Mariners

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Mariners

Post by Rhaegar » 12 Jun 2010 03:43

Don't you think that Mariners need some more love? They seem rather sub-par compared to other craft guilds.

Some loose ideas:

1. Skills.

Definitely need more of them, here are some suggestions with explanations:
climb - have you ever seen how tall the masts on the ships are? And how hard it is to climb the rigging?

Apparently anyone can do that...

acrobat - same reason as above, but this time try doing this in the open sea, when everything is wobbling...

Adding this skills to superior journeyman level wouldn't cost much tax and would immediately improve the guild.

2. Special features (you know, like stuff that can actually be used outside of Bloodsea).

I believe that people who reach the highest rank in Mariners (Sea Captain of Genesis or something like that) should be rewarded with the following:

a) The ship captains in the Realms recognize you as their comerade and let you ride for free (note however, that only you would be able to get the free ship rides, not your teammates or animals).

b) You can now build your own ship (there's a shipwright in Kabal) which would be a form of end-game activity for people who have too much time and money on their hands. You could build a wide variety of ships, from a simple longboat to a freaking 1st Rate Ship of the Line.
Some features of this "crafting quest":
- ships can be built in parts (so you don't need to gather all the materials at once)
- parts take months (in real time) to complete (depending on the ship type and materials used)
- you need to gather various materials (different types of wood for decks and masts, stones for ballast, different metals for metal parts - including silver and gold if you want some extravagant stuff, gems to adorn the statue etc.) which Wizards would conveniently hide all other the world. You would of course have to gather this materials in gazillions.
- you need to pay the shipwright's fee

What you get for it?
- your very own, unique ship with the unique name, which you can sail to various parts of the world
- perhaps you could even rent a pier in Sparkle or somewhere else, where you could keep your ship and sail it to other parts, not relying on the pre-set ShipLines
- the ship could also act as your private guildhall, for which you could additionally construct (money and materials, remember?) cargo holds to store your equipment, luxurious bedroom to sleep (seduce) in or other things that might come to your mind. Hell, maybe you could even hire some crew to guard your things while you sleep and make your ship travel faster? (I think that for larger ships, you would be forced to hire the crew in order to even leave port with it)

Any comments on the above ideas? Any more ideas?
Last edited by Rhaegar on 12 Jun 2010 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Tive
Rising Hero

Re: Mariners

Post by Tive » 12 Jun 2010 11:15

and then you wake up...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 12 Jun 2010 13:37

Tive wrote:and then you wake up...
:cry:

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 12 Jun 2010 18:45

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 12 Jun 2010 21:31

Rhaegar wrote:Don't you think that Mariners need some more love? They seem rather sub-par compared to other craft guilds.
...compared to smiths..
Gardeners are fairly useless too. :(

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 12 Jun 2010 22:32

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 13 Jun 2010 00:28

Yeah, Gardeners are useless, that's probably why most people you meet are Gardeners and not Smiths or Mariners...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Jun 2010 00:34

Rhaegar: It started good, but the pier and personal guild hall and sail everywhere in the world kinda made them abit too good...:) I dont think Craft guilds should have that much more than they currently do. I think mariners give as much as the others more or less... You get access to a whole area with some quests and equipment after all. Thats not so bad?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 13 Jun 2010 22:51

I know that pier and personal guildhall is quite a bit too much (but your personal ship, with crew that would protect you/help you board enemy ships, docked in Bloodsea would be cool). I like to dream though, and with putting some ridiculous demands, maybe some of the others (like getting 2 more trainable skills and free ships) are going to get implemented. Psychology 101 :)

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 14 Jun 2010 08:45

I'd love to have a ship of my own since I've actually never sailed one as a mariner lol

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/