 1/4 of the recovery time, and then spend 3/4 of the recovery time trying to recover the last 1/4. I think the recovery system is much better than previous ones (from what I was told, a monk of my size recovered in a week only). My complain about the system is that you are forgetting about people who don't have time, or that get too pissed off and take a break.

Recovery should be time based, not experience based. For example, when you die in a Counter Strike match, you must wait until the current game ends to join a new one. When you die in Quake, you must wait a time until you can join the game. So, if someone dies in Genesis, the system should start restoring the experience. What would happen if, once hurt, you could not heal? You get your health and mana back, so why not your experience?

Someone who dies could then take a break from his character, knowing he will automatically get 1/60 of the lost experience per day, and create a new one and play it for a couple of months. Once back, his original character is at full force again. Of course, if he wants he can grind his old character and the restoration will be faster, but if you don't have time (the issue with most of the myth-sized characters is that their players don't have the time to grind 12 hours per day to recover) you know that in two months your character will be at full strength again. And in the meantime he can experience something else with a new character.

The borest part of any game is the grinding, that is why there are so many bots in World of Warcraft and many others MMORPGs. So, why not let the system grind for you while you log in with your RP character and discuss about philosophy with a cleric in the roundabout?
Was it you that brought this time based recovery up before Rhynox?
I knew someone had.

Give us an inch and we take a mile.. Enh.
Old recovery was wicked tough but I think changing it helped cut down on the "F-it i'm leaving" factor we had after people died.
I would go further still and change minus experience penalty (including guild leaving) + recovery in the following ways.

Make the penalty effect all people the same way regardless of brute. Ie make it based solely on stat average.
The "life is easier for me in every way for having done more quests" is a big enough pain for chars trying to grow, lets take it out of recovery...

Add a timed trickle recovery As per Rhynox's suggestion so if people quit after a death if/when they come back they will be in a better situation than when they left, perhaps 2-3 months and you are recovered.

Enable those people people who want to hardcore it out and grind back to do so (as it is currently).

Make it possible for the burden to be shared by friends and allies.
You can transfer some essence from your char to another reducing their recovery and putting you on a small recovery.
Can't be helped by much smaller players to avoid abuse.
So say I am leading a team of 3, two us us are talking and joking around and fail to notice the third wimpy off.
The 3rd dies and we two feel guilty. Would be nice to be able to split their recovery.
So the 2 ones feeling guilty offer their essence in a special Temple in Sparkle. Takes a chunk out of the recovery.

A new siutation and type of recovery for those who are delcared at war.
If there was a war office and people were involved in a declared war. (War office was an idea I brought up before)
Enable people involved in wars to spend cash to aid FAST recovery.. Another Money-sink.
Make it that being in a war costs money too, so people don't just sit constantly at war for potential recovery benefits.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Idea - Tweaking Recovery system

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 Mar 2010 16:50

All positive feeling so far.. :D
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Re: Idea - Tweaking Recovery system

Post by Sharn » 15 Mar 2010 17:58

I have problem voting here.
I like some parts of the idea but not all of them. I would prefer the vote to look like this:

Which of the ideas do you like:
- Make the penalty effect all people the same way regardless of brute.
- Add a timed trickle recovery
etc.

So here are my comments regarding the ideas (still have not voted).

Make the penalty effect all people the same way regardless of brute.
Would be great, but seems impossible to do without removing or having the workaround to the whole brute system.

Enable those people people who want to hardcore it out and grind back to do so - sure!

Add a timed trickle recovery - Great one! I would see this one as an addition to all other recovery systems.

Make it possible for the burden to be shared by friends and allies - I do not like this one. I see many possible abuses of it, would require wizards to create counterabuses and so on...

A new siutation and type of recovery for those who are delcared at war. - Nope. I do not like the recovery system and / or penalty based on how you died.
This gives possibility of abuse and makes things more complicated both to implementation and for players to understand.
One death and (swift) recovery for all!

Played quite a lot of the MMOs, I am fan of insignificant death penalty.

What I would like to see as a death penalty is 15 to 30 minutes debuff to stats / skills.
Without loss of equipment, without loss of experience.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/