NPC's being members of layman guilds

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Wolverine
Adventurer

NPC's being members of layman guilds

Post by Wolverine » 27 May 2011 12:25

It would be fun if some npc's in the world could be loaded with a randomized layman guild and get its benefits. Just to get a variety of ways to battle them, maybe some big orcs or troll NPC's could be layman Angmar, as long as it fits the theme. Like Arlenn or Kernan sometimes wake up as Blademasters :evil:

Laurel

Re: NPC's being members of layman guilds

Post by Laurel » 27 May 2011 12:40

wolverine wrote:Like Arlenn or Kernan sometimes wake up as Blademasters :evil:
they do? I seem to not kill them often enough ...

Wolverine
Adventurer

Post by Wolverine » 27 May 2011 12:50

I just want to see some variety and it would be fun to meet Shale if he was a Shieldbearer..

Just a change for some better competition, right now, when you get to a certain size you can take out most mobs in the game, except Barash, Yeti etc.
Would be fun if npc's loaded with layman guilds or some other variety, maybe even randomized stats.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 27 May 2011 13:34

how about Ranger sentinels randomly having 10links in BMs or being militia (when with polearms)? ;)

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 27 May 2011 17:43

Laurel wrote:how about Ranger sentinels randomly having 10links in BMs or being militia (when with polearms)? ;)
They die the same anyway, screaming :lol:

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 27 May 2011 19:32

wolverine wrote:It would be fun if some npc's in the world could be loaded with a randomized layman guild and get its benefits. Just to get a variety of ways to battle them, [...] Just a change for some better competition [...]
I couldn't agree more that one of the big draw backs of grinding is the routine, and the game would be more fun if NPCs occasionally surprise and possibly defeat us. I think a lot of this could be done with tweaks to imbuement effects for NPCs, although I am also in favor of the occasional NPC or room of NPCs with extra tricks, or even the rare Armageddon cycle where a whole class of NPCs fight somewhat differently. It doesn't need to be all stats and specials, simply walking in on three times the usual mob once in a blue moon could be exciting.

I do wonder about how the politics of various occasional layman memberships would play out.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 08 Jun 2011 20:35

Interesting.

Stunties on the plains are shieldbearers.
I don't think they should get player layman guilds, but agree with the imbuement idea.

I also think more of then should hunt and flee as well as try to block you.
Not talking about turning every npc in Ashbuz savage hunting, but maybe a few rooms then return to home.
I enjoy blocking the few that do flee from you, good practice.

If more of them were like orcs in MM, gatekeepers in Minas Tirith, Isengard npcs, Ogres in Avenir etc
It would keep you on your toes more and discourage simple scripting behaviour.
ie Kill6 trolls, move west, kill6 trolls

Granted it would suck if that meant Mithas, Icewall, Qualinost, Harradrim, Terel Trolls etc ungrindable if they were before.
So it would need to be able to be manipulated to an extent.
Like 3 elves flee into the next room, making it too hard to tank all of them next door, but if you wait a minute they return and you can block that exit and try again.
Not to make them ungrindable, but that you have to pay more attention to do so.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 08 Jun 2011 21:09

Please do not make any more npc's like orcs around MM. The move behind is a pain in the f***ing ass, and then they start wimpying. Its just very obnoxious.

However I think the idea of NPC's randomly spawning with a laymen special is a good idea. However like Tarax said some NPC's might be to hard. I struggle with NPC's that I see other people taking out feeling very well. I can't imagine some of the larger ones who are already extremely hard becoming even worse.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 09 Jun 2011 06:38

Zestana wrote:Please do not make any more npc's like orcs around MM. The move behind is a pain in the f***ing ass, and then they start wimpying. Its just very obnoxious.
Is it natural for an enemy who is losing a fight to just stand there and take it until dead? I always thought fleeing npcs were much more fun.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 09 Jun 2011 08:16

I would love to see NPCs wimpy. We would have to start using tactics to kill them.
First find a good place for an ambush (one exit room) then pull the NPC there and wait with blocking the exit until the last second or the block might not work long enough. If that fails and the NPC start running away we would have to wait for the NPC to heal a bit or just hunt the good old fashion way.
It would make things more interesting. I also have wondered why NPCs in the near by rooms don't come to assist their friends when they hear combat.

edit: Sorry about the hijack. Won't happen again. :)
Last edited by Arcon on 09 Jun 2011 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/