Evil mounts

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Evil mounts

Post by Cherek » 14 Jun 2010 18:23

Alorrana wrote:well then if Minoes shouldnt be able to ride, they should have a huge Fatquie advandtge and not tireing so much.. Ogres could ride huge dragon lizards or something like this.. Creed just because you dont think so. dosnt make it alright..All goodies benefit from killing in harrad from times to times. but when AA has made their way from the mountains to harrad, and patroling the camp, we are on the verge of exhaustion.. and you can just ride your sweet knigget and elven horses to safty and leave us standing there catching our breaths.

Come on..why is it that its only the goodguys that should be abel to Powerloot with the benefits from horses..? and why it it only goodies whining up about it. All evils should be able to mount something. Hell ogres of AA could hire olifants.. hehe. Why are you so against Minoes and goblins and orcs should have the chance to ride. ??
When evils complain about "goodies" getting so much advantages they tend to forget things they take for granted.

Like the superior combat stats for goblins and, even more for ogres.

Or the ability to kill just about anything anywhere. "Goodies" cant do that for the most part. Thats a big plus for evils.

Why cant I be a goodie non-goblin with great combat stats? Thats unfair! Or?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 14 Jun 2010 19:12

Stats vs EQ (goodies get access to better stuff) etc. is the old quarrel.

And why all the rage? Gobbos do get really good physical stats, but their mentals (which are often very useful) are very sub-par.

But, this thread is not about combat at all, it's about having your mount to make travelling a bit easier for people and perhaps adding some fluff/RP options. Nothing more.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Jun 2010 19:23

Where did you find rage in my post? I am not angry at all nor envious at goblins, I simply mentioned there are more balance factors than just one. Not every single thing needs to be equal as long as the global balance remains equal. (Which its mostly likely isnt, but in a perfect world...).

To be honest, Bree horses are almost more problematic than they are useful. Its good if you wanna go somewhere and kill-loot almost endlessly, however using them when running around the realms is often pretty bugged and messy. Lots of places where you simply lose the horse or pony without knowing it. And once you lose it you cant get it back until next day. I remember the knight's horses used to be even more troublesome, back in my days atleast... :)

Goblins can have wolves that work a bit better. So I dont know who's better off really... its the saddlebag thing they're lacking I guess. Its still good for being less tired I assume? Which makes you loot a bit better atleast.

Anyway, goblins can still ride cant they? They just cant rent? So if they find/steal a horse they can use it?

And no, dont get me started on combats vs mentals :) If youre not a spellcaster (that is most players) your combats are way more useful.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 14 Jun 2010 22:13

Even as a spellcaster, combat stats are more or less more useful than mental stats in the current system :)
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 Jun 2010 10:03

Well since we are off topic..

The combat stats are useful because under the current system we have a bunch of Tank mages running around.
The one stop do it all character that can stand great in the face of melee damage and destroy you with powerful spells.

Kudos for Tilorop for introducing most of us to this phrase.
Is was around for the Minstrels who were since balanced down.
The Necromancers who were since balanced down.
And the SCoPs who are rumoured to be closing.

We (quite naturally) seem to want to be able to do everything with one character.
But I know some hack and slash characters who put everything into DEX and STR, ignoring CON , because they plan on being a support character and not a tanker.. To be the best support caster they would focus on mentals.

;)
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 15 Jun 2010 11:07

No Tarax. I am not biting. But you are very wrong. I will stop hi-jacking.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 Jun 2010 11:57

Not just wrong but very wrong? I'm hurt.

I know you would say dex and con are useful for a mage for avoiding damage, soaking damage, having more HP, recovering HP faster etc.
But I am saying that is only beneficial because the casters are all being tanks.

I am looking forward to the new system, recovering mana faster etc sounds great.
But what I would hate to see (but doubtless will) is the tank mage situation going over powered again.

Bad scenario..
Giving a caster okay here is your damage avoidance reduces physical damage from all enemy attacks by 70%.
Here is your healing spell, you can cast it in combat 90% effectively.
Here is your damage spell, you can cast it in combat 90% effectively.
Caster walks in, takes on all enemies, tanks better than a fighter and blows them away with uber damage.
Runs out of mana or components and this is seen as the main balance.

Interesting possibilities.
Caster cannot tank melee damage effectively, if it gets to the point where they are ducking axes and swords they in trouble.
Caster can put down a rune on the ground in room, first two to attack them get a major stun, including movement.
Caster can use powerful area of effect damage spells like dragons breaths.
Caster can put an attacker who is not taking damage to sleep/slow/confuse etc, but this has a constant & considerable mana drain.
So if a caster effects one enemy like this they have limited other options, two or three takes all their focus.
Caster can use forcefield type damage avoidance spells but then cannot use other spells while maintaining it.
IE the caster is being a caster and not another fighter in disguise who has uber burst damage but lower sustained damage.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 15 Jun 2010 12:00

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Not just wrong but very wrong? I'm hurt.

I know you would say dex and con are useful for a mage for avoiding damage, soaking damage, having more HP, recovering HP faster etc.
But I am saying that is only beneficial because the casters are all being tanks.

I am looking forward to the new system, recovering mana faster etc sounds great.
But what I would hate to see (but doubtless will) is the tank mage situation going over powered again.

Bad scenario..
Giving a caster okay here is your damage avoidance reduces physical damage from all enemy attacks by 70%.
Here is your healing spell, you can cast it in combat 90% effectively.
Here is your damage spell, you can cast it in combat 90% effectively.
Caster walks in, takes on all enemies, tanks better than a fighter and blows them away with uber damage.
Runs out of mana or components and this is seen as the main balance.

Interesting possibilities.
Caster cannot tank melee damage effectively, if it gets to the point where they are ducking axes and swords they in trouble.
Caster can put down a rune on the ground in room, first two to attack them get a major stun, including movement.
Caster can use powerful area of effect damage spells like dragons breaths.
Caster can put an attacker who is not taking damage to sleep/slow/confuse etc, but this has a constant & considerable mana drain.
So if a caster effects one enemy like this they have limited other options, two or three takes all their focus.
Caster can use forcefield type damage avoidance spells but then cannot use other spells while maintaining it.
IE the caster is being a caster and not another fighter in disguise who has uber burst damage but lower sustained damage.
Is the caster evil and riding the mount? :?

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 15 Jun 2010 12:06

No we have to draw the line somewhere..
That would be overpowered! :lol:

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 15 Jun 2010 21:01

Tarax the Terrible wrote:No we have to draw the line somewhere..
That would be overpowered! :lol:
Dammit!! I knew it was sounding to good to be true...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/