How to make Genesis appeal to the more Causal Player

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Windemere
Expert

How to make Genesis appeal to the more Causal Player

Post by Windemere » 11 Mar 2010 23:14

How can Genesis be a Mud where if you only have 30 minutes to an Hour you can still enjoy yourself and feel as though you have accomplished something?

I really don't know. Let's see if anyone else has any ideas, but I think it is very important. Sometimes I don't have 3 hours to play, so I log in, look at a board or two, and log out feeling very dissatisfied with my time.

What thinks you?

Windemere

Gub
Adventurer

Re: How to make Genesis appeal to the more Causal Player

Post by Gub » 11 Mar 2010 23:20

:EDIT: Yeah in retrospect this was a poor answer. It assumes that the your goal is to kill something. It also does not take into consideration the improvements in travel. I'll come back to this.

Gub
Last edited by Gub on 11 Mar 2010 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 11 Mar 2010 23:29

I think it also boils down to what each of us feels fills out "satisfaction quota" for logging in.

There are times when I will log in... kill a bunch of dark elves -- grab one or two pieces of equipment that I know is useful... and that is enough for me. or.. I could log in ... find some people in the guildhall and spend my 30min to 1hour RPing a bit.

If you're looking to go on an "adventure" of astronomic proportions.. like killing in mithas... I'm gonna guess you won't be able to do that in 1 hour's time.. nor should you be able to.

Just like different things appeal to each of us that spend lots of time in the game.. same goes for the casual player.

Some of those who stay in the game for hours on end like to do some of the following:
grinding to level up
questing
stalking after other players to get the latest kill log
Rping with others
exploring and discovering the beautiful nuances the game has to offer
equipping

So the question is... what does the casual player expect to accomplish? And what does that player have to accept in terms of differential to those who spend endless hours in the game?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 12 Mar 2010 01:02

being someone completely under the casual category, I had a conversation with a particular wizard who asked me how I felt the game was going.

Simple. It's boring.

If the Cents aren't up, I don't bother staying on. I mentioned how the game needed more random excitement (orcs attacking sparkle, keep raids, kroug raids, etc.) and have the event posted so people can log on an join at the correct time. I like how it'll cause us to interact and really include some RP into our time on. As of now, whenever the krougs come or whenever the keep is raided, it's not broadcast to everyone to come help. I feel this is a shame as and new casual player would love to be a part of a big battle like that.

-b

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 12 Mar 2010 11:49

Must... get ... skulls...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 12 Mar 2010 15:21

This is a pretty big issue and very important, lots of us have less time and if we do not feel like we can do anything worthwhile in 30mins to and hour in Gen it may stop us from logging on at all..
For me its feast or famine still, logging on for a couple of hours minimum.

But I have had that stagnant feeling before even tho I would be willing to play for an hour or two not really being able to see the point.

I know those are two separate issues.
The topic is huge and hard to know where to start, but looking back to review what came out of the last forum is a good start...

Edit - created topics for looking back and reviewing.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/