"Protected Areas"

Discuss general game topics or anything else that doesn't fit in the other forums
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Re: "Protected Areas"

Post by Zestana » 27 Jun 2011 02:29

Anahita wrote:Slightly off-topic but I'd like to see Neraka be easier to get to - I expect a lot more people would use it for grinding and I'd love to see the consequences when they do.
I agree with this 100%. The wagons are extremely slow, and one cannot bypass using them as the Blue armies camp seems to be right smack in the middle of the road. As to consequences... I have yet to encounter priests but the two templars I have run into just walk in, kill trolls, move out.... after the third room they notice you finally and say only they can kill there and continue on. Very little interaction

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 27 Jun 2011 20:35

Davvol
It's not. I doesn't make any sense and is just plain stupid. Unbelievably stupid Goddes would get nowhere and would never pose any serious threat. Like- train/feed/pay for the upkeep/equip your own troops, so they can be slaughtered by your other troops by thousands, over and over and still keep those troops in order, without mutiny... I just cannot put in words how ridiculous is that.

All of this instead of fighting your sworn enemies. With such an approach, there would be no Dragonarmies at all. Nor would they be able to conquer any lands, let alone keep Neraka. Such justification is... well, is not any sort of justification. It's just totally lame and pathetic role playing. Yet another aspect of what has been discussed on the boards as 'grinding being the only activity left on Genesis'. If something gives good XP, there is totally nothing that would stop players from grinding on it. No RP, lore, common sense. It's just numbers. MOOORE NUMBERS, another xxx progress made in a game hardly played by anyone.

You would wonder... why is that. If Genesis is to lure any players, its lore, roleplaying, atmosphere. Slaying everything that moves can be found in hundreds of other games, who are way superior to any MUD on that field.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 27 Jun 2011 20:44

Targun wrote: If something gives good XP, there is totally nothing that would stop players from grinding on it. No RP, lore, common sense. It's just numbers. MOOORE NUMBERS, another xxx progress made in a game hardly played by anyone.
If we would follow that path this is the future of Genesis: http://www.smbc-theater.com/?id=210

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 Jun 2011 23:05

Having an area that is time consuming = dangerous to get to is both a perk and a pain for the guilds there.
The reasons are clear, it makes it a dangerous area to escape from (unless you have a teleport/flying steed) which the goodies don't have much of. But attacking VK or the Spur is arguably more dangerous since you can get locked in.

I would suggest do the following to balance Neraka a little bit.
Make killing the trolls in Neraka trigger the town protectors being aggressive towards you kind of silly they don't already.
This oversight/feature currently lets people move between camps and to and from the town without worrying about dragon attacks.

If the town is aggressive towards you they also send word to Sanction and BDA guard attack on sight and don't allow you to pass through.
So if you want to go through Sanction you have to take the other wagon, but sanction is also dangerous as the town is aggressive against you too.

Make the wagons a little faster, like half the time?
Or make it possible to jump out of the wagon, sort of like the way you could jump off the griffon and land in Icewall.

According to the Genesis atlas there is nothing between Neraka and Flotsam.
But the wagon takes such a round about long ass time it is reasonable to assume it is going on roads that pass through other places.

So make it if you jump out you could end up in the war plains far south west of Kalaman, or in Icewall or Kurinost.
Icewall is a little bit of a detour sure.
But the gameplay factor is make it somewhat unpredictable where you end up if you jump out.
And possibly more dangerous to jump out than stay in the wagon being attacked.

For the Wagon to Sanction going out would put you somewhere on that road.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 27 Jun 2011 23:10

I would like to see more of the killing grounds like this.
"Speed" boat paths allow you to get from Kalaman to Mithas in 1 second. I don't think there is any fatigue associated with sailing either.
Icewall has it right, fatiguing to get too and from the Castle and dangerous area, puts your senses on edge to go there.
Qualinost could make the guards block exit as well as entry.
Terel trolls remove the check on Mentals and make the trolls block all players equally. Not unbreakable but difficult to get past.
Keep the giant troll as unbreakable for all.
I mean really, why should having high mentals determine your ability to get past a huge troll in a narrow cave.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 27 Jun 2011 23:13

Tarax the Terrible wrote:I would like to see more of the killing grounds like this.
I mean really, why should having high mentals determine your ability to get past a huge troll in a narrow cave.
Because you're smart enough to bring along a banana peel. :ugeek:

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 27 Jun 2011 23:31

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Terel trolls remove the check on Mentals and make the trolls block all players equally. Not unbreakable but difficult to get past.
From what I have witnessed wouldn't this make goblins even more superior than they already are?

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 00:09

Zestana wrote:
Tarax the Terrible wrote:Terel trolls remove the check on Mentals and make the trolls block all players equally. Not unbreakable but difficult to get past.
From what I have witnessed wouldn't this make goblins even more superior than they already are?
No not really, it would put the area on a more even level of danger for those who go there.
I like that areas are dangerous to keep you on your toes and more importantly discourage afk scripiting teams lead by a semi attentive leader.
Granted the rewards for having high mentals are not very obvious in the realms.
But the threat is most likely to come from other players than grinding.

Currently the threat of pvp attack is less there for very large players, goblins included, orges are the only ones very unlikely to reach those levels.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 28 Jun 2011 13:38

Just looking on map. I am trying to underand how can we have secret passage from Tantalon to Palanthas in only 30-40 rooms?

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 16:39

zar wrote:Just looking on map. I am trying to underand how can we have secret passage from Tantalon to Palanthas in only 30-40 rooms?
Magic. :D
That passage also goes to the mountain dwarves which can use to exit to the VK plains.
There is another option as well the griffon also flies from North Tantallon to the hills North of the Spur / South of Palanthas - the one that used to go to Icewall.
Jumping off it these days just takes you back to where you got on.
I guess the passenger Dragon from Solace to Vk was discontinued because it was a bronze dragon and the good dragons are mainly absent in this Timeline?
I used to like using the portal in Solace as a back route to Kabal through Faerie then Pelagir.
Funny the routes people took and how the shipline re-org changed things.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/