Map Master Arman!

Offer up praise and thanks to players and wizards alike. Nothing like feel good moments to spruce up morale
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Map Master Arman!

Post by gorboth » 29 Sep 2014 18:24

If you haven't noticed yet, a lot of Krynn has been coming on line with the Magic Map in the official client. This is due to huge efforts and excellent quality work by Arman, who has returned from long absence to renew his interest in Dragonlance for Genesis. He's actually been tackling one of the great conundrums of the Magic Map project - the great plains! We were uncertain how to get those rolling until he prompted the effort, and now it is coming along in excellent form.

So ... huge thanks and praise to Arman!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Bromen
Champion

Re: Map Master Arman!

Post by Bromen » 30 Sep 2014 09:34

Perhaps he can accentuate the Krynn guilds with locations of units? I hate not finding one and then the whole damn plain spawns again.

-B

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Sep 2014 15:49

bromen wrote:Perhaps he can accentuate the Krynn guilds with locations of units? I hate not finding one and then the whole damn plain spawns again.

-B
What an excellent idea. That was always the most frustrating part of the plains system. I have no idea if it's possible or how much work it would require though, but I like the idea!

Meercat
Beginner

Post by Meercat » 30 Sep 2014 16:02

Cherek wrote:
bromen wrote:Perhaps he can accentuate the Krynn guilds with locations of units? I hate not finding one and then the whole damn plain spawns again.

-B
What an excellent idea. That was always the most frustrating part of the plains system. I have no idea if it's possible or how much work it would require though, but I like the idea!
Maybe Knights and DA could get some sort of emote where they send out a scout to find units and the scout or squire npc could return with a map or whisper the general location of the remaining units? I don't know if that's possible either.

----------------------

Oh and thank you to Arman and all the awesome Magic mapmakers!!! I am directionally challenged and get lost really easily. You have made my transition back into the game much, much easier.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 30 Sep 2014 16:34

Anything is possible, of course. The current magic map technology is coded to place an asterix (or, in the Official Client, red X) on the part of a given map's "pixel" that is flagged as your current location. Entirely new and rather complex code would need to be created to do this for npcs - especially npcs of a given faction. For a gifted coder, this would not be all that hard, but would involve studying the tech in the magic map, and rolling your own adaptation of it for a new purpose. I don't have any interest in dedicating my own time to such an effort, but there is always the "wiz and code it yourself" option if you want to try.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 01 Oct 2014 13:57

Thanks Gorboth and everyone else.

Have to say I was really impressed with the functionality of the magic map when i returned from an extended sojourn. And after experiencing how useful it was as a returning player using the new (to me) client playing through the tutorial and Genesis region, and then Calia and Shire region, it really made the other domains that were mapless less enticing to visit.

So having been involved in the expansion of Krynn and the launch of Ansalon way back in the past I thought i would be best placed to expand this feature into the Dragonlance realms :). So I have, focusing on those areas i was most familiar with (i.e. the ones i coded) and then those areas that were more designed for younger characters. Flotsam, Kendermore, the forests between, Port Balifor, Palanthas, the Vingaard Mountains, western Solamnian plains, Vingaard Keep, Solace, New Ports, the Plains of Abanasinia, Tantallon, Darken Woods through to Haven, Xak Tsaroth, Kalaman, Estwilde and Iron Delving i've added maps for. Silvanesti and Qualinesti have also been mapped. Even Hull Nightstar's Golden Lion has been mapped... i didn't realise how many players actually got lost because of confusion with aft, fore, port and starboard ;).

There is still heaps to be done... and I add them as the mood takes me. Mind, happy to add based on popular usage and continuing immersion moving from the great new starting locations. So if anyone who uses the magic maps has a particular area in Krynn or Ansalon they'd like to see mapped feel free to post here :). I'm also happy to work with creative mortals on ascii maps for areas that you particularly like.

PS Bromen - Cool idea... although my coding skills are very rusty, and even in their prime I doubt I could incorporate what you are suggesting into the magic map code. I know just enough to be dangerous ;)

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 01 Oct 2014 21:06

Well, give 30 ideas and one will stick. lol

By all means, code dangerously. Got another issue I'd like to discuss that I can't post on these boards.

The enemy is watching.

Send me a tell!

-Bromen

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/