Recovery gag...

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Recovery gag...

Post by Rhaegar » 21 May 2010 19:37

I'm not sure if there's already something like that implemented and I just don't know about it , but would it be possible to gag some of the multiple items recovering messages?

I don't mean the buggy herb wraps, but the system-side code that would perhaps turn 'You recover a small red berry.' x100 into 'You recover many red berries.' or something. Or making it a lot faster. Right now I have to spend over a minute standing still after I log in, and I don't even have half the herbs/items I would like to...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Velicus
Apprentice

Re: Recovery gag...

Post by Velicus » 22 May 2010 16:02

Yeah, this has always been annoying. The original reason was to prevent lag immediately after Armageddon with everyone recovering lots of items, no? Why not just have it apply only immediately after Armageddon then? And is it really still an issue on our current system?

Besides that, I forget... why aren't herbs heap objects?

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 23 May 2010 06:44

You complain for a minute? I need to stay put for 20 minutes every time I log in, and at times I used to stay 45 minutes recovering herbs. The problem isn't really the herb recovering, it is that somehow, after Armageddon, I recover the herbs before the equipment, so I don't have equipment for 20 minutes. And if I travel in the something, I risk going out and recovering everything while fighting something big.

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 24 May 2010 04:05

I've "idea"d this before too..
When your weapon/armour recovers, it keeps the condition etc it had when you quit (usually :roll: ) so.. Why can't herbs just be saved with a "property" for how many you have.. As far as I know, one piece of a herb is identical to any other piece of the same herb.. right?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 May 2010 10:52

Gorboth have already replied in an earlier thread that making all herbs recover at the same time is a problem, as is the herb-wraps. Exactly why I don't know, but it sounded like some kind of clash of code, so it's probably not as easy as it may sound, or they would have done it already.

Still, search Gorboth' earlier posts and you should find it.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 24 May 2010 11:03

The herbs are not exact, because the decay state of every single herb differs. That's why coins are treated like a heap, and herbs aren't.

But, we're contemplating the issue.

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 24 May 2010 13:22

Decay state? The length of time it would take for the herb to disappear if you dropped it?
I don't see any problem in this getting reset whenever you "recover", for the sake of having herbs recover quicker..

Coins.. They don't actually "recover", do they?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 May 2010 13:27

Onton wrote:Decay state? The length of time it would take for the herb to disappear if you dropped it?
I don't see any problem in this getting reset whenever you "recover", for the sake of having herbs recover quicker..
It can be a problem since certain (rare) herbs lose their properties when they dry up a bit.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 24 May 2010 13:40

Ah.. I never knew about this.
Maybe these rare herbs could recover individually like they all do now, and the normal ones could recover quicker, then?

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 26 May 2010 01:37

Why not just give the character itself a command that basically functions like a bank in every start room. For instance..

deposit herbs

You remove your pouch and place it under your pillow where it will stay safe till you awake next.

------

withdraw herbs

You reach under your pillow and grab your pouch of herbs.

Give every character their own herb bank so to speak that is accessible in every start room. Solves the problem of figuring out how to work with the state of decay. Also make it so the player cannot leave the room until they grab their pouch again.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/