Development & Secrecy

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Velicus
Apprentice

Re: Development & Secrecy

Post by Velicus » 19 May 2010 05:27

I think 1 and 2 would be best implemented together, especially with the OPTIONAL cap I am thinking of. An optional cap might work something like this:
At some level, just for the sake of example lets say champion, you are given a choice... (A) to have the amount of XP that applies to your stats capped (B) to lose your ability to attack other players. Under choice A, you would still continue to gain experience as usual, but only a fixed amount would go to your stats... so the only thing that might change would be the balance between str, dex, con, etc. Under choice B, you could still become attacked, so there is at least recourse people have if B players start doing abusive things or aid the enemy.

Of course, through some process, you could move back and forth between option A and B, though obviously it should not be just whenever someone feels like it with no setbacks

This is just an initial idea, so feel free to point out flaws or come up with a better example. Another good start would be for the wizards to talk to those who actually enjoy their grinding and see if there is anything they'd take in exchange for them to stop and let us set a cap at their level. Perhaps a nice private cottage just outside of Sparkle? Their towering figures memorialized some place central? Unlimited free use of both the Cadu and Sanction brothels? But I say a good start because I think it would be unfortunate if everyone had to grind as much as them to reach their size.

Velicus

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 19 May 2010 07:38

If you're worried about people grinding endlessly and the effect it has on PvP, just make mortal stats mean ALOT less when fighting another player. You can even just say that any stat over Champion level, is not counted at all in PvP.
That way someone who loves to grind can grind to their hearts content, and still not go about abusing it against their fellow players.
The grinders can still see their huge stats and can still compete with each other on the Ranking page (if it ever works again), but won't be a big problem for the rest of the game.

Now this would ofcourse step on the toes of those few that grind to Myth and then go about abusing their size to kill off anyone they feel like. But personally, I don't mind breaking a few eggs to make the donut a better place for the vast majority.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 19 May 2010 08:59

I love the idea of stats counting in PvP only to a certain level (well, maybe apart from con, this should be counted normally at all times) and later on only as a show-off.
In my opinion, PvP-counting stats should end at epic. After that, you're traveling into the land of immortals to be recognized as the greatest grinder of them all. But still, said person would be better in pfights against others, because of the higher con (which would not be capped).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 19 May 2010 22:39

Another idea would be for stats to increase effectiveness more logarithmically. I think that was actually the purpose of brute... people already increase combat XP very logarithmically... problem is it creates an asymptote and progress never reaches 0 and perhaps it should have.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 20 May 2010 09:27

A possibility yes Velicus however.... Look at the majority of active players in the game..... Most f them are grinders. Genesis needs to bring in more people but at the moment the vast majority are people who love Genesis and love to grind. Other things need to be implemented first before the stat cap or an asymptotic state of experience. Things that will help people to enjoy the RP more in a way.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/