PvP

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zar
Hero

Re: PvP

Post by Zar » 28 Mar 2011 08:21

Cherek wrote:I like Makfly's idea as well.

That sounds alot more like a system that rewards rather than punishes.
I like idea too
The game must be fun and not discouraging.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 28 Mar 2011 14:11

I fear that the reward is for PvP killing and NOT PvP fighting.
The most efficient way to kill in PvP (not only in genesis) is ganking.
Ganking is where all the problems with PvP come from.

Maybe I am too pesimistic but it seems like ganker paradise.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 28 Mar 2011 21:13

Makfly's proposal is a fun one. I agree that it could be abused and that we'd have to put some thought into that if we were to implement it. Some of my favorite aspects of this idea revolve around the general exp value for the kill being boosted in proportion to the number of PVP kills that this player has perpetrated, making it something of a double-bounty. Very interesting! I also like how this could facilitate the recovery of the lost experience if the one to kill the person was the one they had previously killed. All very fascinating stuff ...

This would require building a somewhat robust tracking system for quite a few things, which would then perhaps give us some functionality in other directions if we wanted to head that way. Hmmm ... worth thinking about.

It hasn't been mentioned much (if at all?) in this thread, but one of the main arguments for a high death penalty is because it increases the value of certain aspects of roleplay. When you roleplay, the stakes are increased for your choices in relation to others. Anger people, and they might come after you. If them killing you only took one fanta from you, you would probably not mind so much, and would be more inclined to not care if you angered them. By making the penalty for death meaningful, we give the game world a sense of real consequences for your roleplay choices.

It is for this reason that I will not lower the death penalty in the forseeable future.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 28 Mar 2011 22:02

now ... about the banking of components?

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 28 Mar 2011 22:27

Laurel wrote:now ... about the banking of components?

Last time I tried to deposit my weed in a bank they threw me out......Seriously, what kind of bank are you thinking of? You have too many herbs, leave them in your guild for others. Or rangers don't help each others?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 28 Mar 2011 22:31

until a few weeks ago "active Rangers" was an oxymoron - but of course feel free to join me on the sarcastic side

besides - if Laurel wasn't a Ranger, would she have more rights to ask the wizards to bank her components/herbs/etc. for longer periods? it's not like I didn't have to invest my time into getting them ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Mar 2011 00:33

Gorboth: It does not work the way you describe though, since its more or less not possible to kill anyone unless you are a mage, the roleplay aspects as you describe are not present in the game today. You can act like a total moron if you want against me, its not like I will be able to kill you anyway unless I happen to hide with a huge team on a ship or something... but in all honesty, the chances of actually killing someone for a "normal" player are very small. For the threat of an attack to be a threat, there has to be a real danger. And there is not much danger. The only guild people are still afraid of are the mages because they are the only ones who have a real power to kill someone. The rest of us... we're pretty toothless.

So no, it does not work the way you describe, for that to work we would need system where more than one guild can kill people, preferably all guilds, or atleast factions, should have some type of PVP ability that actually is dangerous.

But even if we did lower the death penalty I seriously doubt people would suddenly stop caring about RP just because the penalty was lower. Losing a fanta is still not something you want to do, neither do you wanna lose your equipment, and most people really dont wanna get a reputation as the one who gets killed all the time either. The humiliation factor should not be forgotten.

And either way I dont think the alternative with non-existant PVP like we have today is better...

Rewards is a nice idea, but if the reward is small and the potential loss is great, it is still not going to work is my guess. So if we are going to have a pretty large penalty for losing in the PVP-game we need a really big reward too... and somehow it seems easier to lower the penalty and have a smaller reward than scale up the rewards to huge sizes.

Anyway, what is your ideas Gorboth? How should we get an active PVP and guild politics system? And is that what you as a keeper want? Genesis is now more of a co-op game, is that they way you see Genesis in the future? Or do you see it more similar to what we had a bunch of years back with conflicts and PVP in the game?

There is absolutely nothing today that shows that we ever again will have real PVP in Genesis. So I am thinking if there is going to be PVP something needs to be changed about the game to make it happen. To make it FUN, because thats really the core of all games. Fun. Not fear. Fear of losing might be part of "fun", but in the long run, a player wants rewards for playing. Not fear of losing what they have gained, and eventually doing so.

Anyway, why not try it during an event or something? Death has won the lottery and is suddenly in a really good mood and decided to lower the death penalty for a week. Just because he's feeling real generous. Or Death is on vacation... or something. Many players apparently seem to think its a good idea? Why not try it? Isnt this a time for trying things?:) You usually say that about other things... How can you be so certain this is a bad idea?

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 29 Mar 2011 07:41

Wow!!!
Fun idea: Death is on vacation.

Lets say random event - 5min/30min/1hour death protection.
Just to help people try something stupid.
Of course not planned/random (not triggered by players or wizards).

You die as regular, but arrive to death room - noone is around.
Lars comes and tells: Just sneak out.
Sneak out -> Sparkle church

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Mar 2011 21:05

Actually, I've always intended to do this at some point - partially as a way to see how players would adapt to such an extreme. It would be fascinating. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 29 Mar 2011 21:57

If you do this I'm totally going for the ancient sea dragon :D

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/