Global events and recognition.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Global events and recognition.

Post by Rhaegar » 20 May 2010 11:48

This is a totally random idea that just came to my head, but I thought it cool enough to share :)

It's about creating the auto-generating lists of fame within the game, to attract glory hunting players to certain areas that are not so often visited nowadays or used just as another boring grind-grounds.
I don't have the specifics of how such things would work from the technical point of view, but I have the general outline.

Example:
Large stone standing in Middlearth somewhere, describing the adventures of brave fellowships. Everyone could read it, everyone could be in it (in the story that is).

Once every armageddon a team could gather and venture onto a perilous task. It could be set randomly, like killing x trolls in Moria and slaying Ashburz or cutting your way through orcs there to retrieve some sort of treasure.
If the deed is done, the story would be generated and appear on the stone in the form of:

"... and after a long and vicious battle, finally <playername> has dealt a mighty blow that fell the ferocious orc captain."

"... <playername> has slain over a dozen trolls on that day!"

"... the brave <playername> fell in Moria, succumbing to the many wounds inflicted upon him by the foul orcs."

etc. etc.

Of course, the story would be long and entertaining, with character names changing depending on the players who partake in it.

There could be other places than Moria included of course.

I hope someone understands anything from this random train of thought :)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Global events and recognition.

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 May 2010 11:52

Nice idea.
More events would be good fun.
I love the fact VK gets raided, Kroug raids etc.. I think the kroug raids publish a report as well who took part, who killed most etc.
Something like that being more open would be cool.. Like a raid on Sparkle. Or Kargs sacking Gont.

The fact that it happens randomly and players passing by can jump in is a plus I think.
Urgent calls fo support etc, more exciting than all being prepared?

Some could be purely for PvE and Co-op. IE no one should care about others killing Kargs and good and evil can compete but not hinder each other.
Others could be powder kegs where PvP will likely play a factor. IE VK raid and letting the mud know when its about to happen, baddies and goodies congregate to take one side or other..

Also think the recognition part has a lot in common with the achievements idea that was being talked about..
http://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewto ... hievements
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 27 May 2010 18:15

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Nice idea.
More events would be good fun.
I love the fact VK gets raided, Kroug raids etc.. I think the kroug raids publish a report as well who took part, who killed most etc.
Something like that being more open would be cool.. Like a raid on Sparkle. Or Kargs sacking Gont.

The fact that it happens randomly and players passing by can jump in is a plus I think.
Urgent calls fo support etc, more exciting than all being prepared?

Some could be purely for PvE and Co-op. IE no one should care about others killing Kargs and good and evil can compete but not hinder each other.
Others could be powder kegs where PvP will likely play a factor. IE VK raid and letting the mud know when its about to happen, baddies and goodies congregate to take one side or other..
How about an attack upon the Donut itself where a foreign invader comes to destroy (eat?) the donut itself. All in the game would have to fight off the invaders else something catastrophic would happen, like just as the donut is going to be destroyed, Armageddon steps in and renews the whole world. With the glowing of weapons adjusted to the way it has been, it would be to the whole game's interest to stop this premature armageddon.

Goodies and baddies alike would have to join together or at least work in tandem to fight off these invaders. Giant ants or bees perhaps slicing away the donut for their queen who comes in the end as the big boss when all of her workers are killed?

Of course all attacks could happen in a central location like Sparkle, so that all could be there within a couple of boat rides.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 May 2010 18:33

Cool... Fatty could be the final boss..
And its not like anyone paying attention could ignore the chance of an early arma and continue to grind/whatever.
But imagine the whinning if early armas wiped out guild racks.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 May 2010 18:41

Would probably have to compromise instead of having an actual Armageddon triggered, but instead a mask of a one room mud, aka the "safe" waiting room the donut is being rebaked for 30 mins or so.. All stuff in racks remains safe, if you quit out its a start location.. You may loose unsaving gear, but tough luck.

Remember when the mud was down for a while years ago and all there was when you logged in was only one or two rooms?
It was actually pretty cool, you got to meet face to face a lot of people you may have heard about but where unlikely to bump into.
Think that was when I first met Mumon who was big scary Mr. Mystic.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 27 May 2010 20:07

There was a raid of ogres that I know Trutblemma and some others took part of in Sparkle a while ago. But I think that was the only one.

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 27 May 2010 22:39

Ilrahil wrote:There was a raid of ogres that I know Trutblemma and some others took part of in Sparkle a while ago. But I think that was the only one.
Its because our event hero has been hiding, though I have seen his head rear up a few times lately..

*poke* *poke*

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 28 May 2010 19:42

Oh come now its been six months since I've been active. No one stepped up in that amount of time to push for events?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/