Good Caster Guild?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Maizara

Good Caster Guild?

Post by Maizara » 11 Mar 2010 18:07

A newbie came in this morning rather just now asking about wanting to join a White Mage Guild. Informed him there wasnt one then he asked if there was any good aligned caster guild. And I kind of sat there and realized.. there isnt a single one. Nor has their been for quite some time.

We've seen the Morgul Mages, PoT, Necromancers.

While good aligned Casters have the Valar... which and lets be honest here. Blow

The Scops were kind of a good aligned guild but not really, just how most the guild played their characters and now they will be gone and in place a Neutral Guild for everyone.


Any wizards ever kicked around the idea of opening a good aligned OCC caster?

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 18:11

Maizara wrote:The Scops were kind of a good aligned guild but not really, just how most the guild played their characters and now they will be gone and in place a Neutral Guild for everyone.
Now they will be gone??
What do you mean..

Scops very far from neutral in everything I ever saw of them.
All of Calia is pretty much anti evil.

Rangers also have plenty of spells.
And you are forgetting the Elementalists.
Minstrels are casters even tho the theme is pretty silly.
Magic academy is a good starter too.
Last edited by Tarax the Terrible on 11 Mar 2010 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

User avatar
petros
Site Admin
Posts: 473
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 07:50

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by petros » 11 Mar 2010 18:12

Good casters? What's that? :P

Thematically, the options for good casters have been around, but never fully completed. The Wizards of High Sorcery would have had a White Mage option. Clerics of Paladine would be another one. Rangers and Valar are the equivalent in Middle Earth.

What are some other options that you're thinking of?

Rhynox
Titan
Posts: 493
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 03:48
Location: Departed from here. Meet at Genesis!

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Rhynox » 11 Mar 2010 18:16

Bring back the WoHS!

Hektor
Great Adventurer
Posts: 198
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 01:25

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Hektor » 11 Mar 2010 18:16

I can think of at least 4-5 discarded good aligned caster guild projects over just the past 10 years... So I am sure the ideas have been there. I think caster guilds, due to their demanding nature (political issues, balance issues - many abilities to measure and approve, playability issues (so I spend 10 hours getting the components, the fight took 2 mins and I lost?) and high need for maintenance) and in particular in the past having a decentralized magic system caused most of these projects to fail.

Maybe with a new and hopefully more uniform magic system, it could mean the rebirth of some of the old projects or someone feeling the urge to take on a new one. Personally I'd like to see real Mage guild for the good aligned side. (this game has plenty of clerics and ranger style guilds - layman and occupational as it is).

But we can always dream, right :)
Lawful evil - conform or die.

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 18:17

Do we need more guilds?
Do we need more magic users before the current system has been balanced?

Probably no to both.

But I guess this hole was left after the departure of the Mystics and yes it would be nice for players to have a well rounded choice.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Maizara

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Maizara » 11 Mar 2010 18:18

petros wrote:Good casters? What's that? :P

Thematically, the options for good casters have been around, but never fully completed. The Wizards of High Sorcery would have had a White Mage option. Clerics of Paladine would be another one. Rangers and Valar are the equivalent in Middle Earth.

What are some other options that you're thinking of?

Rangers and Valar dont count, those are more Cleric then Mage guilds.

And im thinking of like.. hell I dont know some guild that throws around a spear of light at people.

Maizara

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Maizara » 11 Mar 2010 18:19

Tarax the Terrible wrote:
Maizara wrote:The Scops were kind of a good aligned guild but not really, just how most the guild played their characters and now they will be gone and in place a Neutral Guild for everyone.
Now they will be gone??
What do you mean..

Scops very far from neutral in everything I ever saw of them.
All of Calia is pretty much anti evil.

Rangers also have plenty of spells.
And you are forgetting the Elementalists.
Minstrels are casters even tho the theme is pretty silly.
Magic academy is a good starter too.
Rangers and Valar are clerical, Minstrels is neutral and please dont compare the Academy (also neutral) to the MM and PoT or Necro's :-P

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 18:24

Maizara wrote: Rangers and Valar are clerical, Minstrels is neutral and please dont compare the Academy (also neutral) to the MM and PoT or Necro's :-P
OFC not heheh, saying that things are looking better for the new magic users.
Hopefully it will follow through into senior level.

If we could get some space for nurturing evils in the all too goodie goodie sicky sweet Gelan starters guilds that would be nice to.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan
Posts: 493
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 03:48
Location: Departed from here. Meet at Genesis!

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Rhynox » 11 Mar 2010 18:26

hektor wrote:I can think of at least 4-5 discarded good aligned caster guild projects over just the past 10 years...
Iliana :'(

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/