Assisting in Darkness

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Lindros

Re: Assisting in Darkness

Post by Lindros » 11 Mar 2010 19:42

I am curious, why should we bend the rules?

If you cannot see, then you cannot assist someone.

I think wearing/removing full sets of equipment in darkness is also something that should be changed,
cause it doesnt make sense.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 19:50

Well ignored... All those points to the contrary that is.
Also its a "new" rule so questioning the motivation of the change would seem like a valid thing to do no?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 11 Mar 2010 19:51

Lindros wrote:I am curious, why should we bend the rules?

If you cannot see, then you cannot assist someone.

I think wearing/removing full sets of equipment in darkness is also something that should be changed,
cause it doesnt make sense.
Never got dressed in the middle of the night with the lights off? :-P

Haradir
Novice

Post by Haradir » 11 Mar 2010 20:00

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Okay Aeg lets you and me pick someone and go to your basement.
I choose this guy as my team mate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Q-jZ7fuws

As someone who studies Wing Chun Kung Fu (the martial art shown in the video), I can say that fighting blindfolded is much harder than it looks and is pretty limited. If you don't already have contact with a person's arms or body, you're not very likely to be able to hit much (or, stop yourself from hitting a friend).

In terms of game mechanics, I think it should be difficult to fight in the dark. People should make mistakes when attacking in the dark, and should fumble when they try to put on armours, wield weapons, etc. Ultimately, high blind-fighting skill, infravision, etc should actually mean something and give an advantage.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 11 Mar 2010 21:41

They already do mean something as some if not all special attacks are affected by fighting in darkness if you cannot see or not highly skilled in blindfighting. I don't think that you should be able to 'kill red-eyed goblin' when you can't see that they don't have red eyes, but I think you should be able to assist your teammate if they are already in combat. Granted the combat won't be that effective anyway, but at least there is a chance to defend yourself.

Earth has been in combat before that even with 5 lamps and herald robe spell, the light wasn't enough to combat the darkness being generated. Since he and his team were also trapped at the time, we couldn't even assist/rescue etc each other. Against a larger player with darkness, that would be a death sentence.

Lindros

Post by Lindros » 11 Mar 2010 21:46

Earth wrote:They already do mean something as some if not all special attacks are affected by fighting in darkness if you cannot see or not highly skilled in blindfighting. I don't think that you should be able to 'kill red-eyed goblin' when you can't see that they don't have red eyes, but I think you should be able to assist your teammate if they are already in combat. Granted the combat won't be that effective anyway, but at least there is a chance to defend yourself.

Earth has been in combat before that even with 5 lamps and herald robe spell, the light wasn't enough to combat the darkness being generated. Since he and his team were also trapped at the time, we couldn't even assist/rescue etc each other. Against a larger player with darkness, that would be a death sentence.

Did you die?

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 11 Mar 2010 21:50

No, but only because of a certain ability of a certain layman guild. ;)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 11 Mar 2010 22:18

Earth wrote:No, but only because of a certain ability of a certain layman guild. ;)
You were lucky, that they did not use certain item to counter certain ability of a certain layman guild. :lol:
Last edited by Sharn on 11 Mar 2010 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 11 Mar 2010 22:21

I think I know the situation and that was at a time of particular imbalance with a new darkness item which was eventually removed.

So that is not possible to happen anymore. It also was before changes to darkness, I believe.

Windemere

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 11 Mar 2010 22:49

sharn wrote:
Earth wrote:No, but only because of a certain ability of a certain layman guild. ;)
You were lucky, that they did not use certain item to counter certain ability of a certain layman guild. :lol:
Well, it is pretty hard to get that certain item to counter that certain ability of a certain layman guild because it only appears at a certain time in a certain location and usually certain players hoard it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/