Newbie Helpers are the BEST!

Offer up praise and thanks to players and wizards alike. Nothing like feel good moments to spruce up morale
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greywolf
Adventurer

Re: Newbie Helpers are the BEST!

Post by Greywolf » 24 Oct 2010 20:14

It's true that you do continue to get XP even when extremely violent. Most people don't find that rate of growth fun and leave. The few that stay spend their time grinding (and scripting/botting/cheating?). What kind of game would you expect new players to enjoy and stay to play?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 Oct 2010 20:21

This discussion has been up before, but it's relevant as ever, and I agree with what most say here.

Rework the brute system.
Remove the Xp distinction and make all Quest-Xp, General-Xp and Combat-Xp the same type of basic Xp.
Just multiply the quest reward with 10. Quests would still be worth doing, but not an absolute necessity as it is now.

Also I can only agree with Draugor, I really don't like questing and I can count the quests I actually enjoyed on one hand...if that.

Regardless of the brute/quest discussion, the fact that current players are doing good work with brand new players are pretty great. Gives one hope for the future of this game :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 24 Oct 2010 21:30

There has actually been a healthy amount of discussion in the wizard world about redoing the way brutality and quest experience works for the game.

Hopefully we can figure out a good way to make it work, as the points made here are of critical importance.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 24 Oct 2010 23:07

gorboth wrote:There has actually been a healthy amount of discussion in the wizard world about redoing the way brutality and quest experience works for the game.

Hopefully we can figure out a good way to make it work, as the points made here are of critical importance.

G.
I personally think thats a great Idea. kinda gives people a more free choise. will i use my brain and explorer, or will i switch it off and just beat my way to myth.. will get more players to stay too. I believe.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Creed

Post by Creed » 25 Oct 2010 01:04

Tarax came up with a good suggestion at some point..

That your mortal size /xp level was the determining factor for what brute you had.
so no matter how many quests you had done, you would have brute for size only.

all wanderers would have same low brute.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Oct 2010 13:51

I would just like to add I do NOT enjoy grinding. Quests are frustrating and hard sometimes, especially without solutions, however I do find both ways of questing more interesting than grinding. I am sure there are others like me who just "hate" the grinding part. So if you are going to make changes, please think of us too. I agree quests should not be necessary to gain size perhaps, but personally I just dont like that grinding is necessary to gain size. And grinding is way more necessary then questing to gain size. Those of us who do not like grinding need an alternative way to grow... why not use quests for it? Right now you need both which makes two groups of people annoyed. Those who doesnt like the quests and those who doesnt like the grinding.

Just removing brute would make quests completely meaningless and then there would be only the grinding way to grow. I am not sure even multiplying quest XP by TEN would be enough to make them rewarding enough compared to how much XP you gain from grinding. And even if we did, we would have a rather serious boom of mortal sizes... the bigger would get even more bigger.

Hm, not an easy problem to solve this.

Oh by the way, about the newbie pin, could we get an "ntell last" command that would show a list of say the last 10 ntells with a timestamp? Its so easy to miss newbie questions if you dont have your eyes glued to the screen at all times. And even if you do considering the spam when moving fast / fighting, etc.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 25 Oct 2010 15:15

Well, quests should give alot more xp than grinding ofc, remove brute and boost the quests to give a shitload of xp, hence making questing worth it for those that like it.
THe main problem is with some quests the insane lack of logic to them. And some syntaxes that are completely of the wall. That stuff doesent help, for example to get the ball from the hole (not an actual quest in the game just an example of an isane syntax) reach into hole on fourth tree from the right and grab ball. Second command Rub ball against snotty nose, polish ball with snot :P
SOme syntaxes are actually comparable to that, even tho I took it a tad bit further:P

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 25 Oct 2010 15:54

I'd be more for the dynamic brutal part, mainly as I'm one of those with quite low questxp's.
However to much changes won't magically attract new players, instead we might see more of the old guys leave. On the other hand we might get a few returning players who wish to start fresh or continue on their old character with crappy questxp's and no chance for supersize at the current way brutal works.
Would make it more fair, although life ain't fair :lol:

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 24 Dec 2010 04:52

I would just like to be able to have the quests I have done with one of my chars to transfer over to another one. Some quests are just a pain.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 24 Dec 2010 08:14

Johnny wrote:I would just like to be able to have the quests I have done with one of my chars to transfer over to another one. Some quests are just a pain.
Essentially just a name change ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/