Facebook, here we come!

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Facebook, here we come!

Post by gorboth » 30 Sep 2011 22:38

Exciting and important progress continues, Genesis Community!

Today I logged into the game, for the first time, from ... Facebook. That's right! Facebook. Our good man Sandalphon has been outdoing himself lately, and he has taken our official client and rolled it into a facebook app. The app runs through the facebook environment but otherwise operates just like the Java client, and will make Genesis just one-click-away to anyone on Facebook.

Features of this sort of development can include:
  • Hosting of the game right on the Genesis Group FB page.
  • Notifications sent to the FB friends of any user playing via facebook (i.e. Basil Rathbone became a titan in GENESIS LPMUD today!) giving any of this player's friends the chance to click on that "GENESIS LPMUD" link to try the game themselves. Think Farmville notifications without the Farmville.
  • Notifications sent via FB to registered FB users of Genesis any time Armageddon is looming, events are beginning, or all sorts of other things.
The app is not yet available to try out as we want to work out a few more of the kinks before releasing it to the populace. Nonetheless, the importance of this development cannot be overstated. With the paper campaign and other strategies, we have been hoping to see many dozens of new people try Genesis out. Facebook is a whole new ball game, and done properly can bring thousands to try our game.

A bit scary, perhaps, but we will see what happens! I'll update this thread as more development occurs. No ETA for release yet, but I wanted to get everyone aware of this very huge move on our part.

Big time stuff!
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Iliana
Wanderer

Re: Facebook, here we come!

Post by Iliana » 01 Oct 2011 00:18

For years I have gotten those silly notices about so and so needs help with farmville or cityville or whatever... now they will be getting notices about Genesis... how cool!! Excellent work Sandalphon, thank you!

Sandalphon
Wizard

Post by Sandalphon » 03 Oct 2011 17:18

Please do remember that this is in its preliminary stages only. :)

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 04 Oct 2011 05:51

I hope you are prepared for an invasion of players that MIGHT happen...
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 05 Oct 2011 19:47

Iliana wrote:For years I have gotten those silly notices about so and so needs help with farmville or cityville or whatever... now they will be getting notices about Genesis...
Hahaha, the REVENGE!!! :twisted:

Cool news this.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 14 Aug 2012 20:50

Where is this project in terms of completion?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Aug 2012 22:19

Sandalphon remains our project lead on the development of the mud client. Plans remain to eventually get it on Facebook, but like with everything else, development has taken a hiatus during the recent months. I'll try to get a sense of where things stand soon.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 14 Aug 2012 22:49

I still think we should consider putting the Fmud-app on Facebook until Sandalphon's is completed. As you know I made a Genesis-styled one that worked pretty ok, definitely good enough for trying out the game.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/