Good Caster Guild?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: Good Caster Guild?

Post by Kitriana » 11 Mar 2010 20:03

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Do we need more guilds?
Do we need more magic users before the current system has been balanced?

Probably no to both.

But I guess this hole was left after the departure of the Mystics and yes it would be nice for players to have a well rounded choice.
Mystics were clerics.. not mages
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Mar 2010 20:57

They're all wussy magicians at the end of the day.
Use mana and you are a sissy. End of.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 11 Mar 2010 21:12

Scops very far from neutral in everything I ever saw of them.
All of Calia is pretty much anti evil.
SCOP is "thematically" a neutral guild similar to Vampires, however nearly every SC member plays a goodie while similar to the vampires nearly everyone of them was evil.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 11 Mar 2010 21:16

Wrong again.
Scop is thematically a good aligned guild (with in-Calian clear thematic reasoning for this, if you cant find it, it doesn't mean it isn't there) , who serves a generally neutral aligned pantheon. (Trust me you do not want to go evil aligned as scop). It has nothing to do with the members of the guild. Jaacar was not allowed to make us neutral when he created the scop.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 12 Mar 2010 00:51

Tarax, you don't like the minstrels?

Don't forget the archers can cast spells too and they gotta be good aligned ;)

-b

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 12 Mar 2010 14:06

Minstrels that write songs etc are cool.
These days after the super powered days came to an end most Minstrels are good ones. So no offence meant to them.

My dislike stems from the fact that for a long time having them as the only layman option for a gladiator etc just drove people into them who hated the concept, hated the roleplay and just wanted extra damage etc. There were a lot of people who just wanted the goods. Plus the idea of a song of power hurting something was very suspect, would have been more believable to use the harp as a bow and arrow or bash them with a lute.

The days when you had 3+ minstrels on the team and not a one did jack to do with being a minstrel were common.

So no I never liked them.
[/rant]
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 13 Mar 2010 05:04

some singing can be quite painful.

like carrie underwoods ending to the national anthem during the super bowl.

I went from fvw to rh in the span of seconds.

-b

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 13 Mar 2010 10:11

bromen wrote:some singing can be quite painful.

like carrie underwoods ending to the national anthem during the super bowl.

I went from fvw to rh in the span of seconds.

-b
Or celine dion : <

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 13 Mar 2010 11:27

Lol! I actually like Mrs. Dion. But getting back to the subject matter, I think there should be a casual player magic guild, like the mercs, and specialized magic guilds as well. I'd like to see the elementals open up a OCC branch. I'd like to see the necro OCC reopened and a revamp of spells that deal in deeper necromancy. Like damaging yourself to inflict damage to your target. I've always been a fan of the Rifts rpg bloodmagic.

How about a cleric guild? Seems that's missing and is an integral part of any fantasy rpg.

-b

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 13 Mar 2010 11:45

bromen wrote:Lol! I actually like Mrs. Dion. But getting back to the subject matter, I think there should be a casual player magic guild, like the mercs, and specialized magic guilds as well. I'd like to see the elementals open up a OCC branch. I'd like to see the necro OCC reopened and a revamp of spells that deal in deeper necromancy. Like damaging yourself to inflict damage to your target. I've always been a fan of the Rifts rpg bloodmagic.

How about a cleric guild? Seems that's missing and is an integral part of any fantasy rpg.

-b
Well, the Elementalists had an OCC branch in the past, but I don't know why they closed down the Elemental Walkers and later opened up the SCoP, which kinda is the OCC branch of the Elementalists.
But I totally agree that a more casual magic user guild would be a very nice addition. I'd still like to see someone take up the mantle of the Wizards of High Sorcery again, so that we could get a real wizard guild for everyone.

Also agreed on the dangers of using magic, that's a really like drawback I think. One should be able to gamble, and just fire off some destructive magic without much preparation, but a greater risk to oneself, but also take a more cautious approach and only use magic sparingly and with alot of preparations, to make it alot more failsafe.
So:
Lots of components + long time since last spell = fairly safe
Few to no components + short time since last spell = big chance of backfire

Add in factors that the game already uses, like where certain areas in-game makes your spells more potent, and also weaker if used outside those areas. That way you could have a wizard being really powerful in his own domain/wizards tower/etc, but alot more balanced outside of it.
Sounds like it could be good fun to me. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/