Inquire (about name)

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Booger
Veteran

Inquire (about name)

Post by Booger » 15 Aug 2011 23:46

I'd like a new emote, "inquire <living>". Used as a polite request to someone to introduce himself.

Example: "inquire gnome"
I see: "You politely inquire the quiet timeworn male gnome about his name".
Others see: "<Enigma|The determined inquisitive male gnome> politely inquires <Onton|the quiet timeworn male gnome> about his name."
Onton sees: "<Enigma|The determined inquisitive male gnome> politely inquires about your name."
I think(hope) this is grammatically correct.

Reason:
When meeting new people it's standard for me (for most people) to present myself, but when meeting after that, it's impossible to know if they remember me or not (right)? So to not have to introduce every time "just to be on the safe side", it would be nice to have some formal way of asking for a reeintroduction.
This way, I won't feel pressured to present myself to everyone when they present themselves to me, just in case they presented themselves as a way of asking me to present myself.

(Yes, naturally my hidden motive for requesting an emote is for the possibility to make a trigger, introducing myself whenever someone asks me. What can I say? I'm lazy and semi-automatic. And I couldn't think of a good way to fix a trigger that wouldn't be too spammy.)

Putting it as a suggestion here, mainly to see others reactions on it, whether people will hate extra trigger-possibilities or maybe others already have a good way of automatically handling this?
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Iliana
Wanderer

Re: Inquire (about name)

Post by Iliana » 16 Aug 2011 14:38

Mental note... if this gets done be sure to setup triggers to ask for introductions from everyone then if they have a trigger to intro I can get a few new names in my memory. :D

An emote to request an introduction is a great idea, there is currently nothing for that particular thing and this would make it nice. Great idea...

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 17 Aug 2011 02:44

I love the idea of an emote to request someone's introduction. But that emote will be based more on whether *you* (the actor) remembers the other person, rather than the other way around. Having a command that reveals someone's internal mental state is probably providing a bit too much info. As much as it can be used to create wonderful triggers, it can also be used for abuse.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 Aug 2011 09:25

Petros: please look up the PM I've sent you about it.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 18 Aug 2011 00:54

petros wrote:...that emote will be based more on whether *you* (the actor) remembers the other person, rather than the other way around...
If I understood you correct, I think you misunderstood me. I'm just asking for an emote that I can use to to show you that I don't have you in my memory, and would wish for you to introduce yourself to me (again). Something that you can easily recognize and respond to by introducing yourself to me, if you don't mind introducing yourself.

I'm not asking for a way to figure out if you have me in my memory. That would be convenient and interesting, but it would definitely be wrong.

The "I see", "Onton sees" and "Others see" parts, would be based on whether they know me/Onton by name or not. No revelations (except that people would probably guess I don't remember Onton).
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Onton
Wanderer

Post by Onton » 24 Aug 2011 01:21

Good idea.
I would like to suggest something similar: A command/emote to request to join someone's team!

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 25 Aug 2011 00:20

This reminds me of how people use cell phones these days - not to actually have a *conversation* but as a tool to avoid having to talk to each other (text / email / apps).

Yah, I realize this makes me sound like an old fogie. So be it. :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/