(Ab)usable features.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Booger
Veteran

Re: (Ab)usable features.

Post by Booger » 21 Mar 2011 22:08

Ok. Gorboth says he's ok with it. And Booger is still alive. I take that as an ok to continue. But first some replies:

Rhaegar: If they don't get used up, I'd say put it here for all to see. Though it's not exactly what I meant since it's usable only by one (some?) guild.

Cherek: Yes, there are tons of bugs, naturally. But most are minor, only need a report and can be taken care of eventually. Like a helmet that can't be worn. Report and forget, I'd say. The huge list of all bugs made, it exists already - It's the files where all bug reports are stored. What I'm talking about here are... see my examples in the top note, and at the bottom of this note. Not too many of those, and they don't have to be fixed faster. But while they exist, let everyone have a chance to enjoy them. Also, I have been a wizard and created an area. I was even wizard here on Genesis for about a week, before Mecien deleted me. But I'm a player in heart and mind. I'll be happy to help out, but not as a wizard.

Laurel: Even me, apparently :-)

Gorboth: I wouldn't dream of posting eg a save-bug (like the one I described) here. Or, as another mud had, the possibility of "drop -100000 gold coins". Those things should always be reported and kept silent about. At least until fixed. And no, I haven't found anything that nasty here, and wouldn't let you overlook them if I found one.

So finally, features revealed:

* Another nice source of xp for lowbies:
Yes, it's the goats behind the monastery. They do have fighting skills, mind you. Just very low, making them a nice source of xp for wanderer/adventurer. But I'm a monk too now, so I will HUNT DOWN AND KILL ANYONE WHO DARES... Ehrmmm... I will tell anyone who kills them to stop, or I will make a very... somewhat annoyed face at them... maybe.

* Possibility to reuse herbs:
When you eat a herb it stays in your inventory for half a second or so, before it destructs. So it's possible to drop the herb or give it away, _after_ eating it. It will still get destroyed, though. But: You can sell the herb after eating it, getting half the value of the herb back. And if sold, the herb will not be lost - you can buy it back. A Wilcol I got from (Trutbl)Emma probably saved my life. I had only one, and had to eat it 3 times before it cured my plague. Unfortunally I accidentally sold it in Sparkle general shop before I could return the herb to her (another minor bug - that herb can be sold in normal shops).

* Possibility to remember any player:
In Sparkle Museum, bottom level, is a theatre where you can watch plays written by others. You can also write your own play (this is said to give quest-xp!). If you write your own play, you get to name your actors, and during the play, they can be told to introduce themselves. So write your own play, name your actors and have them introduce. Then preview your play (you don't have to actually submit it) and you'll have their names. I knew you, Rhynox, even before I ever met you.
EDIT: Fixed now. You can't use actors with the same name as a player.

* Possibility to lower your carry-weight:
Water bottles: Can be filled with liquid and can be drunk from. When you pick it up, its weight will be added to the total weight of your carried items. When dropped, its weight will be removed from the total weight of your carried items. All ok sofar. But: If it changes weight when carried (by being filled or drunk from), no update is made.
So if you pick up an empty bottle weighing 1 kg, fill it with water until it weighs 3 kg and then drop it, you will be able to carry 2 kg more. If someone else takes that 3 kg bottle and drinks from/empties it, then drops it, he will be able to carry 2 kg less. Effect is lost when you quit. So fill up every bottle you see, and you will get stronger and stronger. Or take one bottle, fill it up, give to a friend who empties it and gives it back to you... repeat and you will be able to carry more and more untill your friend is so weak he can no longer carry the bottle. But by quitting and returning he will be restored. Note: You won't become stronger. It's more like you're adding hot-air balloons to your backpack.
Apart from just being able to carry more loot, this can be useful for being able to walk in full armour without losing movement points, or to enter that new dungeon with amulet of diminution, and wear a full set of equipment. Anyone found something that looks cool but is just way too heavy to pick up? Maybe this can help?
EDIT: Fixed. Some bottles can no longer be used for this, and after Armageddon, no bottles should be possible to abuse like this.

Enjoy while it lasts. I'll add more things if I run into them.

Ps: If any wizard reads this and fixes/destroys any of these features, how about adding a note here, saying it's been taken care of? Perhaps even edit this note and add a small "Fixed! /<name>" line?
Last edited by Booger on 25 Mar 2011 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Mar 2011 00:10

Booger wrote: Rhaegar: If they don't get used up, I'd say put it here for all to see. Though it's not exactly what I meant since it's usable only by one (some?) guild.
I know guilds this works for (at least two) and some it doesn't work for at all.
Only in one guild I've noticed the components not being sacrificed when spellcasting (didn't check it in the other guild, in one guild it might destroy the components and I could've just been lucky enough to run around with just 1 component, spamming my spells happily for 2 weeks and not getting to sacrifice it).
It only works with specific container though, at least as far as I know.

I really wouldn't like to go into the specifics here without an OK from G or someone else higher up, as I don't know if it's intended container/component behaviour for certain guilds (which would be revealing some secret guild info) or if it's some kind of a bug either in the container code or in the spell code.
There's been some changes to herbs, leftovers and containers over the past year or two. Perhaps that's what's causing this odd behaviour but, like I said, I can only guess at this point.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 22 Mar 2011 09:33

edit: moved to flames, as requested
Last edited by Laurel on 22 Mar 2011 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 22 Mar 2011 15:48

Said the most active person around...
The fact that I wasn't around for the past month or so (exams at uni and shitstorm irl) doesn't mean I don't get time periods when I'm active on Gen every day for a couple of weeks.
You can take personal stuff like that to the flames section of the forum.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 23 Mar 2011 06:48

Booger wrote:Ps: If any wizard reads this and fixes/destroys any of these features, how about adding a note here, saying it's been taken care of? Perhaps even edit this note and add a small "Fixed! /<name>" line?
The introduce bug in the museum and the weight issue with the water bottles should be taken care of, with some effects immediate, while others will be in effect in the next Armageddon.

If you continue to see these issues after the next Armageddon, please drop me a note. Thanks Booger for bringing these to our attention.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Mar 2011 11:11

Cherek wrote:Will listing all bugs and problems with the game in public make people them fix it faster? I am sceptical if it will do anything good. But maybe...
See? :)

Thank you, Petros. I hope you won't mind me secretly cursing you to eternal damnation in Hell? I really loved those few extra kilos of carry capacity.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 23 Mar 2011 13:55

Booger wrote:Thank you, Petros. I hope you won't mind me secretly cursing you to eternal damnation in Hell? I really loved those few extra kilos of carry capacity.
rather find a feature to skip the volume problem of items :twisted:

on the other hand I kind of liked how some people found out how to greatly increase their stats with a stat-cloud ... and then another; this is similar to how you, Booger, explore all those features as you name them
I kind of envy you, cause I personally was never good at finding bugs that could be exploited :cry:

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 23 Mar 2011 14:03

I wanna find a quest bug, and just spam it ! :D
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 23 Mar 2011 14:04

Hi

Question about bottle mechanics:
Scenario:
1. buy bottle of 3 kg
2. drink all from bottle
3. drop bottle of 1 kg

Will I be 2kg heavier ?

Zar

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 23 Mar 2011 15:20

zar wrote:Will I be 2kg heavier ?
Yes. Or rather, you will be _carrying_ an extra 2 kg of invisible weight. But apparently not for much longer, since Petros has fixed the problem.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/