Death penalty adjustment needed

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Bromen
Champion

Death penalty adjustment needed

Post by Bromen » 16 May 2011 21:07

So I was thinking about death, the penalty, and how it can be a bigger part of the game without it being the main reason for ex-players to stay away. After reading the facebook chatter about death, the sad fact is it takes too long for the casual gamer and even some of us regular players. Here are a few of my suggestions to make it easier to risk certain activities in gen and make the majority of the old and potentially new population happy campers.

1.) Make Death less of a stat loss and more of a skill loss.

Rp wise you'd have to retrain your body to learn the finer points of combat/magic skills that your previous body retained. It would make another money sink for those of use with HUGE bank accounts and it would help old players interact with new players by the lending of coin; which on another note would cause some people to play more to pay said person back. I'd say the loss of 10 skill levels and 10-15% of the current stat loss would be fair.

2.) Separate Player kill deaths and Player versus environment deaths.

The war system in Krynn is something that should be mimicked to some capacity in ME and perhaps shared in original content as well. These interactions between rival guilds should happen more frequently and victories should be celebrated throughout that realm. PvP deaths can have a loss other than stats. As stated above, let the loss be more skill oriented and let the loss compound with how frequently it occurs. Give the victor an ear or a notch somewhere to record the victory.

Another loss could be a negative title like the Dragon Order has with fighting dragons.

For PvE deaths, see #1.

3.) Leaving guilds should never result in death unless it is expressly accepted as part of the guild requirements.

The current imbuement system asks the person to repeat the command twice in order to complete said order. For RP heavy guilds (KoS, MM, SU, AA, and Rangers etc.) the person should know exactly what they're getting into and by repeating the command, it gives a certain accountability about the requirements and will reduce the current griefing by players about leaving guilds.

4.) Recovery imbuement.

Perhaps there can be an Anglestone or some imbuement that can be used to speed up recovery. The stone could work like this: The longer you play, the strength of the recovery increases. Just an idea.

Switching guilds should still result in full skill loss, but all stats should be retained. This would give casual players the chance to try different guilds without the pain of dying every time they want to try something new.

These suggestions are just ideas that would erase the pain of certain memories the old playerbase took with them. They are geared to helping the casual player enjoy the game without having to worry so much about dying and taking 3-6 months to recover. I never felt death should be about stat loss, but about loss of motor function and prestige. Some stat loss should occur, but even at its current state, it takes too long for new and casual players to feel like death and risks of adventure are too much to bear.

My other suggestions would be to give general xp for time teamed with other people, use of guild emotes while in the presence of other people, and the choice of weapon use when in an OCC guild.

I hope you hear me big wizards!!!

-Bromen

Uther
Great Adventurer

Re: Death penalty adjustment needed

Post by Uther » 16 May 2011 21:46

Sounds like you are on the way to change guilds Bromen.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 16 May 2011 23:12

Not for another 3 months or so. If the pvp death was changed, I might stay to dance with a few Knights on the field.

-B

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 17 May 2011 03:20

I think this goes along with what I posted in the PVP topic... the death penalty and the brute system just isn't practical for the casual player who maybe has an hour once every week to play Genesis.

As an aside - I think we've all said that for the most part the change in titles was a mistake but.. "cats out of the bag". Because people who focus on RP feel compelled to grow more in order to make their RP more believable. Where before.. even if you were a big champ vs a little champ.. most people didn't notice or care. I have to wonder.. is the "cat truly out of the bag"? With the low playerbase.. you could technically put it all back in the bag... and people who knew would know.. but people returning wouldn't remember their size.. and new people surely wouldn't know.

But in the meantime - I think we should consider some of the ideas above as possiblities... or if someone else has some additional ideas?

Kit's player
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 May 2011 09:00

a hell of a NO for more cash grinding ... I HATE IT! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Titan

Post by Avatar » 17 May 2011 10:25

The biggest mistakes ever made by the admin in Genesis were the stat change, which was the main reason for me stopping to play religiously, and the change of mortal levels.

After they changed the mortal levels, everyone were, more or less, forced into a grinding frenzy. I know it is said that it's to late to reverse it, but I disagree.

We're trying to lure new players into the game. Why not let them start playing on better terms than we're playing at right now? Why not let them have the old system, where Champion was the max level.

No one knew how big you were, when you hit champion. It encouraged more player fighting, as people thought they were all badasses once they hit champion etc.

Just saying.

Not to late.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 17 May 2011 14:01

avatar wrote:The biggest mistakes ever made by the admin in Genesis were the stat change, which was the main reason for me stopping to play religiously, and the change of mortal levels.

After they changed the mortal levels, everyone were, more or less, forced into a grinding frenzy. I know it is said that it's to late to reverse it, but I disagree.

We're trying to lure new players into the game. Why not let them start playing on better terms than we're playing at right now? Why not let them have the old system, where Champion was the max level.

No one knew how big you were, when you hit champion. It encouraged more player fighting, as people thought they were all badasses once they hit champion etc.

Just saying.

Not to late.
I agree!

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 17 May 2011 15:04

Numbers aren't allowed so I won't do that, but I know the numbers required to be champ in the old days.
Basically everyone was a champ back then, or working on becoming champ. Myth is in a completely different league than that.

It was nice to meet someone and not know exactly what their strengths were, but the XP required for champ was way too low. If you want to go back to novice, greenhorne, beginner, apprentice, wanderer, adventurer, great adventurer, veteran, champion, you'd have to alter the XP anyways. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Everyone would be considered champions or lowbies.
It's the same problem they have in MMORPGs. Either you are max level, or you are nothing.
I dislike that champion isn't the highest titel because I "grew up" with champion as being the target to aim for, but I also dislike a level system that doesn't make sense. And the low req for the old champion makes the whole level system senseless.

The fun thing is that it was usually the PK bunch that loved that people couldn't see how big they were. And they loved that they could excuse a kill by saying "he was a champion". A myth PK'er today can have a bit more of a problem if he/she just kills someone that is much lower than themselves because they now know how big a size difference there is :P

Titan

Post by Avatar » 17 May 2011 15:09

Well, I never were a PK kinda guy.

Have been in very few battles during my time in the game. Initiated about 3 or so. I still want the old system back.

I agree that the requirement for Champion should be raised, but nowhere near the one required for Myth though.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 May 2011 15:10

Calador wrote:It's the same problem they have in MMORPGs. Either you are max level, or you are nothing.
I don't think Gen's there - I quite enjoy teams with smaller chars (as long they can survive, of course - rising hero+ would be the level for usual fights and adept would be the level to roam around for fun with) and they usually also "deliver" what's expected of them in combat

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/