Statcap

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sharn
Expert

Re: Statcap

Post by Sharn » 21 Jun 2010 22:29

Greywolf wrote:If there are people who don't think playing Genesis is fun if they can't be the biggest character around then they shouldn't play.
Easy to counter:
If there are people who think that there is no place for players who want to be biggest character, they should not play.
In other words: Who are you to say who should and who should not play?
How many biggest characters do you want to remove?

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 21 Jun 2010 22:30

"new players".... it's a myth!

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 21 Jun 2010 22:33

Maizara wrote:And no im thinking about the several new players who tell me Genesis is fucking stupid and who wants to spend years playing that when they can go RP on a different game and spend maybe a year getting to the top level.
I tend to "nlist" a lot when I am on. I like to help people grow and show them stuff even if they are not really new players.
Most of the times there are not any newbies. And most of newbies are not new players.
Sorry I do not believe in several new players, either.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 21 Jun 2010 22:35

There is no need to get angry here, even if we do not agree :mrgreen:
I agree there needs to be a way to allow new characters to grow faster. I just do not think a statcap will help Genesis.

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 21 Jun 2010 22:40

Tive wrote:In most books and stories there are some heroes, much more powerful than mere mortals. I doubt having huge players around would discourage newcomers from playing. At least it never did that to me.

So using this as an argument is flawed.

Just admit you are selfishly thinking about yourself ;P
I have played for 12 years and the biggest either of my two main characters ever got was small hero. This is because I have done less then half the quests and played a Monk and a Ranger. Small Monks and Rangers simply can't grind very well.

Having large characters around didn't discourage me either. But I don't believe I am typical of most people who play games like genesis. Just because I played for 12 years with small characters doesn't mean there are a lot of people out there who will do the same thing. Most people imagine themselves as the hero or heroine, not someone else.

Velicus
Apprentice

Post by Velicus » 21 Jun 2010 22:42

sharn wrote:1. It is a generalization.
Some people earned their experience through 24-hour a day grind but many more have earned it through years of play.
There is no rule that says we have to take away what people have already earned.
sharn wrote: 2. To have a statcap, there has to be an "end game" first.
Surely, there is roleplay and other activities to perform in Genesis.
But, there has to be something for everyone, powerplayers too.
Call me crazy, but I don't think players powerplay just because they like to imagine numbers incrementing on a server. They do it to gain power and influence in the game. There is already plenty of "end game" including, but not limited to PvP, guild advancement, game exploration, politics and, as you pointed out, roleplay. Power can be gained through those as well.

To be less sarcastic than my last post, I have never ever even come close to hearing a good argument against having a stat cap. The arguments I've heard are akin to "I worked hard so I get to ruin the fun for everyone" or "we have to let them win or they will go home." And so our wizarding parents avoid any decision, hoping the best way to avoid spoiling our big playdate is by doing nothing, knowing the losers will throw a tantrum. Cowards. Tell the spoiled brats that winning isn't everything. It's about having fun and it should be obvious by now the fun has been and is being ruined for many of us.

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 21 Jun 2010 22:49

sharn wrote:There is no need to get angry here, even if we do not agree :mrgreen:
I agree there needs to be a way to allow new characters to grow faster. I just do not think a statcap will help Genesis.
Of course not its a discussion :D

As for the newbies, I was referring to over the years not just recently.

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 21 Jun 2010 23:04

sharn wrote:
Greywolf wrote:If there are people who don't think playing Genesis is fun if they can't be the biggest character around then they shouldn't play.
Easy to counter:
If there are people who think that there is no place for players who want to be biggest character, they should not play.
In other words: Who are you to say who should and who should not play?
How many biggest characters do you want to remove?
My point is that if there was a size cap and this caused some people to think it wasn't fun to play if they weren't the biggest players around then they would be in the same boat as as all the other players who stopped playing because Genesis wasn't fun for them for a bunch of other reasons. I should have expressed my opinion a bit more gently the first time around.

My point is also that super large, unreasonably attainable sized characters make the game not as fun as it could be for many more people then there are people with super large unreasonably attainable characters. I guess I think far more people have stopped playing over the years because of size/growth issues then stay because they grind 24/7.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 21 Jun 2010 23:06

Well, another way to solve the problem, would be checking where myths go and scaling the NPC's there accordingly (no more solo grinding, go socialize).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 21 Jun 2010 23:10

Laurel wrote:don't come with that crap about "you will never reach them" - it's simply not true
if you fail on that topic it doesn't mean others do as well ...
Just because something is achievable doesn't mean its reasonably achievable. I don't think it is reasonable to expect new players to play genesis as it is now. I think most people would consider it unplayable because what is required to grow and compete with the largest characters is not reasonable...even if it is possible.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/