Wizards and domains.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Wizards and domains.

Post by Amberlee » 20 Jul 2011 20:00

One thing that has annoyed me a little.
Wizards(even arches) are rather good at saying that we contact the liege of said domain if we have any problems.
Thing is, its an archaic system that has no real effect except slowing down fixing things these days.
Too low wizard population you know?

So how about modifying the system a bit?
Have active wizards get read and write rights to fix things in the domains that have no real active wizard staff.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Strider
Adept

Seconds and Improper Information Flow

Post by Strider » 20 Jul 2011 21:23

It's not so much that I am arguing for the Domain paradigm, as that I think that there needs to be various mechanisms that help limit the spread of wiz info. I believe that most people involved honor the divisions to the best of their abilities, but as some have failed mightily, there ought to be some structures that help.

If not Domains, then what?
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Booger
Veteran

Re: Seconds and Improper Information Flow

Post by Booger » 20 Jul 2011 23:35

strider wrote:If not Domains, then what?
Then... LAVELLAN!
Isn't he, like, the über fixer, sweeping the whole Genesis for bugs, typos and ideas, patching, cleaning, fixing and donning everywhere?
Or is it just because of me never leaving Sparkle/Shire that he seems to pop up everywhere?
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Anahita
Adventurer

Re: Wizards and domains.

Post by Anahita » 20 Jul 2011 23:41

Rather than a silo of lets-pretend-things-are-actually-secrets by domain I'd could see wizards specializing in areas of responsibility (guilds, quests, equipment, environment, whatever.) It might lend some consistency to the coding and technical way to interact with the game (syntax) and ease the burden of the AoB team. I don't believe there are any secrets in Genesis anyway, having ptested the SC and seeing how quickly what would only have been "wiz info" was posted on discussion boards or brought up to me in out-of-game chats ("Is this true?" "FOADIAF.").

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jul 2011 00:01

Booger wrote:
strider wrote:If not Domains, then what?
Then... LAVELLAN!
Isn't he, like, the über fixer, sweeping the whole Genesis for bugs, typos and ideas, patching, cleaning, fixing and donning everywhere?
Or is it just because of me never leaving Sparkle/Shire that he seems to pop up everywhere?

He actually pops up everywhere :p
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jul 2011 00:03

strider wrote:It's not so much that I am arguing for the Domain paradigm, as that I think that there needs to be various mechanisms that help limit the spread of wiz info. I believe that most people involved honor the divisions to the best of their abilities, but as some have failed mightily, there ought to be some structures that help.

If not Domains, then what?

You are kidding yourself if you think that the Domain "secrecy" is helping the game at all.
By the way, it wouldnt really spread wizinfo more then it does now.
Cause all active wizards know whats going on in different domains, but they cant really fix stuff in other domains because of archaic write access restrictions.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 21 Jul 2011 00:13

Anahita wrote:I'd could see wizards specializing in areas of responsibility (guilds, quests, equipment, environment, whatever.) It might lend some consistency to the coding and technical way to interact with the game (syntax) and ease the burden of the AoB team.
Definitely!
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 21 Jul 2011 08:55

Anahita wrote:Rather than a silo of lets-pretend-things-are-actually-secrets by domain I'd could see wizards specializing in areas of responsibility (guilds, quests, equipment, environment, whatever.) It might lend some consistency to the coding and technical way to interact with the game (syntax) and ease the burden of the AoB team. I don't believe there are any secrets in Genesis anyway, having ptested the SC and seeing how quickly what would only have been "wiz info" was posted on discussion boards or brought up to me in out-of-game chats ("Is this true?" "FOADIAF.").
yep - in some domains the rooms are fancy coded with plenty interaction possibilities (i.e. look, exa sky, exa clouds, exa stars), while in other places you cannot even examine ground/floor/sky ("You find no ground"?!?!?)
such things are stupid and small, but they then move over to different syntaxes for doing exactly the same (i.e. granite war maul and giant black maul - 2 different syntaxes for 1/2-handed wielding ...) and further into questing, interacting with NPCs, etc. = a completely different feel&touch of the environment
I doubt that was intentional (for those, who want to come with the "it's different domains, idiot! it's supposed to be different!") and especially in questing (which, as we all realize by now, is NOT optional, maybe except for the small part of the community called explorers - means Booger for the most part)

secrets in Gen ... maybe for the first few weeks (moths?) you play it ... surely not later

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 21 Jul 2011 09:54

Never build stuff on top of a foundament of secrecy...it will at some point topple and fail miserably. Rather, if you must, make it hidden in plain view, for someone to find, reveal and exploit as part of the design.

No such thing as absolute secrecy. :D
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 22 Jul 2011 01:01

Laurel wrote:...questing (which, as we all realize by now, is NOT optional, maybe except for the small part of the community called explorers - means Booger for the most part)

secrets in Gen ... maybe for the first few weeks (moths?) you play it ... surely not later
Exploring and _not_ doing the quests?!? No way! I'm part of the "NOT optional" group!
And for secrets... Anyone actually learned the secrets about this Liwitch/parrot quest thingie? *peer*... Apart from that, I guess you're right.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/