(Ab)usable features.

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: (Ab)usable features.

Post by Cherek » 08 Apr 2011 01:23

Dont blame Booger. Blame whoever coded it!

We should not have to be afraid the game will break if we test things. I say keep testing, you have discovered alot of bugs that got fixed it seems, guess we can live with the small risk of a crash. How many times have you tested something and how many times have the game crashed?

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 08 Apr 2011 02:45

Cherek wrote: How many times have you tested something and how many times have the game crashed?

8.7 times

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 08 Apr 2011 23:58

Earth wrote:
strider wrote:a) "always assist faction", b) "flee and stay gone", or c) "flee en masse to assistance". Admittedly, b and c pose their own issues.
Yeah...c) would be interesting.

Remember that scene from the third Matrix movie when Neo was fighting all those agent Smith clones on that basketball court until he had to flee by flying away? Would be interesting to see here in Genesis. The longer you stay the more creatures arrive. Eventually, they will probably wear you down...
Yes, although I think it would have to be limited to assistance from those normally nearby.

I believe I recall something about a place in the donut where a specific action would always result in a reasonably large and tough NPC being spawned, which inevitably drew a party sufficiently powerful that it could basically sit under that XP spigot with virtually no pause, until armors were beat into body paint and weapons were ground to nubs, then make quick a replenishment run and douse themselves again, causing such an outflow of XP that the wizards soon instituted a rationing program.

Still, there is something about the idea of the habit of casually smacking a Sparkle rat resulting in a pitched battle against an onrushing tide of rodents, that makes me chuckle.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 09 Apr 2011 00:24

There used to be a funny bug. You asked someone something, anything, and then spammed the space bar for a while, then you wrote something like "The holy crystal axe breaks!" or something and the person you asked would see you asking him something and then in another line he would see "The holy crystal axe breaks!".
I don't know if this bug still exist or not, but its a funny one. You can make people think anything.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 09 Apr 2011 00:36

arcon wrote:There used to be a funny bug. You asked someone something, anything, and then spammed the space bar for a while, then you wrote something like "The holy crystal axe breaks!" or something and the person you asked would see you asking him something and then in another line he would see "The holy crystal axe breaks!".
I don't know if this bug still exist or not, but its a funny one. You can make people think anything.
its been gone for a long time... used to work with whispering too... which was great because the person would see it.. but not everyone else in the room.
So you could really play with people's minds.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 11 Apr 2011 09:24

Don't know if this works for everyone, might depend on the viewer's ingame options for handling long texts. And definitely depends on their screen size (>140 letters per row will mess things up), but you can write things in big letters, or even make ascii art drawings by saying something long and split it up with a space every 70 or so letter. Can be useful if you want to wake up someone who you know is there but seems sleepy:

Code: Select all

You say:
 .####.....####....##########....####..........####..........######.....
 .####.....####....##########....####..........####........##########...
 .####.....####....####..........####..........####.......####....####..
 .####.....####....####..........####..........####......####......####.
 .#############....#########.....####..........####......####......####.
 .#############....#########.....####..........####......####......####.
 .####.....####....####..........####..........####......####......####.
 .####.....####....####..........####..........####.......####....####..
 .####.....####....##########....##########....##########..##########...
 .####.....####....##########....##########....##########....######.....
Fooling around a bit with this, I found a new bug that might crash the game - I did crash another mud the same way, at least. But since I know about the possibility, and you people don't seem too happy about crashes, I've just reported it and left it to the ones in charge to test it. Or to at least fix the bug.

Anyway, some of you might see crash bugs as something you can use only to mess up for everyone. But crash bugs can be a very profitable business indeed! The reason for this is that when a game crashes, normally the players aren't saved, so when you get back, you will have the same status as you had last time you saved.
So what you (don't) do is this: Have 2 friends, A & B, standing in a save-room with you. Everyone gives you all their money and any good equipment they have. You type "save" and get saved carrying everything. Then you hand over everything to A, who types "save" and hands everything over to B, who also types "save" as soon as he's gotten the stuff. And then you crash the game.
When you return, you will each have the set of items and the money (so everything's been tripled).
The more people the merrier. I've actually seen it done with 10+ people on a mud neglected by immortals. Any new player entering the game were then given a "newbie pack" containing the best gear and money enough to last them forever.
What you should do is, of course, to report it to the immortals so they can fix it.

Finally: 3 or 4 more endless-money bugs found. Same kind as the one found before. More details once they've been fixed.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 21 Apr 2011 10:25

Since the latest features are still available, I couldn't help myself - had to test it.
Gained 30 pc in 5 seconds. = 350pc/minute.
So whenever fixed, give me a tell and I'll hand over my profit. Should be approx 40 pc total now.
And if I may keep half as a reward, would you mind giving me another hour of "testing" first? ;)

Ps: I know Lavellan is working hard to catch up on the logs, so he'll get to it eventually. Just recently he fixed a monk-bug that has bothered me for a week or two (only affected me and maybe Kiara, I believe)
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 01 May 2011 04:19

Another thing, though I don't know how (ab)usable this can be. But might be interesting anyway, for some possibilities, and to avoid some bad results.
Note, I am writing this as if these things are the truth. I may be wrong!

* Whenever you quit at a saving point, glowing items will be saved with you, and restored when you return. I guess everyone knows this.
* The chance for an item to be glowing is directly proportional to the uptime/totalExpectedUptime, so just after Armageddon it's about 0%, just before Armageddon, it's about 100%, and halfway between Armageddons, it's about 50%. Not too unexpected. Maybe you knew this.
* But did you know that whenever you return, all restored items get a new chance to glow? So if you quit with a glowing item and return back later, say halfway between Armageddons, the item has a 50% chance of still glowing. This is regardless of whether there was an Armageddon between your quit/return times or not.

Usable or not? Some effects of this:

* All items saved in saving racks are non-glowing after Armageddon.
* All items from npc:s killed for the first time are non-glowing (unless created later than right after Armageddon).
* Items kept on your person through Armageddon can still be glowing - chance is higher the longer you wait before going back in.
* If you need to quit for a while, and expect to be back before next Armageddon, your glowing items might still stop being glowing (so often better to put them in saving rack or similar, rather than quitting with the items on your person).
* Hypothetically, you could keep the same item for an endless time, entering and quitting again just before Armageddon (you won't be able to play with it, but if it's limited, you could keep it away from everyone else).
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 09 Jun 2011 23:44

Booger wrote:
Ilrahil wrote:You can still do this with at least one big npc, by piling corpses around that they then pick up.
Edited to add: You still have to be big enough to move corpses.
Ahh! I knew there'd be some creatures left that could be loaded up in some way.
Corpses range in weight from 3 grams to 105 kg (that I know of sofar), so it's just about finding the right bodies. And even at my level (Great adventurer) I can lift a corpse of 105 kg.
Check the corpse of the jabberwock in Cadu or the Deep Dragon for a new record I think
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 09 Jun 2011 23:48

Earth wrote:
strider wrote:a) "always assist faction", b) "flee and stay gone", or c) "flee en masse to assistance". Admittedly, b and c pose their own issues.
Yeah...c) would be interesting.

Remember that scene from the third Matrix movie when Neo was fighting all those agent Smith clones on that basketball court until he had to flee by flying away? Would be interesting to see here in Genesis. The longer you stay the more creatures arrive. Eventually, they will probably wear you down...
I get those kicks at the gates to Minas Tirith. :D
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/