RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for myths

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Recoba
Great Adventurer

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Recoba » 29 Sep 2011 20:50

Ashur wrote: However, updating the existing areas eliminates the realistic opportunity for those on opposite sides to fight together which seems unfortunate.
If it can ever be "realistic" that PoTs ally with Knights or MMs with Rangers, then the opportunities are already there in the game. I would argue they shouldn't, EVER, but if they really want to the guild leaders can always invent some lame excuse á la "the Krougs are a grave threat us all" and go out and form their little alliance and team away to their heart's content.

Mind you, I'd never go near any of those guilds if they did.

Ashur
Apprentice

Post by Ashur » 29 Sep 2011 21:44

Recoba wrote:
Ashur wrote: However, updating the existing areas eliminates the realistic opportunity for those on opposite sides to fight together which seems unfortunate.
If it can ever be "realistic" that PoTs ally with Knights or MMs with Rangers, then the opportunities are already there in the game. I would argue they shouldn't, EVER, but if they really want to the guild leaders can always invent some lame excuse á la "the Krougs are a grave threat us all" and go out and form their little alliance and team away to their heart's content.

Mind you, I'd never go near any of those guilds if they did.
I only say that because it seemed like it was a core part of what Gorboth wanted to accomplish with the creation of this area. Certainly, in the "normal" realms it would be ridiculous for Morgul Mages to enlist the aid of Ye Olde Rangers in order to slay some "threat." But I was gathering that Gorboth wanted to create an environment where your guild alliance does not mean anything other than different abilities.

Who knows, maybe I'm misinterpreting what was meant. But if the new area was treated as a completely different realm, conceptually, then it wouldn't matter any if Knights and Blue Dragonarmy soldiers teamed up because alliances mean nothing there.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 29 Sep 2011 21:56

Ashur wrote: Who knows, maybe I'm misinterpreting what was meant. But if the new area was treated as a completely different realm, conceptually, then it wouldn't matter any if Knights and Blue Dragonarmy soldiers teamed up because alliances mean nothing there.
Yeah, but I still think it'd screw up Genesis since it'd take the characters away from their whole world context. In that case I'd suggest creating a wholly different mini-mud for that purpose, where you just allow people to login and create a myth in any available guild and play, since it'd have no connection to the rest of the game content anyway.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Sep 2011 22:35

An entirely different approach to all of this would be extremely simple, and involve almost no coding time at all (i.e. about a day's work, and you'd have it done.)

It would be very easily possible to instance some of the large myth grinding areas the same way we instance the tutorial. This would make it so that some of the elite myth grind areas are inexhaustible, because each individual or team would have their own copy to play in.

It only just occurred to me, so I haven't weighed the pros and cons. I'm sure there are quite a few to consider!

Hmmm ...

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 29 Sep 2011 23:51

I've never been a myth nor do I see myself reaching that goal for quite some time but... I would rather see more indepth combat. Give people a true reason for wanting to reach Myth. For instance...

Isengaard raiding Minas Tirith. Turn it into an arena theme, available to Myths only and a carbon copy area so those under that level could still quest, death inside merely brings you to a healer where you must wait, kind of like dodgeball when your hit.

An area where you can join the attackers or defenders, more kills is more points, player kills is worth a bonus and players who go on killing streaks can initiate a bounty for their head which carries on into normal game play for extra points getting higher as the streak goes. Winning side gets upgraded troops for said realm and points can be spent on rewards from one of the many suggestion pages we have on here.

I dunno few thing I'm sure that I'm missing but from my phone so bit compiled. Wouldn't this be something more interesting for myths as compared to an upgraded grinding area? Not that I'm against said areas or grinders but G is petty much opening his arms saying speak! I would go for something special and pester about upgrading mobs later but that's just me. Plus if I knew that someone like Irk had a bounty that even a non myth was able to get points for I might just attempt a few traps for him.... ;-)

Wolverine
Adventurer

Post by Wolverine » 30 Sep 2011 00:10

What if you go to Sparkle and ask for a transfer at next armageddon to this Area and during whole next armaggedon are you in that "myth area" then you return next armageddon, for exploring, questing, battling, whatever.. just an idea.. to go to an area for life, when all the fun and interaction is in the regular world.. so thats my suggestion "the armageddon trip" :lol:

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Sep 2011 01:49

Celephias wrote: I think a simple fix would be to make the myth area more episodic - have it happen only at certain times more like an event than a constantly available area. This might give us the best of all worlds.
I personally think that is a really good idea. Not only will it let the myths roam the world with the rest of the people for most of the time, but it will also encourage a number of people to log in and play at the same time.

I think "episodic" or repeating automatic events, quests, areas, etc is a very good way to give people a reason to log in. Like the wednesday market for instance.

Of course players can do this as well, anyone can arrange an arena tournament, or a fireball tournament, or some other competition, or gathering of some sort. Not all events need to be wizard controlled.

Anyway, a little off topic, the main pont was I like the idea of the immortal area only being accessible at certain times. It makes it more special as well, and different from the usual grind.

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 30 Sep 2011 08:07

I think its an awesome idea!!

Titan

Post by Avatar » 30 Sep 2011 10:05

Many years ago, there was talk of an Immortal domain. I hated it then, and I hate the idea of a myth domain now.

I will not explain my reasons why, as several posts here has done that just fine.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Ashur
Apprentice

Post by Ashur » 30 Sep 2011 16:20

gorboth wrote:It would be very easily possible to instance some of the large myth grinding areas the same way we instance the tutorial. This would make it so that some of the elite myth grind areas are inexhaustible, because each individual or team would have their own copy to play in.
This could use some thought, indeed. I don't know how you've implemented your instancing, but if Myth A and Myth B are teamed and they enter an instanced area, will they be in the same instance? Is there anyway to make the an instanced area scale (Diablo 2 style)?

There are so many options for how what to do here, I think it's going to be hard to make everyone happy. It seems like the common problem that most people have is that they don't want you to take their Myths away.

I think the idea of having harder challenges for the Myths of the realms is a good idea. Like Greneth said, I'm not a myth nor will I be one anytime soon. It would be nice if we could hear from some of the myth players in this thread. What do they want? It's got to be, at least, semi-boring when everything in the realms is no challenge.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/