Inflation - layman

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sharn
Expert

Inflation - layman

Post by Sharn » 25 Mar 2010 22:22

When I compare the nowadays Genesis to the times back when I started in 1994 it strikes me, that most of the layman guilds do a lot of damage.
I think that it was just angmar and monks before.

This has following effects:
  • player characters deal a lot more damage then before
  • players kill monsters faster
  • players gain experience faster
  • less incentive to team
  • players are able to solo a lot more then before
  • inflation - need for more and "bigger" killing areas (more powerful and rewarding enemies to kill are needed)
  • layman guilds without the ability to constantly deal damage are less powerful and less interesting
  • guild inflation (I am really sorry to say that) copy-paste guilds appear, with poor lore and RP excuse to offer players special attack dealing damage:
    militia, blademasters, minotaurs.
The abilities dealing damage add nothing to gameplay.
I really hate nerfs but I say: all the layman special attacks dealing damage should be removed.
That would make some guilds (blademasters, minotaurs) useless.
This abilities should be replaced by some other abilities or guilds should be closed.

Q: Want more damage?
A: Team

Mersereau
Champion

Re: Inflation - layman

Post by Mersereau » 25 Mar 2010 22:28

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Mar 2010 22:47

I actually would like even MORE layman guilds.
More choises, more differences and more fun :D
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 25 Mar 2010 22:56

Epic pic imo!!

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 25 Mar 2010 23:19

Mersereau wrote:[...]
Did it help? :mrgreen:

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 26 Mar 2010 00:15

I have no idea what the pic is saying about the thread.
Is it just me?

I guess the Layman guild pwnage started with the blademasters?
Personally I think a stunning layman is even more of a game changer than pure damage tho.
And now we have the damage avoidance ones as well.

I remember when for extra damage it was just the minstrels with the occasional vibrato mana willing, monks (difficult to join) with maegeri or AA without shield bashing so had to use a club at the sucky skill levels to smash. (Maybe forgetting a few those were all I knew)

Its progress, giving more rounded out character choice.
Agreed characters are more powerful as a result but isn't that more fun?

Do you remember / ever hear of a "stat change". I am not sure supreme stats existed then but the game had a lot of people at IMM soloing Emerald and such like. Characters were considered to big and powerful and the solution implemented to balance the mud was to make everyone smaller. I _hated_ it. Just like dying a lot of times and going backwards, from soloing Emerald to no longer being able to kill Alexander without getting beat up. This was the main reason I stopped playing my first char and took a break.

The alternatives to inflation seem limited...?
To avoid nerfing I would rather see the idea of an Immortal Isle, with different challenges that just grinding. More warfare and players dying etc.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 26 Mar 2010 00:42

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Its progress, giving more rounded out character choice.
Its not more choice. You just have to join the layman guild matching with your occupational guild.
Monk? Join angmar, minotaurs or templars. Knight? Join blademasters or militia, etc.

More damage adds nothing new. Its pretty much: add one more trigger and you are set.

Abilities like stun, heal, cleanse, rescue, evade, move behind, ... add some tactics, especially if you have team with various abilities.
On the other thread you write that you want more tactics, but when it comes to choice, you choose like everyone else - damage.
And you choose right, because that is what counts.
But why to code guilds for that? Waste of time. Add an layman guild similiar to merceneries, pick your skill - voila!
Everyone is happy.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 26 Mar 2010 01:17

sharn wrote:The abilities dealing damage add nothing to gameplay.
I really hate nerfs but I say: all the layman special attacks dealing damage should be removed.
This abilities should be replaced by some other abilities or guilds should be closed.
Nothing makes an AoB more giddy than to here these words. *gets out the nerf bat* :D

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 26 Mar 2010 01:20

petros wrote:
sharn wrote:The abilities dealing damage add nothing to gameplay.
Nothing makes an AoB more giddy than to here these words. *gets out the nerf bat* :D
:shock:

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 26 Mar 2010 01:58

Well I really hope Petros is joking or you might have some angry people to face Sharn ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/