Pre-Promotion News

Here, look for all manner of scoops, commentary, and general nonsense from the Keeper himself.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: Pre-Promotion (part 5)

Post by Kitriana » 10 May 2011 03:38

wolverine wrote:Im not sure if RL posters is the proper advertisement for Genesis, but if you like to try it, go ahead.. Try Facebook ads or something similar, where its paid for clicks and visits.. The people that find Genesis have some sort of Tolkien/Fantasy interests and are often found "Online".. Staying In - Is The New Going Out.. attract online users first..

Make some adds where you recruit wizards aswell..
makfly wrote:All in all, it's very nice to finally hear some concrete words on it. I still miss some kind of deadline, estimate of when things will kick into action.

There was one thing, though, that I really do not think is a good idea.
Using funds to create a large, physical, color poster as part of the promotion. I think this is a waste of money, considering that the funds will most likely be fairly limited. First of all, it's very expensive to create, and print. Then you need to ship a number of them ALL over the world to distribute the posters to the players. It is all very costly for something that could be done more easily, and with almost as big an effect.
Create a PDF A4 poster* if you will, put it up on the website. Let players themselves get those printed in their local area, and then hang those up.
This could significantly reduce the funds needed, and you will avoid waste by having printed too many, having send posters to places, where they won't get hung up anyways etc.

Personally I think with limited funds, Genesis should focus on a digital promotion campaign, spend the money where you can reach the most potential players.

*Also make a PDF of a A4 with bookmarks. Players can then download and print this, cut them out and sneak them into books in the local library/book shops. This was suggested quite some time ago, but it still a good idea, I think...
I don't think Gorboth was suggesting the funds go to actually printing them out. The funds would go to the artwork to CREATE the poster. Then we'd have to print these out on paper on our own and go canvas key locals. (Gorboth please confirm).

I actually love the idea of the posters.. And as someone living right next to NYC -- I have at least 10 universities whose campus I could canvas with posters. To me.. this is one of the prime spots to target as many of us started playing Genesis while we were in college... and this is an audience who likely have limited resources to play "pay for play" games.. but have a lot more time on their hands than many of us now. I think if you have a PDF link of the poster and I can print out a ton of them.. I'd definately go crazy here.

Just off the top of my head : NYU, Columbia, Montclair, Rutgers, Farleigh Dickson, Cooper Union, Baruch, Fordham, Princeton, Hunter

Not to mention spots like... gaming stores. My options are really endless. I really can't imagine not picking up at least 50 people from just the above spots.

I also really like the idea of the bookmarks. I think that would be a really cool idea. You could go to public libraries, university libraries, book stores. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Not say that we shouldn't do an online campaign as well. Can we make a list of all the mudlisting websites? Make sure that the info for Genesis is accurate on those sites and up to date. Make a page listing vote for Genesis link. Lets also make a list of places we want to promote other than mudlisting sites. We should compile now. Can someone volunteer to pull this info together? Someone please speak up.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Gub
Adventurer

Re: Pre-Promotion News

Post by Gub » 10 May 2011 04:59

I actually think Kitriana's method of recruiting (posters for campus, libraries, bookstores, etc) is extremely powerful and much harder for us to take advantage of. If she is willing to put in the time and effort to put up the posters and possibly meet new Genies, more power to her! I'm going to venture a guess and say a lot of us aren't that outgoing. I think she has the potential to reach a lot of people.

On a side note Kit, I've always thought organizing Genesis LAN parties at the local comic & hobby store would be extremely effective too. Maybe your posters could include a meeting place and time for first-timers to create new characters together. I don't have the personality for this, but I think it could be great if you were willing to do it! If not.. well I completely understand.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 10 May 2011 05:16

Based on conversations with Gorboth -- he was going to have one of those "tear off" things at the bottom with the address info (similar to apartment rental or tutoring).. so people could easily walk away with the info needed to log in.

I'm sure we could do some kind of "character creation" party. I'd need some major suggestions on gaming stores/hobby shops to check out to do this though... as I'm really not familiar with this. I know Gorboth really wanted to have a "key weekend" where everyone would be around to answer questions for newbies when the promotion started. Clearly I wouldn't be able to canvas ALL of those locations in one weekend.. especially since I'm limited to one day on the weekends (Sunday) to do it. But I could definately hit up several locals each weekend. Hell.. I'd even drag some of the posters with me to Hong Kong on one of my business trips and post them here at a local university. Anyone able to translate to Chinese???

Even if you're not "outgoing".. doesn't mean you could print 20 8*11 sized posters and tape them up somewhere you think would draw people. Local pub you hang out at? Local Pizza store you love? Coffee Shop Hangout? Even if you get 1 person for every poster... I think thats a success. Post 20 posters... 20 people. Multiply that by 50 current Gen players --- ummm thats a lot of new players!!! I'm not even sure Geneis could handle an influx of that many new players.... Just think of the possiblities!!!!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 10 May 2011 07:22

If it's up to players themselves to print the posters, and it doesn't cost a fortune to create the actual posters, then I'm fine with that. But that was not how I read Gorboths post, though.

In relation to holding "newbie parties" or "character creation sessions", how about saying that when the promotion campaign starts, the first and last sunday of the month from 1 to 6 CET* will be prime time for newbies. The game will make this an exceptionally good time to log in / start out:
  • by having experienced players available on ntell & forum
  • by having experienced players being ready to log on to their own newbie character and help directly
  • by springing small events in and around Sparkle for newbies to participate in
  • by having guild ambassadors hanging out in Sparkle to tell potential candidates about their guild
Then the poster could hold have this printed on it, and the poster would be relevant for as long as it keeps going, instead of putting up a certain date for newbie parties on the posters/slips.

*adjust times as appropriate so they cover both sides of the atlantic reasonably well.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 10 May 2011 07:32

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Awesome stuff, guys!

Kitriana is describing exactly what I have envisioned with these posters. They are cheap to print out, and each person does that themselves. What costs money is the talent required to make the poster, which is what we are looking at fundraising for, among other things.

The suggestions about newbie helping focus times is just excellent!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 May 2011 09:15

Just ask Czucz in RL ... he's great at graphics ... if he's got the time to work on them.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 10 May 2011 11:13

If you're not already apart of the Facebook Group and would like to be -- its under Genesis - LP Mud.
There are a bunch of people on there who haven't played in awhile.. would be good to show them we're still alive and try to convince some of them to come back. Also -- if you know anyone on facebook who used to play Genesis -- try to invite them to that group as well! :)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 10 May 2011 15:38

what is Facebook? I fail to see a Gen-community on LinkedIn btw. ;)

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 10 May 2011 17:42

Kitriana wrote:If you're not already apart of the Facebook Group and would like to be -- its under Genesis - LP Mud.
There are a bunch of people on there who haven't played in awhile.. would be good to show them we're still alive and try to convince some of them to come back. Also -- if you know anyone on facebook who used to play Genesis -- try to invite them to that group as well! :)
I think the "Petros updated the group" email made quite a few people to check it out again ;P

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 May 2011 19:36

I just got off the phone with Denis Loubet. He is going to begin preliminary design work on the promotional poster concept. I'll provide more details as we get further down the road with it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/